Naturalness of Sarah McLachlan Vocals - Analog Versus Digital

Which album has more natural-sounding vocals?

• Total voters

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, I don’t have Fumbling on LP. Sounds like a future purchase!

I asked you a loaded question, because I think Sarah's digital voice on Surfacing is significantly inferior to the naturalness of Sarah's analog voice on Fumbling Towards Ecstasy.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I wrote to Pierre Marchand to solve this mystery:

Dear Mr. Marchand,

I hope this finds you well!

I have loved your recording and engineering work on Fumbling Towards Ecstasy and Surfacing for many years. You have always done a fantastic job of capturing Sarah McLachlan's beautiful voice!

I read in an interview you gave years ago that you recorded "Fumbling on a Studer 827, and Surfacing was all done on a RADAR.” I know that the Studer 827 is a multi-track analog tape recorder, and that the Otari RADAR is a multi-track digital recorder.

I am an audiophile, and I write reviews of high-end audio components.

I saw recently that Analogue Productions, the re-issue label of Acoustic Sounds, a purveyor of vinyl records, is selling a vinyl re-issue of Surfacing. In the advertisement of the Analogue Productions release I see:

"Now, hear Surfacing on its definitive vinyl version — two 200-gram LPs cut at 45 RPM by legendary mastering engineer Bernie Grundman from the original analog tapes."

But, Mr. Marchand, if Surfacing is a digital recording, how can there be any "original analog tapes"?

Any light you can shed on this mystery would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much!

Best wishes,

Ron Resnick

Reactions: Lagonda

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Mr. Marchand very kindly replied:

Hi Ron
It was recorded on a digital multitrack, a radar , not sure now, the mixes might have been transfered to half inch tape for mastering. It was mastered by Bernie in 2008, its been a while! Those analog half inch tapes might be what they are referencing to.
I am not involved in these reprints , so I can't really answer for them.
Cheers
Pierre

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Mr. Marchand very kindly replied:

Hi Ron
It was recorded on a digital multitrack, a radar , not sure now, the mixes might have been transfered to half inch tape for mastering. It was mastered by Bernie in 2008, its been a while! Those analog half inch tapes might be what they are referencing to.
I am not involved in these reprints , so I can't really answer for them.
Cheers
Pierre
Busted !;) We had Radar in my studio in Miami, it was very good.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Tonight I did a direct, level-matched (Reed R8050) comparison of Witness and Angel on Classic Records 180g LP on Denon DP62L/Hana SL/Octave Eq.2 versus CD on Pioneer DV-47Ai/Baltic 4.

I think the CD is slightly more resolving and detailed and slightly more transparent than the LP, but a touch drier.

I think I am losing resolution with the LP playback set-up versus a higher level set-up. The LP was slightly warmer and slightly more human-sounding. In this case the vinyl did warm the sound up a bit.

My very general view is that digital recordings should be played back in their native format. There are many exceptions to this starting view.

This was a very close comparison. The Baltic 4 definitely was pulling its weight. Overall, I still preferred the slightly warmer, slightly less dry presentation of the vinyl.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Tonight I did a direct, level-matched (Reed R8050) comparison of Witness and Angel on Classic Records 180g LP on Denon DP62L/Hana SL/Octave Eq.2 versus CD on Pioneer DV-47Ai/Baltic 4.

I think the CD is slightly more resolving and detailed and slightly more transparent than the LP, but a touch drier.

I think I am losing resolution with the LP playback set-up versus a higher level set-up. The LP was slightly warmer and slightly more human-sounding. In this case the vinyl did warm the sound up a bit.

My very general view is that digital recordings should be played back in their native format. There are many exceptions to this starting view.

This was a very close comparison. The Baltic 4 definitely was pulling its weight. Overall, I still preferred the slightly warmer, slightly less dry presentation of the vinyl.
This is with the AS-2000 TT, Ron?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
“Denon DP62L/Hana SL/Octave Eq.2”
All joking aside, at least compare your Baltic to a really good Japanese direct drive. The DP62L was right in the middle of its overall mediocre lineup (not counting their broadcast decks). A Kenwood KD 990 with something like a ZYX R-100 would probably already have a clear advantage with a bottom end Allnic phono.

Rt66indierock

Jul 1, 2022
I am a big fan of Sarah McLachlan’s vocal performances and lyrics. I like several of the songs on Fumbling Towards Ecstasy and I think they are pretty well-recorded.

I like several of the songs on Surfacing, but I think they sound like typically bad-sounding digital. I can never just listen to those songs and relax and enjoy them. (As Kedar famously observed, I appear not to relax when listening to digital recordings. And he is correct.)

Pierre Marchand, a musical collaborator with, and the recording engineer for, Sarah McLachlan, said in an interview that he recorded “Fumbling on a Studer 827, and Surfacing was all done on a RADAR.”

The Studer 827 is a multi-track analog tape recorder. The Otari RADAR is a multi-track digital recorder.

I think the vocals on Surfacing (1997) sound dry, menthol and typically digital. I think the vocals on Fumbling Towards Ecstasy (1993) sound better — less dry and more organic and natural.

I think the songs on Fumbling Towards Ecstasy may have digital sampling mixed into them, but they are not totally digital recordings like the songs on Surfacing.

What do you think?

Michael Fremer sold out all you guys who believe digital damages the sound in his review of Patricia Barber’s “Clique. ” The Tracking Angle, January 25, 2023.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing