Natural Sound

rando

Sep 22, 2019
There are like 6 concert halls in the vicinity. I had Southbank at 20 minutes walk from work, Barbican at 25, and wigmore at 1 hour.

Refreshing, much of the world seems to have misplaced any hint of activity that might get the blood flowing preceding making or consuming music of exceptional quality. Mud stained knees at choir practice and orchestra sections coming back in sporting freshly blooming bruises contributed to more than a few revered bodies awesome reputation in concert.

Thank you for the YT channel recommendation as well.

Edit: To add a hint of topical content. PeterA skipping his Dark & Stormy's to rush home and put on music is another behavior fitting this mold.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
In that case i would build myself a "Japanese stereo set" a la 47 Lab...
Near field monitors and a MicroZotl kind of amp.... just the thought to be without.... brrrrr

Proper beer at last :D

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
That was never the case. Many of my reports are of multiple visits, chasing components in different set ups, planning revisits and what to compare. Many of the set ups are done by those experts at setting it up so I get to see a component optimized (as well as broken) And there are still many experts in the pipeline. This is not rocket science. Listening is easy once set up if you follow a process. Most people just don't know what to play for audition and have too many preconceived notions before listening, but the listening part is actually easy.

Keep in mind I was one of the earliest on Lampi which is the most loved digital, and was talking about the vdh Stradivarius 1 year before David found it and introduced to Tang and it became famous on the forum. The tad 4003 is much better than a Cessaro driver and it is surprising to me most people haven't got it. The Altec woofers are recommended by JC and team. As I said, listening is easy you just need to find the people and listen and want to know what the component does rather than just come here and post random stuff to back a statement made with lesser knowledge. Set up requires sensibility. People get set up wrong because they are religious, like wanting to match the wrong component just because. 95 percent of the purchases in this forum are without listening, by following a review or a random stranger on the net who people decide to follow because they connect on some posts. Most people who own gear have never heard their component properly
I certainly don't doubt your listening skills, in general i trust your findings, but i would personally go crazy if i did not have some kind of system set up for home listening, even a humble one . :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I certainly don't doubt your listening skills, in general i trust your findings, but i would personally go crazy if i did not have some kind of system set up for home listening, even a humble one . :)

actually i just don’t have time for home listening. I also find daily listening unhealthy, i used to start an experiment on the system after coming home from work, then get stuck on it till night forgetting gym social life etc. Now I get to be an intense audiophile on short chosen period, get to listen to music at concerts, and think I by audiophile standards am super fit (Bill is super strong, that’s different)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

and again if people applied sensibility and process, listening is easy. Sensibility and process is difficult.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
The purpose of gear is gear.

There are like 6 concert halls in the vicinity. I had Southbank at 20 minutes walk from work, Barbican at 25, and wigmore at 1 hour. Not to mention three others, one of which I traveled regularly to Oxford and always caught a live concert on a holiday. Gear is to tweak. Unless one lives in those towns where there are no concerts. Plus, UK is subsidized tickets compared to US
You have it totally wrong. The purpose of gear is to play music.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Why do you assume more texture is due to distortion...real instruments have a lot of texture...
Good question. I felt what I was hearing was a slightly exaggerated texture from the LTA. The LTA also seemed to play a little slower than the Bakoon. My analogy was the Bakoon sounded like the band got a good nights sleep and just had a nice espresso. The tube base LTA sounded more like the band had been on the road for two months and just had another round at the bar. Both sound good.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wel i stand corrected, to me it looked like a lot of short visits with intense a/b comparisons with the intent of finding the "best" components in each category. I do like your openness to all topology's (except Zu ;) ) very refreshing compared to the SET only crowd. But i think you are missing out on a lot of pleasure/pride of ownership and fun of developing your own system. It is nice to go out to gather appetite, but the well cooked meal at home is really good too.:) You search for perfection to the point of missing out on part of the fun.

do you think when you A/b same components in different systems you will not learn anything about the system and only the component?
If I wanted a home cooked meal I would just buy tannoys

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
The tube base LTA sounded more like the band had been on the road for two months and just had another round at the bar.
You should have joint them ;)

What LTA are you refering to may i ask?

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
MicroZotl, ok...
This one has a limited quality input stage... not high end , but not bad either. It must not be compared with high end amps of a different level. The Zotl topology is naturally making up for this....
So if you want a Zotl with high end status you should then omit the input stage and connect a balanced source directly to the output tubes (6SN7 in your case).

Attachments

• IMG_3787.jpg
    IMG_3787.jpg
    696 KB · Views: 10
  • Zotl23q.jpg
    Zotl23q.jpg
    538.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Zotl21q.jpg
    Zotl21q.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 10

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
MicroZotl, ok...
This one has a limited quality input stage... not high end , but not bad either. It must not be compared with high end amps of a different level. The Zotl topology is naturally making up for this....
So if you want a Zotl with high end status you should then omit the input stage and connect a balanced source directly to the output tubes (6SN7 in your case).
Is that the famous Samsonite Zotl, or the beginning of a suitcase bomb ? ;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
MicroZotl, ok...
the big Zotl

Reactions: Lampie519

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
Is that the famous Samsonite Zotl, or the beginning of a suitcase bomb ?
I wouldn't even try to pass airport security with this "hand luggage" in my possession LOL

Reactions: Lagonda

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
the big Zotl
Interesting review ! I would think that a Zotl as preamp could be bettered by a good designed preamp in the same price range , it seems that i was mistaken... So even the MZ preamp technology is "standard" (in my view) it could equal or surpass the much pricier competition, wow... For me it does not say anything about the Zotl but more about the competition ....

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Interesting review ! I would think that a Zotl as preamp could be bettered by a good designed preamp in the same price range , it seems that i was mistaken... So even the MZ preamp technology is "standard" (in my view) it could equal or surpass the much pricier competition, wow... For me it does not say anything about the Zotl but more about the competition

at higher price you will find good ones. my recommendation there was to keep this till you find a great one that way one doesn’t need to keep spending on every new toy.
In SS preamps I love the soulution when coupled with a valve power amp on a non horn system, the audio net stern is fantastic with the Heisenberg, and my favourite valve preamp is Thomas Mayer 10y

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I wouldn't even try to pass airport security with this "hand luggage" in my possession LOL

i was once stopped to check the Dalby record weight by Eurostar security. He took it to his manager. Luckily the manager wasn’t an audiophile so gave it back to me and let me go

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
and again if people applied sensibility and process, listening is easy. Sensibility and process is difficult.
I for one would love to hear about your process? Maybe in another thread... I'm always curious how different people approach hearing and evaluating a system.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
i was once stopped to check the Dalby record weight by Eurostar security. He took it to his manager. Luckily the manager wasn’t an audiophile so gave it back to me and let me go
Early 90's i moved a complete stereo system from Denmark to Florida, as regular luggage, 200lbs of electronics and Martin Logan CLS speakers, without paying extra luggage charges or having it checked, and only holding a tourist visa ! o_O Times have changed !

Last edited:

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
You really need to try the SIT-3 on your system.
I think were going to see class A SS fall from its pedestal in the not to distant future.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing