Natural Sound

Yes Tim. After a couple of hours, one of my friends requested to hear some female vocals. We played one of the records he brought. The other friend then wanted to plug in a portable streamer/DAC/headphone amp he had brought. Hearing the same track on both confirmed for them that the tonal balance was from the vinyl chain somewhere, so I began to adjust the arm.

They both had commented that her voice lacked a sense of her chest. It seemed to come from her mouth/throat. I first increased the VTA by 0.05 and then again by another 0.05 g. That gave it some more weight but very slightly reduced openness and “air”. We listened some more and I then lowered the arm a bit. Then they both agreed they could hear “her chest”. She sounded more real. It was an LP one of them brought but I can’t recall what it was.

The next day I spent some time fine tuning some more with a variety of records and very slightly lowered the VTF and the arm a bit more. Before they came to visit, I set it to favor a bit more openness, but the tonal balance was a bit tipped up and there was a slight lack of weight to brass and voice. Final confirmation was made with the Solti Mahler 8th.

Edit: At the end, both musician friends said that you can learn a lot by just listening to the human voice. That is why I posted the video of the Holst recording after I made slight adjustments to the arm and having been reminded of the music by Tang.

Fascinating ... thanks!

I recently picked up a copy of this LP in good condition and it's stunning. What a recording!

It is!

Lot's of fine Holst and other English composers on Argo and Lyrita. Great labels.

Holst Argo ZRG 5495.jpeg
Argo ZRG 5495 - I try for the oval labels,

Holst Lyrita SRCS 34.jpeg
Lyrita SRCS 34

Holst Lyrita  SRCS. 56.jpeg
Lyrita SRCS 56

Lyrita Lollipops SRCS. 47.jpeg
Lyrita SRCS 47

Lyrita Malcom Arnold.jpg
Lyrita SRCS 109 - not so unobtanium as in the HP rave days.

I am still getting used to owning tube gear, and the joys of biasing and replacing tubes. I ordered five complete sets of matched tubes for my phono and preamp, and three sets for the amps from Lamm about six months ago. Below is a worm's eye view of the left chanel. I also just installed my old Colibri XPP (plastic, platinum) on my back arm. A good friend and I compared the XPP to my Colibri Grand Cru, both on identical arms, yesterday while making final adjustments to the former. The two cartridges sound slightly different, but the resemblance is clear. My friend said that both sound extremely natural, meaning believable and convincing, though the tone and emphasis was very slightly different with each cartridge.

We listened to Frans Helmerson playing Crumb's Sonata for Solo Cello on BIS LP-65 Stereo along with some other recordings. We both remarked that we did not have a preference, or rather appreciated the differences. It was as though there were two great cellists playing two different instruments, but both equally engaging. The XPP was a bit more direct and energetic with a bolder sound, while the Grand Cru sounded just a tad more relaxed, a bit sweeter and more nuanced with the string harmonics and wood tone. The instrument was also a bit further back in the stage. I thought the GC was slightly more resolving, but if not heard back to back, just seconds apart, it would have been quite difficult to describe any meaningful differences.

I listened to more music today with the new tubes in the amps. My impressions of the two cartridges remains the same. The older one is just slightly less nuanced but really engaging. There is a solidity to bass and brass and drums, more impact and weight. The newer cartridge is more nuanced with a slightly more articulate leading edge on cymbals, better separation between instruments, more string texture and piano decay. It may also be slightly more extended. Voices are very close.

EDIT: For Tima, here are some more specifics about the cello sound: With both cartridges, the wood cello body sounded very resonant and hollow. The weight was slightly more with the XPP, but the woodiness and and hollowness was more defined with the GC. It was more rich and colorful with the GC. The pizzicato was quicker with the XPP emphasizing the leading edge slightly more, while there was more tone and vibration with the GC. It was as thought the fingers were softer with the GC, quicker and stappier with the XPP. Bowing was more solid with the XPP but the GC has more string texture and detail. The decay was good with both, but the GC seemed a bit longer. Scale was appropriate with both having lots of energy but no defined edge. The XPP was a bit more upright and demanding attention, while the GC was more relaxed with more flow. These differences were subtle, but noticeable, and these differences were consistent with other acoustic music. EDIT

I do not know if I could choose one over the other. Perhaps I will play more classical and choir with the GC and more jazz/rock with the XPP. This is one reason I am really beginning to appreciate having a turntable that can accomodate two arms. Their may be a slight influence from the SUT that I am using on the back arm and into the MM phono input. It is a Jensen external SUT very similar to the Jensen internal SUT on the Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe, but it is spec'd to match the LP1.1 Signature's internal SUT plus it has one extra set of SME phono cables into the phono input.

These two cartridges are a good illustration for me that there are different degrees of natural sound. Both sound right, but they are very slightly different. I do not know much about different cellos, nor have I listened to Helmerson ever play his instrument, but my friend and I sure thought we were in his presence listening yesterday, and thinking only about his performance of Crumb's music. Cartridge differences and the system itself were quickly forgotten.

IMG_2662.JPG

IMG_2670.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Peter

I’m a little surprised you had to return the amps - you haven’t had them that long? Did you change both the small signal tubes as well as the 6c33b?

cheers

Andy

Hi Peter

I’m a little surprised you had to return the amps - you haven’t had them that long? Did you change both the small signal tubes as well as the 6c33b?

cheers

Andy
Apologies - autocorrect sabotaged my message

“ surprised you had to retube the amps”

Apologies - autocorrect sabotaged my message

“ surprised you had to retube the amps”

Hello Andy, I did not return the amps. I simply replaced the large tubes. These are the original ML2 amplifiers. They might be about 15-20 years old. I do not know how old the tubes were. I also leave all equipment on 24/7 and don’t know how that affects the age of the tubes.

Last edited:
Hello Andy, These are the original ML2 amplifiers. They might be about 15 years old. I do not know how old the tubes were. I also leave all equipment on 24/7 and don’t know how that affects the age of the tubes.
I see. I dont know the actual pro/con of leaving on vs on/off - will certainly be amp dependent. I don’t leave my amps running all the time - they consume about a kW, so that was one reason. I’m also a little concerned about having a failure when I’m not there to turn it off. I’ve had tube amps for many years and always turned them off after a session.

Leaving Lamm on 24/7 will sound crystal clear great every moment but probably take tube life out quick. My amps take 3 hrs to get ultimate transparency. I just retubed my GM70 after 2 and a half yr. The output, the loudness is higher back to the way it used to. Transparency is not at the old level yet.

Hi Peter,

Thank you for this interesting and thoughtful cartridge comparison!

Not to be annoying, but I am a little bit confused by the see-saw of the adjectives.

How can the XPP be quicker and emphasize the leading edge more, but the GC has more detail?

How can the GC have more detail, but sound more relaxed?

What is "flow"?

Thank you!

Hello Andy, These are the original ML2 amplifiers. They might be about 15 years old. I do not know how old the tubes were. I also leave all equipment on 24/7 and don’t know how that affects the age of the tubes.

I think you must be the first leaving tube amps, preamp, or phono on all the time

Reactions: djsina2
I think you must be the first leaving tube amps, preamp, or phono on all the time
No he’s not, Lamm actually recommends leaving their gear on 24/7 unless one is away for while. According to Lamm the sudden surge of power from turn on will wear out the electronic components and tubes leaving them on prolongs their lifespan.

david

No he’s not, Lamm actually recommends leaving their gear on 24/7 unless one is away for while. According to Lamm the sudden surge of power from turn on will wear out the electronic components and tubes leaving them on prolongs their lifespan.

david

Oh ok.

Reactions: lordcloud

david
Ok. I will leave them on Mon-Friday. Good to know.

Hi Peter,

Thank you for this interesting and thoughtful cartridge comparison!

Not to be annoying, but I am a little bit confused by the see-saw of the adjectives.

How can the XPP be quicker and emphasize the leading edge more, but the GC has more detail?

How can the GC have more detail, but sound more relaxed?

What is "flow"?

Thank you!

No worries Ron. I’m used to annoying questions. My gut is to follow Tim’s suggestion and just say I tried to describe what I heard, but here is my attempt at clarification.

1. The overall impression of the XPP is that it sounds quicker because there is slightly more emphasis on the leading edge and less on the decay. The duration of the notes sounds very slightly shorter. Of course the music is not faster but the impression is that the cellist is playing faster or in a slightly more aggressive style. The slight emphasis on the leading edge does not mean that the leading edge is more resolved or detailed it just means it sounds slightly louder.

2. The Grand Cru seems slightly more resolving. There is more nuance within each note and about the space in which the instruments are being played. The note and it’s development is both more complex and complete so I hear more detail. This degree of resolution and completion makes me feel more relaxed and the slightly less transient emphasis makes the music sound slightly more relaxed but not slower.

3. Flow is a weird word. Others use it so I tried to incorporate it in my description. Perhaps I will fail. The GC portrays the note more completely with less emphasis on the transient. The decays are longer and hang in space to interact and overlap with other notes from other instruments. This creates a better sense of nuance and with the added information retrieval and information about the space and spatial relationships between the instruments there is more ambience.
The music just seems to progress smoother a little bit better than with the XPP where the transient is more emphasized and the note is shorter and disappears.

These are all very subtle degrees and I am struggling with language to describe the differences between these cartridges which are actually very similar. The differences were much more pronounced when I compared the XPP to my old airtight supreme and MSL signature gold and when I compare the GC to the opus one and the atlas Lambda across various systems.

Those who have the Sme 3012R and adjust VTA with the playing cards will understand that once you get it into the right range of about 4-5 cards, the difference become quite subtle when adding or removing the cards. I find that I can very slightly change the character of the sound by very small movements. The differences I am describing are on that level. They may even have more to do with the set up on each arm then they do with inherent differences between the cartridges, though I do think the gold versus the platinum windings might account for some of it. I can also slightly change the sound of each cartridge with very small changes to the tracking force. Less force results in a more open sound but you sacrifice a little bit of weight. If the tracking force is too high the sound is closed in and you lose resolution, so it’s a real balancing act.

I also mentioned that the SUTs are slightly different and the external one has the extra phono cable. I made a recording of the same cartridge on the same arm going into the two different SUTs and David heard the subtle difference. So this is likely playing a role in the impressions also.

Anyway, I hope that clarifies it a bit. Without the two cartridges on identical arms on the same table allowing me to do direct comparisons within seconds, I’m not sure the subtle differences are very significant or meaningful for the enjoyment of the music. As I say, I like these cartridges both very much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tim Link and tima
I see. I dont know the actual pro/con of leaving on vs on/off - will certainly be amp dependent. I don’t leave my amps running all the time - they consume about a kW, so that was one reason. I’m also a little concerned about having a failure when I’m not there to turn it off. I’ve had tube amps for many years and always turned them off after a session.
Same here. When I leave the house, all tube gear is turned off

I don't want my beloved house burnt-down in case of a tube failure while I'm away or even worse, when I'm alseep :eek:

david
I tend to leave line level devices on where the turn on often stresses the tubes. However, for amps, the output tubes typically have such short lifespans compared to small signal tubes I would not leave them on all the time...you will be replacing tubes every year that way for no good reason. I have found my amps reach stable sound after about 30-45 minutes...no need to leave on all the time.

Reactions: christoph
I tend to leave line level devices on where the turn on often stresses the tubes. However, for amps, the output tubes typically have such short lifespans compared to small signal tubes I would not leave them on all the time...you will be replacing tubes every year that way for no good reason. I have found my amps reach stable sound after about 30-45 minutes...no need to leave on all the time.
You’re right about other brands I’m only repeating Lamm’s recommendation for their products and living with the same amps for over 20 years in daily service.

david

I also mentioned that the SUTs are slightly different and the external one has the extra phono cable. I made a recording of the same cartridge on the same arm going into the two different SUTs and David heard the subtle difference. So this is likely playing a role in the impressions also.
The platinum coil wires of the XPP do have a much higher DC resistance than the golden GC coils. It was always difficult for me to find a good matching MC stage for my former XPW (African grenadille wood corpus). If you have the chance, you might ask AJ for the DC resistance of your dedicated XPP (this is a function of the output voltage and the assembled magnet) and than get a customized step up for this rare cartridge. I liked the platinum coils a lot and still prefer them over the gold coils.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing