My Little Barn

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Enjoy in great health! The system looks incredible.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I love the room, Sir. Looks an uplifting place to listen to renaissance, baroque and early classical :D

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
The first days of Autumn with a sharp drop of temperature. It was about time to put the listening place on fire and to open a bottle of red wine. This is going to be good weekend.

Last edited:

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
What an inviting listening environment. What wine will you be drinking?

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Latest upgrades to the A80 tape deck – Part 1

I got my tape deck back after an overhaul and a series of upgrades.

The overhaul comprises:
- New gold XLR connectors from Neutrik;
- New bearings for both spooling motors as well as new brakes;
- The replacement of all out of specs components on the transport control cards (few IC, capacitors and resistors).

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Latest upgrades to the A80 tape deck – Part 2

The upgrade comprises:

- The installation of the tape tension amplifiers from MTSL/Todor Dimitrov;
- The enhancement of the bespoke stabilizer card;
- The modification of the VU-meter bridge. The switches are bypassed by high quality relays installed on custom designed PCBs. Four new high precision potentiometers from DACT are replacing the old ones. New Vu-meters were fitted as well and a small circuit board was added which delays the start of the VU-meters until the power supply is fully stabilised. This prevents the VU-meter needles from swinging when firing up the tape deck;
- The bypass of the output transformers by a fully balanced circuit which is installed on a custom made audio card. The new circuit is much more linear than the original design.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Latest upgrades to the A80 tape deck – Part 3

Finally, larger castors are replacing the original ones. This has enabled to increase the clearance below the trolley so the Tenor Audio power amp and its dedicated pneumatic Stacore platform could fit beneath the tape deck.

The sonic improvements are not marginal. My tech has delivered beyond my expectations. The sound is more linear with greater transparency and enhanced dynamics.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
DCC, absolutely fantastic. We also bought an old building, our 1861 chapel, and it too was love at first sight. In London, it would have cost 5x what we paid fot it here, 80 miles from The Smoke. Cycling is great around here, and being next to water is pretty therapeutic. You couldn't get me to move back, even though in effect I've taken a pay cut to end up here, and feeding this beast of a building means my heavy lifting components upgrading is kinda behind me. I'm glad to see you're able to keep servicing this crazy hobby of ours!

One Q, was there any alternative to you siting yr gear on the front wall?
Could you have gone for side wall siting, or even behind you, a la Audioquattr?

Congrats on Stacore rack, for me the Advanced I have under my tt is in top 3 of most dramatic changes in my system and has both saved and revitalised my lps enjoyment. Pivotal change here just doesn't do the Stacore justice.

Reactions: Stacore

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
DCC, absolutely fantastic. We also bought an old building, our 1861 chapel, and it too was love at first sight. In London, it would have cost 5x what we paid fot it here, 80 miles from The Smoke. Cycling is great around here, and being next to water is pretty therapeutic. You couldn't get me to move back, even though in effect I've taken a pay cut to end up here, and feeding this beast of a building means my heavy lifting components upgrading is kinda behind me. I'm glad to see you're able to keep servicing this crazy hobby of ours!

One Q, was there any alternative to you siting yr gear on the front wall?
Could you have gone for side wall siting, or even behind you, a la Audioquattr?

Congrats on Stacore rack, for me the Advanced I have under my tt is in top 3 of most dramatic changes in my system and has both saved and revitalised my lps enjoyment. Pivotal change here just doesn't do the Stacore justice.

Hi Mark,

My barn is really small compared to Audioquattr's listening room. This was the only possible arrangement for the system. The Stacore rack and platforms are indeed fantastic products.

Kind regards,

Denis

Reactions: Stacore

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Cathedral roof/30° eaves really works here too, despite mine starting much lower than yours. I'd always imagined this would not work re eaves related reflections. But our experience says otherwise.

My only other suggestion to you would be to consider adding diffusion to your door.

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
Wow, My systems generally look good or sound good, seldom if ever both. Congrats.

Reactions: dcc

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ah DCC, I indeed see your door is acousically treated.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Latest upgrades to the A80 tape deck – Part 1

I got my tape deck back after an overhaul and a series of upgrades.

The overhaul comprises:
- New gold XLR connectors from Neutrik;
- New bearings for both spooling motors as well as new brakes;
- The replacement of all out of specs components on the transport control cards (few IC, capacitors and resistors).

Great work on the A80! Can I ask what were the ICs that were out of spec?

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
I just checked as my tech gave me all the parts he replaced and I found one little IC among all the capacitors and resistors. I will need to ask him on which transport control card it was located.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
DCC, maybe you can advise me. I'm struggling a bit w the SMT website, hopefully their products create a clearer result than my search LOL.

I'm looking at a potentially serious application of panels in my room, and have whittled contenders down to GIK, Accustica Applicata, Tube Traps and SMT.

How did you decide on them, and then go ahead? I have a potential 14x6 area of front wall I can apply diffusors to, plus the usual corner traps and side walls reflection points.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
DCC, maybe you can advise me. I'm struggling a bit w the SMT website, hopefully their products create a clearer result than my search LOL.

I'm looking at a potentially serious application of panels in my room, and have whittled contenders down to GIK, Accustica Applicata, Tube Traps and SMT.

How did you decide on them, and then go ahead? I have a potential 14x6 area of front wall I can apply diffusors to, plus the usual corner traps and side walls reflection points.

Hi Mark,

I reckon that the SMT website is confusing and not up to date.

My listening room is also the living room. The treatment had to be stealthy. The large acrylic diffusers from SMT were somehow the obvious choice as they are not too visually intrusive.

Flyer, who is a close friend and a member here helped me in the process. He has a fully treated SMT room. He made all the measurements and interacted with Mats, SMT’s boss, who validated the contemplated options.

Kind regards,

Denis

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing