My Listening Room

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
With free hard bound coffee table book written by Ken Kessler. 20220302_215959.jpg
20220302_220026.jpg

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Phil....

congratulations on the new speaker. How do you like it compared to your previous
Thanks Steve. I have played it only briefly as my power amp is only on 'substitute' tubes. Can't play loud and long. But this little time I have showed me that these Quad speakers are really what they are in terms of realism, palpability and transparency. The Magnepans can be over open and transparent but the Quads just sound finer and more eerie in the sound stage and image portrayal. Waiting for my new set of tubes to refleet my power amp so I can test the Quads longer. It is what I expected it to be, so far.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
And, does it sound the same as what you remembered?
Yes! Many decades ago I heard an EMI Double Bass Concerto record on a large room with Quad 63s. I cannot forget that presentation. I bought that same LP and played it on my B&W and Magnepans, the realism is not there. So I tested it on these Quads and indeed, that magical realism is there, effortlessly. Like I can 'see' the musicians in front of me and hitting their bows on the violin and cello. Utterly amazing. Female vocals is also sounding the way I remembered. Vivid, palpable and a lot of emotion in the voices.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Phil

how would you compare these to Sam’s stack
Steve, I feel Sam's double 57s sound a tad more mellow than mine but has a little less detail and brilliance. All told, both speakers still possess the same smoothness and transparency.

Reactions: Steve Williams

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes! Many decades ago I heard an EMI Double Bass Concerto record on a large room with Quad 63s. I cannot forget that presentation. I bought that same LP and played it on my B&W and Magnepans, the realism is not there. So I tested it on these Quads and indeed, that magical realism is there, effortlessly. Like I can 'see' the musicians in front of me and hitting their bows on the violin and cello. Utterly amazing. Female vocals is also sounding the way I remembered. Vivid, palpable and a lot of emotion in the voices.

The magical realism of the ESL63, operated in their range, is hard to beat or even equate. They have the musical qualities - tonality and micro-dynamics at any level - and are true physical point like speakers. Curiously they appreciate medium/large rooms.

If the XLFs do not fit my new room because of height, my next system will probably based in ESL63 - four of them in a double L arrangement, mass loaded to the extreme. I will sacrifice the ultimate loudness, but in fact I have found that my friends appreciate my system in warp 9 mode or rock more than me ...

In order to play loud the ESL63 must be helped by the room. I have hope that a vaulted ceiling will be beneficial to them them.

Reactions: jadis

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
Steve, I feel Sam's double 57s sound a tad more mellow than mine but has a little less detail and brilliance. All told, both speakers still possess the same smoothness and transparency.
I have a pair of completely rebuilt ESL 63's and a pair of Entec 12-F20 subs which were designed for the 63's. Think full range Quad--just sublime. I may change amps, DACs and my other gear but my speakers and Extreme are here for the duration.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Phil

how would you compare these to Sam’s stack

No experience with Sam's stack, but I hosted a stack and ESL63 for some time. The stack needed the Decca ribbon tweeter, otherwise IMHO it would sound unbalanced, too full and mellow. Although impressive with some recordings, it would ultimately lack air and soundstage.

Retrospectively I preferred the sound of a single pair, listened at close distance, to the sound of the stack without the Decca ribbon. And I preferred the ESL63 by a wide margin to any of them.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The magical realism of the ESL63, operated in their range, is hard to beat or even equate. They have the musical qualities - tonality and micro-dynamics at any level - and are true physical point like speakers. Curiously they appreciate medium/large rooms.

If the XLFs do not fit my new room because of height, my next system will probably based in ESL63 - four of them in a double L arrangement, mass loaded to the extreme. I will sacrifice the ultimate loudness, but in fact I have found that my friends appreciate my system in warp 9 mode or rock more than me ...

In order to play loud the ESL63 must be helped by the room. I have hope that a vaulted ceiling will be beneficial to them them.
Totally agree with your findings, Micro. I was a bit weary that these 2812s (the taller one is called the 2912 - with an increase of 15" in height) will not fill up my 16 x 23 x 10 feet room but I am pleasantly happy that they can. Depth is very impressive, and width but of course I never expected them to sound 6 feet tall.

Reactions: microstrip

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I have a pair of completely rebuilt ESL 63's and a pair of Entec 12-F20 subs which were designed for the 63's. Think full range Quad--just sublime. I may change amps, DACs and my other gear but my speakers and Extreme are here for the duration.
That's great to hear, kswanson.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
This is how the room looks today. The Quads are in the exact position of the Magnepan 3.7i's. More bloom, more air, more natural bass.

11.jpg 12.jpg

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
looks quite different from when I visited, Phil
This was the room when you visited, Steve. Amp was still an Audio Research VS115 and the very old Magnepan 2.7s. Presently, the 3.7i's are tucked at the corner to make way for the new Quads.

1.1.jpg

Reactions: Audire

Asa

Dec 29, 2012
Hi Jadis. Congrats on the Quads. Once again, in addition to our Jadis and Koetsu history (I have a RSP), we have this in common. I had Quad US 63 monitors for 10 years. Ran them with 50W SET monos (all NOS tubed..GE211's, WE300Bs), an all tube pre, Omega Mikro Planar IV copper ribbon speaker wire...sheer heaven. Still miss it all. I'll be interested in your reactions over time. I had Quad 989s for a couple of years too, not as crazy about those...hmm, almost forgot about the 989s.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Jadis. Congrats on the Quads. Once again, in addition to our Jadis and Koetsu history (I have a RSP), we have this in common. I had Quad US 63 monitors for 10 years. Ran them with 50W SET monos (all NOS tubed..GE211's, WE300Bs), an all tube pre, Omega Mikro Planar IV copper ribbon speaker wire...sheer heaven. Still miss it all. I'll be interested in your reactions over time. I had Quad 989s for a couple of years too, not as crazy about those...hmm, almost forgot about the 989s.
Thanks, Asa. Very glad to see some audio gear mates. Lol. I'm presently looking for amps will be suitable for the Quads. Will update soon on how this goes on.

Asa

Dec 29, 2012
Hmm, how about some Wavac 805 monos...50W of SET? Owned those too for a few years (not the SETs I mentioned above. I had the Wavacs paired with some Line Magnetic LM755i speakers, but I bet they would still shine with Quads). Just an idea.

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
Thanks, Asa. Very glad to see some audio gear mates. Lol. I'm presently looking for amps will be suitable for the Quads. Will update soon on how this goes on.
I'm happy with my Benchmark but I've thought about in the future maybe taking a walk on the wild side with a "zeel. I keep reading about this sweet midrange.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing