Need some Lampi help please

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
KR PX25 is best in most setups for me. I now have RK Px25 and will try that soon.

RK 300B was not great in GG, better in Pac.

Do you remember what tube you liked most in the Big 7? The Big 7 has changed a lot over time so it may no longer be relevant to my MKII but I am still curious.

So far I prefer the Tak 300Bs the most.

Reactions: christoph

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Ones in my hardwired modified Big 7 with 2.2 uF Jupiter copper foil output caps selected that are all good:

KR PX4, PX25, Tung-Sol 6A3, EML 45 Globe Mesh

With Dueland output caps selected:.

EML AD1. It sounds awesome but it's too microphonic.

Best is the Tesla AD1. It is superb but best with the Jupiters. Super low microphony too.

Despite Norman's experience, my PX4s are well behaved. I like it quite a lot.

My Lampi will be getting some super high quality transformers soon. Should reduce hum levels which are quite frankly too high.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Reactions: bonzo75 and Zero000

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
KR PX25 is best in most setups for me. I now have RK Px25 and will try that soon.

I have both, the RK PX25 AND the regular balloon KR PX25 but so far I couldn't be arsed to compare them.
Maybe some time when I have company :oops:

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Sold mine.
If you don't compare, the RK300b are fine (enough) but as soon as you compare it to the PX25 or KR 242 (depending on the DAC model), you will realise how much better is possible :eek:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Have you measured your wall voltage Justin?

246V.

But regenerated to precisely 230V.

Don't go there it is a sore issue and the cause of a lot of trouble.;)

It's not that bad but Lucasz & Co should have sorted it but they did not.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I don't remember you using tube dampers :oops:

I'm not a fan of the PX4 myself :rolleyes:

I had first the regular KR 242 and then (now) the RK 242, but not at the same time.
From memory I would say the RK 242 are a little bit more refined while the regular KR 242 are more dynamic and explosive...

I had them for years. Zoom in below to see em on the D7.
Goran recalls:
Thanks for all the info Marty and I'm really glad you're so much enjoying your Lampi.
If I remember correctly @wisnon was advising me to get those tube rings, but I never did. Will have to try those despite the fact I don't hear any microphony but truth to be told I'm also not cranking up the Vol pot a lot.
While on tubes small recti advise - try to get PSvane ACME 274b - will not break you a bank but will bring a lot to the table ;-)

Cheers;

G

Attachments

• My Kithara left zoom out.jpg
    My Kithara left zoom out.jpg
    491.4 KB · Views: 9

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Do you remember what tube you liked most in the Big 7? The Big 7 has changed a lot over time so it may no longer be relevant to my MKII but I am still curious.

So far I prefer the Tak 300Bs the most.
Actually, I had a loaner KR 242 then and IIRC, they worked GREAT in the B7 I had. I liked the AG 45, NU 45 and genuine WE 101d before one tube died. 6a3 was great too!

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Ones in my hardwired modified Big 7 with 2.2 uF Jupiter copper foil output caps selected that are all good:

KR PX4, PX25, Tung-Sol 6A3, EML 45 Globe Mesh

With Dueland output caps selected:.

EML AD1. It sounds awesome but it's too microphonic.

Best is the Tesla AD1. It is superb but best with the Jupiters. Super low microphony too.

Despite Norman's experience, my PX4s are well behaved. I like it quite a lot.

My Lampi will be getting some super high quality transformers soon. Should reduce hum levels which are quite frankly too high.
The RK 242 and KR PX25 in Gorans system wiped the floor with the acclaimed EML mesh PX4, which were soon returned to sender. LoL. I wonder if your humming and microphony issues are a general UK problem, where unlike the Continent where we run electrical spur lines, in the UK you run a RING power configuration.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The RK 242 and KR PX25 in Gorans system wiped the floor with the acclaimed EML mesh PX4, which were soon returned to sender. LoL. I wonder if your humming and microphony issues are a general UK problem, where unlike the Continent where we run electrical spur lines, in the UK you run a RING power configuration.

My GG does not hum, it gets microphonic with Justin's previous pre. Haven't checked with his Luxman yet I bet it won't be there

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014

Norman if you like I will post a video of the transformers blatantly humming with no music on.

It is being fed a pure mains regenerated signal so what are you on about the mains for?

Some people will just NOT accept the truth.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
My mains tranny is made for 250v

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Norman if you like I will post a video of the transformers blatantly humming with no music on.

It is being fed a pure mains regenerated signal so what are you on about the mains for?

I didnt say I disbelieved you. I was trying to find an obvious solution, as I have never heard this problem at AL place, Chris's place or Goran's, to name a few Lampi setups I have heard in person.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Please accepot MY truth!

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Tube with big ratings, especially when paired with Tak recti.

That's exactly what I prefer right now. Seems boring to just have a trio of Taks!

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
My mains tranny is made for 250v

UK mains is typically closer to 250v than 230v. There was quite a bit of fudging when the 230v regime was introduced, harmonising nominal voltages across EU without changing the native 220v infrastructure of the continent and 240v of UK. Some local readings here might be as high as @253v here, hence noise for out of spec power traffos. Not that this explains Justin’s post regeneration issue, which sounds like either dc leakage or a loosely wound traffo.

Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing