Natural Sound

The reason we can enjoy "low fidelity" (your car radio, for example) is simply because we have lower expectations and as a result we focus on the music, not the system. There's nothing wrong with that, and I enjoy music in a variety of settings. This is how most of us experienced music at home for a number of years before we became "audiophiles".
End of parenthesis.

Reactions: adyc and MRJAZZ
I rather think of "natural sound" as one which is simply totally engaging and relaxing. That is really the only criteria we need. Improvements that bring us closer to that state of nirvana are always obvious. It's intuitive.

I am not sure we need to ask ourselves whether what we hear from our system at home sounds like a live performance, because it simply is not and never will be.

Perhaps I am staring the obvious?

No, not obvious at all. I feel strongly that much of the talking past each other and consternation we see on and experience on WBF is due to not recognizing that there are different and equally valid high-end audio objectives, and to not understanding, before commencing the discussion, the differing viewpoints of people arising from these different objectives.

I would put you in Objective 3) create a sound subjectively pleasing to the audiophile.

Natural sound is not exclusive to any of the objectives.

No, not obvious at all. I feel strongly that much of the talking past each other and consternation we see on and experience on WBF is due to not recognizing that there are different and equally valid high-end audio objectives, and to not understanding, before commencing the discussion, the differing viewpoints of people arising from these different objectives.

I would put you in Objective 3) create a sound subjectively pleasing to the audiophile.

Natural sound is not exclusive to any of the objectives.

Hopkins and I are not talking past each other. We simply disagree and have different goals and values.

I can relax to a lot of audio systems, especially when I have some wine, the music is good, and there is a convivial atmosphere conducive to relaxation. If the music is engaging, I can be engaged listening to my truck radio.
Peter I can imagine the conversation.… but officer, I’m only drinking the wine while driving to make the music in my truck more engaging… :eek:

Peter I can imagine the conversation.… but officer, I’m only drinking the wine while driving to make the music in my truck more engaging… :eek:

That is pretty funny Tao. I got pretty engaged when I heard The Pretenders' "My City was Gone" leading into one of my favorite radio shows. The head banging and air drumming must have distracted some fellow motorists back in those glory days of talk radio.

Reactions: the sound of Tao
That is pretty funny Tao. I got pretty engaged when I heard The Pretenders' "My City was Gone" leading into one of my favorite radio shows. The head banging and air drumming must have distracted some fellow motorists back in those glory days of talk radio.
Making sure there’s plenty of good music available at all times is the go and if the car has a sound that has a good tonal balance and is relatively coherent (often simple speaker systems can help) there’s plenty of moving music engagement even without wine (apparently :eek: )… the same basic essential qualities that an iPhone based video recording can convey.

It’s truly horrible when you’re in someone else’s car for a reasonably long trip and they torture you with their hifi playlist though… omg!!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Bobvin and PeterA
Making sure there’s plenty of good music available at all times is the go and if the car has a sound that has a good tonal balance and is relatively coherent (often simple speaker systems can help) there’s plenty of moving music engagement even without wine (apparently :eek: )… the same basic essential qualities that an iPhone based video recording can convey.

It’s truly horrible when you’re in someone else’s car for a reasonably long trip and they torture you with their hifi playlist though… omg!!

Fortunately, I never find myself in that situation. I did spend three days driving with one daughter from Boston to Dallas for college. We listened to a lot of country music, with a stop in Nashville too. What a good time.

I listen to the YouTube system videos friends send me streaming to my truck radio. It is a JBL system. It sounds not bad at all, certainly better than my desk top computer speakers, and I dislike headphones, so that truck system gives me a pretty good idea of the way those systems sound. Absurd, I know.

I find car stereos are often way less fatiguing than many audiophile setups.

Because of limited frequency bandwidth and because you usually don't play them that loud. Try to crank up the volume on classical radio to a level comparable to relatively loud listening at home. The distortions can be quite unbearable (piano is an easily identified major offender there).

Reactions: Bobvin
No to all of that. It's as simple as countless audiophile setups are just fatiguing. The car might be a bit boring but few of them grind my ears.

Bad tweaks, bad parts internally, bad power conditioner designs, bad cables, etc. They're the source of problems. Most of them come from good intentions.

No to all of that.

Again, try cranking up classical solo piano on your car radio. You'll be unpleasantly surprised at the grating level of distortion (unless your car stereo is really fancy, mine is run-of-the-mill). At the usual more or less background listening levels it will sound fine.

I am disagreeing with your view that the two hands of the pianist have "nothing to do with imaging."

On the one hand you distain pinpoint imaging, but on the other hand the aural visualization of the two hands of the pianist is ineluctably pinpoint imaging.
“Ineluctably” - now that’s an uncommon word :)

Reactions: Mike Lavigne
It's as simple as countless audiophile setups are just fatiguing.
This could be a good question and it needs new topic in WBF:
Why most audiophile setups are not as good as our expectation?

My answer is :
Audio is not simple/easy.

I find car stereos are often way less fatiguing than many audiophile setups.
+1.
In home audio, the direct sound from loudspeakers don't reach to the listener due to angled cone of woofers. The almost direct sounds hit side walls, floor, and ceiling 1st (and many times) before they reach to a listener. Therefore, they sound bright, far back vocal sounds, and veiled. The ears must be very close to loudspeakers (4~7ft) to hear some direct sounds.

In the car, our ears are very close to speakers and we hear more direct sounds. Also, the car interior is like a recording studio that 70-80% of surface is covered with sound absorbing materials.
Alex/Wavetouch

+1.
In home audio, the direct sound from loudspeakers don't reach to the listener due to angled cone of woofers. The almost direct sounds hit side walls, floor, and ceiling 1st (and many times) before they reach to a listener. Therefore, they sound bright, far back vocal sounds, and veiled. The ears must be very close to loudspeakers (4~7ft) to hear some direct sounds.

In the car, our ears are very close to speakers and we hear more direct sounds. Also, the car interior is like a recording studio that 70-80% of surface is covered with sound absorbing materials.
Alex/Wavetouch

There are several aspects in a car. Battery powered and all one system without a lot of the electrical flaws people don't know they build into gear... soft paper drivers, etc.

When you buy a Lexus LFA then you receive a complete package and all things are ready to let you enjoy your sport car but when you decide to buy a high end audio system you should care about many things like :
- understanding good sound
- your home wall electricity quality and the right solution
- the matching of loudspeaker to your room acoustic
- matching of amplifier/speaker
- speaker position (you should put over 200 hours for speaker placement)
- buying good audio components in this market
- and ...

actually buying a complete high end audio system is just 20% of process and you know most audio setups never goes over 20% of their real performance.

This means most audio setups are not interesting.

I always recommend to contact an expert for start, Audio game is not easy/simple if you look for good result.

Last edited:
I have made some changes to my room. The resulting sound can be heard in these videos. I have also included a system video link in my signature. I think such system videos can tell readers more about a system and the owner's approach to the hobby than any list of components or written description.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu