Natural Sound

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
If I may, the four systems presented exhibit far greater differences in sound than what could possibly be explained by differences in the source.

Correction:
The recordings of the four systems presented exhibit far greater differences in sound than what could possibly be explained by differences in the source.

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
Correction:
The recordings of the four systems presented exhibit far greater differences in sound than what could possibly be explained by differences in the source.

I think that was implicit, since I only have the recordings to judge by.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I think that was implicit, since I only have the recordings to judge by.

Sure, just wanting to point out that we should avoid the illusion, which always seems to simmer under the surface in these discussions and how they are worded, that we are actually listening to systems. We are not.

Reactions: hopkins

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Sure, just wanting to point out that we should avoid the illusion, which always seems to simmer under the surface in these discussions and how they are worded, that we are actually listening to systems. We are not.

Al, I listen to quite a few system videos and not once have I ever been under the illusion that I am listening to the actual system. None of my own videos has ever sounded the same as my system. They are completely different things. I know of no one who has ever confused the two. I see no illusion that needs to be avoided. It is the same as any YouTube video I watch. I know I am sitting in front of my computer watching a flat screen and listening to computer speakers.

Reactions: tima and bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
. I know of no one who has ever confused the two.
Al did. Which is why he regularly compared his system to people’s videos and commented his in room system sounded better.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Al did. Which is why he regularly compared his system to people’s videos and commented his in room system sounded better.

LOL, good one!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Al, I listen to quite a few system videos and not once have I ever been under the illusion that I am listening to the actual system. None of my own videos has ever sounded the same as my system. They are completely different things. I know of no one who has ever confused the two. I see no illusion that needs to be avoided. It is the same as any YouTube video I watch. I know I am sitting in front of my computer watching a flat screen and listening to computer speakers.

Be that as it may, Peter, it appears that you and others who post videos think they are at least somewhat representative of the respective system sound. Otherwise, why would you post them? If it was just about the music, you could simply post the official YouTube video of the music and say that's the music you're listening to.

That system videos are somewhat representative of the actual system sound is also strongly implied in the post by Hopkins above on this thread page, the wording of which I objected to, since it seems to go even beyond such an implication:

If I may, the four systems presented exhibit far greater differences in sound than what could possibly be explained by differences in the source.

jdza

May 3, 2010
In order to enlighten my side of the argument, I have re-recorded the same song on the same system with the same camera but with digital replay. Hopefully, the levels are similar but as I cannot replay what it recorded in this system, I do not know.

For the record: As I live far from others I started using phone videos to give a general idea of an unusual system. I now think it a bad idea as it makes what sounds to my ears good, bad and vice versa

Before fingers get pointed at the Analog chain, this is it. The tape sounds surprisingly good in real life for a 1/4 track:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Be that as it may, Peter, it appears that you and others who post videos think they are at least somewhat representative of the respective system sound.

Yes, the videos I post are somewhat representative of the sound of my system, but they are not the same. Pretty simple. And you warn that we should avoid some illusion so we don’t confuse the two.

Why do you feel the need to argue about videos now for years? What is the point?

Reactions: bonzo75 and tima

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Yes, the videos I post are somewhat representative of the sound of my system, but they are not the same. Pretty simple. And you warn that we should avoid some illusion so we don’t confuse the two.

Why do you feel the need to argue about videos now for years? What is the point?

There was a brief discussion about wording between Hopkins and myself. It had been resolved to the satisfaction of both sides (Hopkins "liked" the last post in our exchange).

Then you come in a couple hours later, restarting the discussion, and subsequently you complain about me continuing to argue, only because I reply to your restart of the discussion.

Too funny.

Reactions: Argonaut

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
PS: On top of that I had already shown restraint. I had said nothing about the sound of any of the recent videos, most of which I dislike. So your complaint really seems quite misplaced, Peter.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
There was a brief discussion about wording between Hopkins and myself. It had been resolved to the satisfaction of both sides (Hopkins "liked" the last post in our exchange).

Then you come in a couple hours later, restarting the discussion, and subsequently you complain about me continuing to argue, only because I reply to your restart of the discussion.

Too funny.
PS: On top of that I had already shown restraint. I had said nothing about the sound of any of the recent videos, most of which I dislike. So your complaint really seems quite misplaced, Peter.

We're listening to youtube videos of people's systems playing music recorded with a phone. Absent systems there are no such videos. Among those contributing videos we were having a nice discussion. We know you don't like/respect/believe in videos, as you constantly tell us over and over. You say you don't comment on the sound of the videos so no contribution from you about that. By appearances it seems you and your short-skirted buddy are here only to interrupt and argue, not participate, not to provide value, not to advance the discussion. If you were not here there would be no complaint.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Apologies for the abrupt interruption (Hi, I'm Miguel from Sintra, Portugal and I'm a passionate builder/designer who follows audio note japan's ethos) This is spotify (through a highly upgraded ANK DAC5.1 Signature, a Kondo Ongaku inspired amp and a pair of stock AvantGarde Duo Omegas) also recorded with a phone
Of those presented your spinning wheel recording is clearly the closest to the original recording.
Does that mean it’s the best sounding or most natural in the room? Not necessarily, but if the videos are in any way representative then I would argue yes. However, for a less pleasant recording it might be less enjoyable.

BTW., what mods did you make to your ANK 5.1 DAC?

for reference

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Of those presented your spinning wheel recording is clearly the closest to the original recording.
Does that mean it’s the best sounding or most natural in the room? Not necessarily, but if the videos are in any way representative then I would argue yes. However, for a less pleasant recording it might be less enjoyable.

BTW., what mods did you make to your ANK 5.1 DAC?

for reference

This makes sense to me. The recording presented as “original” is digital, not analog presented by a system. Miguel’s recording sounds the most like digital to me, and in fact is of a digital version of the song, so they sound the most similar, perhaps even the same mastering. All of these YouTube “original” recordings are in fact digital releases.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

Instrument positions sound different between the Spotify/Avantgarde recording and what was posted from the "official" example on youtube. Cowbell and brass for example. And better centerfill on Miquel's. I'll speculate that the youtube version is not of an audio system which makes it much less interesting to me.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Not entirely aware of any actual blood letting having taken place ! however no shortage of sweat and tears on show ;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Al M.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Not entirely aware of any actual blood letting having taken place ! however no shortage of sweat and tears on show ;)

Indeed. Lots of pearl clutching here, disproportionate to a minor "disturbance".

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Instrument positions sound different between the Spotify/Avantgarde recording and what was posted from the "official" example on youtube. Cowbell and brass for example. And better centerfill on Miquel's. I'll speculate that the youtube version is not of an audio system which makes it much less interesting to me.
It is a recording on YouTube …obviously not a system video. But it tells you basically what it should sound like. Or you think a system video is better sounding?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing