Natural Sound

Ron your room is awesome! Rhapsody has beautiful looking mire natural type rooms as well.

My plans of a dedicated room were blown out of the water yesterday when the builder gave me his price - 400k extra. It’s not worth that!
20 years ago i paid about $170k for my whole 1800 sqft barn remodel, with about $65k of it for specialized dedicated room issues. the upstairs was just an unfinished hayloft, the downstairs had a 3/4 bathroom, other wise horse stalls. the structure was only 4 years old, but we had to add windows and replace garage doors with doors and walls.

since then invested another $15k in room mods plus added the Equi=tech panel.

today it might be $600k-$700k (maybe more) for the same thing.

my investment in the remodel likely added a lot to my property value, and if i ever sell my home it will end up being maybe my best hifi ROI ever. the only negative is a few years after my remodel the County discovered that the building had been improved, and my R.E. taxes jumped up.

Reactions: bonzo75 and Audire
20 years ago i paid about $170k for my whole 1800 sqft barn remodel, with about $65k of it for specialized dedicated room issues. the upstairs was just an unfinished hayloft, the downstairs had a 3/4 bathroom, other wise horse stalls. the structure was only 4 years old, but we had to add windows and replace garage doors with doors and walls.

since then invested another $15k in room mods plus added the Equi=tech panel.

today it might be $600k-$700k (maybe more) for the same thing.

my investment in the remodel likely added a lot to my property value, and if i ever sell my home it will end up being maybe my best hifi ROI ever. the only negative is a few years after my remodel the County discovered that the building had been improved, and my R.E. taxes jumped up.

The house we were buying was only a million. I couldn’t see investing another 40% of the home value for an audio room. At this price I was still purchasing the materials (specialized sheet rock, insulation, outlets, 10 gauge wiring, lighting, curtains, etc.). All the builder was doing was putting it together!

We‘re going to look back into turning our sizable back porch area into an Audio room in our current home. Because of the present state of the economy the building industry is beginning to slow down in FL so I may get someone to do it now - lots of difficulty before ….

People seem to want to discuss their custom rooms on my thread even though it is off topic. I don’t get it. Here is some information about my room:

My house was built in 1790. At some point the living room had a fire so the molding does not match the earlier less ornate molding in the rest of the house. There are three windows and the door plus the fireplace. You could call it a vintage room. The system is more or less vintage also with modern electronics. The speakers and cartridge are from 1960. The carpet is Persian. The furniture is old except for the contemporary leather sofa. The paintings are old. We stripped all of the lead paint from the woodwork and floor and exposed the original wide pine floorboards.

The acoustics are decent, though the ceiling is low and the room is fairly small. I’m happy to discuss rooms and how they function as listening rooms. A lot of it has to do with the choice of the system and the set up and how it interacts with the room.

I did not spend hundreds of thousands of dollars creating a dedicated audio room. With the exception of my American sound AS 2000 turntable, my system is actually fairly inexpensive compared to what people are discussing in this HIEND forum. The electric system for the room is completely new and very carefully designed for the audio system with the help of David Karmeli. Everything from the wire to the outlets to the grounding cable to the panel location is carefully considered.

The approach to natural sound is holistic.

Last edited:
I am big believer in non dedicated listening rooms as well, as that is music. Dedicated rooms are sounds, and should only be used to protect yourself and your gear from kids and cats.

My dream room would be a giant warehouse style with massive dual FLH horns and a squat cage in the centre, and a kitchen and workstation. So you eat, work, workout all there with music
I also prefer the objective of using a functional living room as Peter has for listening… it’s very natural in that it is a familiar and coherent context to the rest of the home and fits naturally into the feeling of the personal and inviting… and talking about living the dream the ideal room could be a size that could even fit in a small jazz or classical group on occasions (sigh). So my ideal is a naturally well proportioned acoustic space with nice comforting textures with fairly natural/normal room functionality with music well integrated into the everyday routines of natural daily life… and even some otherwise normal music loving people in there at times. So otherwise normal people find themselves connecting with our weird sport. The dedicated listening retreat approach has great advantages in terms of control but some potential tendency to also (for good or for bad) create disconnects for me.

My choice would have been strongly influenced by the first half of my working life I worked in camera and direction in film and television studios with sound recording facilities so specially treated rooms with acoustic tiles and studio chairs always reminds me of work and production more than music… so maybe that’s also why I’ve always avoided the dedicated studio with single chair aesthetic.

Probably that context also then directs me across into a high efficiency high directivity speaker choice. I do think the strategy we choose be it separate dedicated or integrated fundamentally shapes the way our considerable listening time we spend then maps into the rest of our lives.

Dare I say it natural sounds in a fairly natural room? Maybe not… but maybe that instinct to integrate our music listening into normal life is reflective of the desire to fit our passions into an otherwise normal living routine and not something that keeps us separate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amir and PeterA
I also prefer the objective of using a functional living room as Peter has for listening… it’s very natural in that it is a familiar and coherent living space that easily is in the context of something personal and inviting… talking about living the dream the ideal room could be a size that could even fit in a small jazz or classical group on occasions… so in ideal terms a naturally well proportioned acoustic space with nice comforting textures with fairly natural/normal room functionality with music well integrated into the everyday routines of natural daily life… and even some otherwise normal music loving people in there at times. The dedicated listening retreat approach has great advantages in terms of control but some potential tendency to also (for good or for bad) create disconnects.

My choice would have been strongly influenced by the first half of my working life I worked in camera and direction in film and television studios with sound recording facilities so specially treated rooms with acoustic tiles and studio chairs always reminds me of work and production more than music… so maybe that’s also why I’ve always avoided the dedicated studio with single chair aesthetic.

Probably that context also then directs me across into a high efficiency high directivity speaker choice. I do think the strategy we choose be it separate dedicated or integrated fundamentally shapes the way our considerable listening time that we spend then maps into our lives.

Dare I say it natural sounds in a fairly natural room? Maybe not… but maybe that instinct to integrate music into normal life is reflective of the desire to fit in to an otherwise normal living space.

Well. I would want a big room, dedicated or living.

big horns need big rooms.

that said, for small rooms slightly powerful SETs with audionec are excellent, and despite being skeptical of a London audiophile setting up big Stenheim Ultime 2 with CH precision in a very small room, once I heard it I was totally amazed what it could do in such a small room. When Sujay was in London I took him there, he just referenced it on another thread.

Well. I would want a big room, dedicated or living.

big horns need big rooms.

that said, for small rooms slightly powerful SETs with audionec are excellent, and despite being skeptical of a London audiophile setting up big Stenheim Ultime 2 with CH precision in a very small room, once I heard it I was totally amazed what it could do in such a small room. When Sujay was in London I took him there, he just referenced it on another thread.
Big horns need big rooms… great mantra… are we talking about the gear or about us now :)

• Haha
Reactions: bonzo75
  • Haha
Reactions: the sound of Tao
Bonnie has not visited since the room has been finished. Bonnie is wonderful, but I was a very difficult client for Bonnie, as my philosophy about a priori acoustic treatment changed during the consultation process.* I adopted only a portion of Bonnie's recommendations:

Adopted: blue jeans insulation in furred-out front wall
Adopted: blue jeans insulation in soffit cavities
Adopted: acoustic-thermal insulation in side-walls

Rejected: vinyl sheeting in front wall
Rejected: vinyl sheeting in side walls
Rejected: Lumitex under floor carpet
Rejected: Vibramat (with vinyl layer) under floor carpet
Rejected: Lumitex lined drapes on side walls and rear wall

IMO referring to Bonnie when addressing your room is not kind to her work, since her project was completely shattered by reasons that she was not responsible for. Room design is an holistic activity.

*I now think that whatever sonic equation professional acousticians are solving for usually, if not always, results in over-damped, slightly lifeless listening rooms.

All the professional acousticians I have met were used to design studio acoustics, that needs a more damped acoustic than hi-end consumer listening rooms.

I think it makes sense to build solid, rigid and structurally sound walls and floor and ceiling. I think natural brick and natural hardwood are good interior wall materials.

Many solutions make sense. Used with proper knowledge most materials can lead to excellent rooms.

But I am glad I did not build into the walls, floor and ceiling, and bake irreversibly into the cake, all of the absorption which was recommended to me.

Do you have the support of any measurements in this statement or is it just a feeling?

BTW, what is vinyl sheeting?

I’ll share this to perhaps get the thread back on topic. A good friend came over for a listen today. He was not aware that I had made some changes to the room acoustics. Within seconds of hearing the music he asked me if I changed anything. We listened to a string quartet, a piano and clarinet duet, a group of French male a cappella singers, and Black Sabbath. The effect of the recent changes is easily audible. Below is what he wrote me after he left:

Hi Peter,

Thanks for making time to have lunch and a listen.

The ‘ease’ of listening continues to improve, by which I mean music sounds So much more like itself that the pro-cess of taking in a ( re- corded ) performance simply requires less effort in listening.

The brain has less to fill in, which means —to me— that there is more room for involvement, both physical And emotional.

And what’s more musical than movement and feeling?

Thanks again.

Hope dinner is Great Fun. My Best to everybody

Last edited:
People seem to want to discuss their custom rooms on my thread even though it is off topic. I don’t get it. Here is some information about my room:

My house was built in 1790. At some point the living room had a fire so the molding does not match the earlier less ornate molding in the rest of the house. There are three windows and the door plus the fireplace. You could call it a vintage room. The system is more or less vintage also with modern electronics. The speakers and cartridge are from 1960. The carpet is Persian. The furniture is old except for the contemporary leather sofa. The paintings are old. We stripped all of the lead paint from the woodwork and floor and exposed the original wide pine floorboards.

The acoustics are decent, though the ceiling is low and the room is fairly small. I’m happy to discuss rooms and how they function as listening rooms. A lot of it has to do with the choice of the system and the set up and how it interacts with the room.

I did not spend hundreds of thousands of dollars creating a dedicated audio room. With the exception of my American sound AS 2000 turntable, my system is actually fairly inexpensive compared to what people are discussing in this HIEND forum. The electric system for the room is completely new and very carefully designed for the audio system with the help of David Karmeli. Everything from the wire to the outlets to the grounding cable to the panel location is carefully considered.

The approach to natural sound is holistic.

How quiet is your listening room and environment?

How quiet is your listening room and environment?

It varies with the time of day, and the amount of activity outside the house and inside the house. The listening room is not isolated in that sense. I measured it years ago with all my audio file acoustic treatments, but I can’t remember the result.

I recently articulated in a different thread what I am trying to achieve with my system. I am trying to re-create the experience of listening to live music in my listening room. The experience is holistic involving multiple senses. I want to include this description here in my system thread. Here is what I wrote:

For me, the sight of musicians in space is a part of the experience of listening to live music. We use our senses, not just our hearing. We see the musicians in the performance space in front of us. We feel the energy produced by the musicians with their instruments hitting us and filling the space. And we hear the sound those instruments make. Seeing, feeling, hearing -these are all part of the holistic experience of live music. My goal is to re-create that experience to as great an extent as possible in my listening room. As such, absent the visual (we see nothing), virtual imaging, the impression of something physical, with mass, in front of the listener with proper scale AND in the context of a space with all the ambient cues and boundaries, contributes to the impression that you are in the presence of musicians making music. This is all part of the live music experience and such impressions all contribute to making listening at home seem more believable, convincing, and enjoyable.

Can you please discuss Ron‘s room in Ron‘s room thread. It has no relevance here. It is totally off-topic.

sounds like it was a " natural " progression to discuss Mike's and Ron's room in your natural thread :p

I recently articulated in a different thread what I am trying to achieve with my system. I am trying to re-create the experience of listening to live music in my listening room. The experience is holistic involving multiple senses. I want to include this description here in my system thread. Here is what I wrote:

For me, the sight of musicians in space is a part of the experience of listening to live music. We use our senses, not just our hearing. We see the musicians in the performance space in front of us. We feel the energy produced by the musicians with their instruments hitting us and filling the space. And we hear the sound those instruments make. Seeing, feeling, hearing -these are all part of the holistic experience of live music. My goal is to re-create that experience to as great an extent as possible in my listening room. As such, absent the visual (we see nothing), virtual imaging, the impression of something physical, with mass, in front of the listener with proper scale AND in the context of a space with all the ambient cues and boundaries, contributes to the impression that you are in the presence of musicians making music. This is all part of the live music experience and such impressions all contribute to making listening at home seem more believable, convincing, and enjoyable.

In your experience, with your system or others that you have heard, do you find this aspect can be well conveyed through system videos?

Is this objective not pretty much universal amongst aspiring audiophiles ?

Reactions: morricab
Is this objective not pretty much universal amongst aspiring audiophiles ?

Would you describe members here as "aspiring audiophiles"?

Your post is difficult for me to answer. I rarely see people discussing their goals or being able to clearly articulate them. I did not have a clearly defined goal that I was able to articulate until about three years ago. That was one reason I floundered and did not make much progress.

In a lot of the discussions about new components or other changes, people rarely articulate why it is they want to make a change and what they hope to achieve by making the change. They rarely identify the problem issues. I see people posting about new components but they do not explain why they bought them, what they think is missing with the old stuff, and what they hope to gain with the new stuff.

I think having a goal and understanding how to achieve it is important in this hobby. It seems rather simple, but I actually think it can be a real challenge. You assume people have goals and that they are similar or the same as what I just described, but how do you really know? Can you point out some posts which support your claim? When I used to ask others why they were changing stuff, they usually just said they want "more" of something without explaining why.

The exception most convincing to me is the switch from vinyl to digital. Here they articulate very clearly. It is convenience, access to more music (with streaming), no more crackle/pop/noise. They do not tell me it is for an experience closer to what they have when listening to music in the concert hall. And few actually articulate what that experience is like for them.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing