Mytek Stereo192-DSD DAC

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
What exactly are you contributing to this thread about the Mytek DAC? Do you own one? Have you heard one? Are you in the market for one? How does your sentence about people listen to DACs for a short period of time contribute to anything being said on this thread about Mytek DACs? What is the point? How does it tye in?

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
Does anyone know if the Mytek Stereo192-DSD DAC's analog outputs are fully balanced, or do they use an extra inverter op amp stage like the MH LIO-8 to achieved their balanced outputs?

tailspn

Jun 28, 2011
Does anyone know if the Mytek Stereo192-DSD DAC's analog outputs are fully balanced,..

There are no released schematics of Mytek products, so you would have to ask Michal of Mytek. I do know the post DAC filters, and output buffers, of the Mytek 8X192 are fully differential and balanced though.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
One thing I can tell you since I switched from using the RCA outputs from the Mytek to my preamp to the XLR outputs from the Mytek is the output level appears to be considerably higher with the XLR outputs.

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Ted-I agree on all counts. I assumed the Mytek XLR connections are truly balanced because of the increased gain that is very noticable. I can't turn my Krell KBL volume knob close to 9:00 without blowing the walls down in my room. I would also say the sound is just a bit more pristine as well via balanced connections. But then, maybe the hotter signal just sounds cleaner. Either way, I prefer using the XLR connections. The amount of power that the Mytek will load your room with has to be heard to be believed and appreciated. I think it sounds great from top to bottom. I know some have faulted the very top end compared to the mega-priced competition, but I don't own the mega-priced competition.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Was there ever a comparison made with the Playback Designs?

Bruce has commented on the differences between the Mytek and the Playback Designs.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I've had this in the system 24/7 for about 2 weeks now and can say I prefer this over the DAC section in the Korg MR2000s. This thing really shines in the bass department. The leading transients on plucked bass are sharp and authoritative. There is no grain or smearing in the high end. I can play the same DSD file from the Sonoma going through the PD MPS-5 and then from HQPlayer going into the Mytek and I prefer the bass from the Mytek! In the mid region, it’s an even playing field. I can’t tell them apart. On bells, cymbals, and recorded sibilance, I prefer the PB. It’s not night and day though and you can’t make the determination from an A/B comparison. The factor I go upon is, does it capture your attention when you’re doing something else? When I’m doing tape transfers, breaking in equipment and such, I do other things like editing or house cleaning. If I hear something out of the ordinary, I can immediately catch it. I was breaking in the Mytek and Muddy Waters was playing. I immediately stopped what I was doing and actually wanted to turn it up and listen! This thing got my attention. It’s something on the order of like listening to CD’s all day and then suddenly a 24-bit file gets played. It gets your attention and you don’t want to do anything else but relax and enjoy the music!

Bruce,
Did you carry a similar comparison between the Mytek and the PB using PCM files?

Tom B.

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Mytek Volume Control, help...

Can anyone help me get a better insight on how the Mytek volume control functions? My current setup is music server (laptop running FooBar) --->> Benchmark DAC1--->> Preamp (Krell KPS25s). Volume on the server is set to maximum, DAC1 in 'calibrated mode' +4dBu @ -20 dBFS, Krell preamp controls system volume. I've come to like this control scheme as there exists only one way to make a deliberate volume change (only my Krell preamp changes volume without deliberate action on the other components).

The Mytek Stereo 192 DSD-DAC volume control has a few functions I don't quite understand. The options for the control are Analog, Digital, and Bypass, along with a second menu level of volume trim. I'm trying to figure out if the Mytek can be configured like my DAC1 where the output is preset to a particular level, leaving little chance of inadvertent gain change by fiddling with the DAC's volume knob.

What is the output level in Bypass mode? Didn't find that scouring the technical docs....

Thanks-
Tom B.

mytek

Nov 4, 2012
Can anyone help me get a better insight on how the Mytek volume control functions? My current setup is music server (laptop running FooBar) --->> Benchmark DAC1--->> Preamp (Krell KPS25s). Volume on the server is set to maximum, DAC1 in 'calibrated mode' +4dBu @ -20 dBFS, Krell preamp controls system volume. I've come to like this control scheme as there exists only one way to make a deliberate volume change (only my Krell preamp changes volume without deliberate action on the other components).

The Mytek Stereo 192 DSD-DAC volume control has a few functions I don't quite understand. The options for the control are Analog, Digital, and Bypass, along with a second menu level of volume trim. I'm trying to figure out if the Mytek can be configured like my DAC1 where the output is preset to a particular level, leaving little chance of inadvertent gain change by fiddling with the DAC's volume knob.

What is the output level in Bypass mode? Didn't find that scouring the technical docs....

Thanks-
Tom B.

Mytek Stereo192.-dsd-dac in bypass mode outputs on XLRs +4dBu = -18dB which is 2 dB less than your setup with Benchmark, you can just put it in place of previous DAC and set its volume to bypass.

Hope this helps, Regards, Michal at Mytek New York

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I want to say thanks to Michal for building such a great DAC and bringing it in at a price that most can afford! I love mine.

firedog

Mar 21, 2011
Mytek volume modes:

Analog: turning volume knob engages analog volume control (1db steps)
Digital: volume knob engages digital volume control (1db steps)
Preamp Bypass: no volume control, set output (like a DAC with no volume attenuator)
Volume trim: you can change volume level (max) from -18db to -14db in 1db steps; this is either analog or digital depending on how you have the above volume settings
Explained in the DAC manual that you can download at mytekdigital.com

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I want to say thanks to Michal for building such a great DAC and bringing it in at a price that most can afford! I love mine.

+1

And thanks again Michal for letting me bring one of your demo units at RMAF, still no DSD files but PCM is sounding great!

Tom B.

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Mytek Stereo192.-dsd-dac in bypass mode outputs on XLRs +4dBu = -18dB which is 2 dB less than your setup with Benchmark, you can just put it in place of previous DAC and set its volume to bypass.

Hope this helps, Regards, Michal at Mytek New York

Thanks Michal, and everyone, for your responses. Much appreciated. I had not been online for almost a week (long Sandy story.....) and was glad to see Michal had joined the forum.

Also excited to confirm that the Stereo 192 will basically drop in and replace my Benchmark.

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing