Need some Lampi help please

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
My Lampi GG2 arrived today. I hope that the Lampi experts on WBF can help address some questions from a Lampi newbie. I’m using Roon and my streamer is the innuous ZENMk3 that is connected to the GG2 via USB.

1) When I try and configure the device in Roon settings and I hit the “Configure” button, The Roon icon spins away with a message “Searching for devices” but never does anything more than this. What’s wrong? Seems like there’s a handshake to be made, but it doesn’t occur. The GG2 was set up for Linux which is what the Innuous presumably uses. Any idea what’s going on.

2) I cannot seem to get DSD Playback Strategy to list “native” as an option. Since the method above is not helpful to configure the device, I have to select Audio from the Roon menu, and then under “Connected to Core” I see “Combo384Amanero”. I then hit the small setting wheel which leads to “Device setup”. I can then see DSD Playback strategy options but I can only play back DSD using “DSD over PCM v1.0 (DoP). There is no “native” option that is visible (which is one of the reasons I bought the device- I assumed I’d be able to play native configuration DSDs). I can indeed play 4X DSD under “DSD over PCM v1.0 (DoP), so at least I’m getting music, but what about native? Am I doing something wrong?

3) Surprisingly, although it seems every manufacturer under the DAC sun is listed as an “identify your device” option under “Device Setup” , Lampizator is not listed. Really? Very discouraging. Again, am I doing something wrong?

4) I have both 242 an PX25 tubes. I can’t say I’m knocked out by the bass of the 242 (relatively big but somewhat bloated and ill-defined) but I assume the tubes are not broken in yet. Any idea how long tube break-in takes? Also, any idea what the PX25 may offer in the lower register that the 242 does not?

Thanks in advance guys.

Marty gg2 - 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi Marty

Congrats on your GG2.
What a pleasant surprise :cool:

1. The configure Button in roon is to set up a ROCK/Nucleus device. You don't need to go in there...

2. Do you know what Amanero Firmware you have installed on your GG2? You should find this info on the Manufacturers sheet you got along with your DAC.
You say your GG2 is delivered with the Linux Firmware, so it should work propeprly. Maybe the Innuous Zen doesn't "know" the Combo384 Amanero board and needs a suitable Firmware.
Does your Innuos have the latest Firmware installed? DoP sounds as good as native but I understand your wish for native for the highest DSD guises above DSD256.

3. You mean as a Icon in roon? The manufacturers have to pay for that "Feature" and some don't see a reason for it. You can Name your device however you like, though and chose an Icon to your liking.

4. Do you have your GG2 on the correct tube heater Setting on the back? The KR 242 is normally rather lean and tight in the bass compared to other tubes. Maybe you should burn-in the tubes for best results according to the EML method.
Run the tubes for half an hour and then turn the device off until the tubes are completely cold again.
Then repeat that procedere and slowly prolong the time running them until you reach 4 hours on time. then the tubes are optimally conditioned and you can use them as Long as you like in one go.

You can safe yourself the off Music times and make the burn-in process faster if you Change between both of your new pairs so the hot ones can cool down while the other new ones are conditioned;):cool:

The PX25 is a Little more colorful and meaty sounding than the very tranparent 242. Depending on the rest of your System, one or the other will fit better.
Btw. the correct heater Setting for the PX25 is the 101d Setting (if the PX25 is not mentioned explicitely)

Enjoy your Lampi GG2 :cool:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Hi Marty

Congrats on your GG2.
What a pleasant surprise :cool:

1. The configure Button in roon is to set up a ROCK/Nucleus device. You don't need to go in there...

2. Do you know what Amanero Firmware you have installed on your GG2? You should find this info on the Manufacturers sheet you got along with your DAC.
You say your GG2 is delivered with the Linux Firmware, so it should work propeprly. Maybe the Innuous Zen doesn't "know" the Combo384 Amanero board and needs a suitable Firmware.
Does your Innuos have the latest Firmware installed? DoP sounds as good as native but I understand your wish for native for the highest DSD guises above DSD256.

3. You mean as a Icon in roon? The manufacturers have to pay for that "Feature" and some don't see a reason for it. You can Name your device however you like, though and chose an Icon to your liking.

4. Do you have your GG2 on the correct tube heater Setting on the back? The KR 242 is normally rather lean and tight in the bass compared to other tubes. Maybe you should burn-in the tubes for best results according to the EML method.
Run the tubes for half an hour and then turn the device off until the tubes are completely cold again.
Then repeat that procedere and slowly prolong the time running them until you reach 4 hours on time. then the tubes are optimally conditioned and you can use them as Long as you like in one go.

You can safe yourself the off Music times and make the burn-in process faster if you Change between both of your new pairs so the hot ones can cool down while the other new ones are conditioned;):cool:

The PX25 is a Little more colorful and meaty sounding than the very tranparent 242. Depending on the rest of your System, one or the other will fit better.
Btw. the correct heater Setting for the PX25 is the 101d Setting (if the PX25 is not mentioned explicitely)

Enjoy your Lampi GG2 :cool:

Excellent and thanks Christoph.

Reactions: Golum and christoph

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Welcome MARTY let us know how it goes. Cris is a master tube roller and I agree with most all of his views. enjoy and post

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Welcome MARTY let us know how it goes. Cris is a master tube roller and I agree with most all of his views. enjoy and post
Thanks for your kind words Alfred but YOU are the master tube roller.
I normally call it the Al method, not the EML method :cool:

Reactions: Steve Williams

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The mundorf are lean

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Marty!!!

May you like the Lampi even more than the EMM!

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Reactions: guf

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Ked and I PM'd earlier. The DAC Test report specifies Mundorf SG 47uF
Still that contradicts your findings of the 242 being bloated even more ;)
Or is it like math? Lean 242 and lean Mundorf SG make for a bloated bass o_O
I hope the burn-in process of the tubes and of the DAC itself shifts the Sound to your liking :oops:
Have you been able to sort out the other issues like the not available native DSD?

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
3:48 am and I have to force myself to go to bed. Based on a rather traumatic sales experience that I won't detail here, I thought it would be impossible to overcome my expectation bias that the Lampi would be less than I had hoped it would be. What I was not prepared for was how quickly I would become a fan. I've had it for 3 days and the first night was worthless. Night 2 was minimally better but it was a listening experience that could have been bettered by 2 Dixie cups and a string. So I had low hopes for tonight. I was wrong. Very wrong About 2 hours in, all of a sudden thing started to blossom. The bass got tighter and things continued steadily from there until at some point at the 4 hour mark, it became about the music and not the sound of the Lampi or the system. It was one of those rare nights. I couldn't stop listening. I wanted to play everything that was on any playlist I ever made!

Honestly, I really wanted to dislike this thing and already made inquiries into the REX BAT DAC (digital by Andreas Koch, tube analog output by Victor Khomenko). But I am dropping that like a hot potato. The Lampi is special, no doubt about it. I have never heard digital like this. It not only layers sound in space but I swear, in time. It's still breaking in and is hardly perfect but it's so easy to look past that and enjoy listening. It truly is in rarified air. I'm embarrassed to admit this but part of me really wanted those Lampi nut jobs (you know who you are) who think Lampi is a religion to be wrong! But I understand their conviction now and I think I just joined their church.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
3:48 am and I have to force myself to go to bed. Based on a rather traumatic sales experience that I won't detail here, I thought it would be impossible to overcome my expectation bias that the Lampi would be less than I had hoped it would be. What I was not prepared for was how quickly I would become a fan. I've had it for 3 days and the first night was worthless. Night 2 was minimally better but it was a listening experience that could have been bettered by 2 Dixie cups and a string. So I had low hopes for tonight. I was wrong. Very wrong About 2 hours in, all of a sudden thing started to blossom. The bass got tighter and things continued steadily from there until at some point at the 4 hour mark, it became about the music and not the sound of the Lampi or the system. It was one of those rare nights. I couldn't stop listening. I wanted to play everything that was on any playlist I ever made!

Honestly, I really wanted to dislike this thing and already made inquiries into the REX BAT DAC (digital by Andreas Koch, tube analog output by Victor Khomenko). But I am dropping that like a hot potato. The Lampi is special, no doubt about it. I have never heard digital like this. It not only layers sound in space but I swear, in time. It's still breaking in and is hardly perfect but it's so easy to look past that and enjoy listening. It truly is in rarified air. I'm embarrassed to admit this but part of me really wanted those Lampi nut jobs (you know who you are) who think Lampi is a religion to be wrong! But I understand their conviction now and I think I just joined their church.
Hi Marty

I'm REALLY glad you like your new GG2 as much as you obviously do now in the meantime :cool:
This is valid with which Output tubes? 242 or PX25?
What Rectifier do you have?

Last edited:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

Hehe, I’m glad you joined this church :cool::D

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
The mundorf are lean
BTW Ked, I had Mundorf in my ex GG2.5 and was all but lean...and many guys here witnessed that at my place as well as Chris place. Still what i find strange is presence of Mundorf as i believed he moved to his own output caps (would say Miflex)..

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Are you still on the 242?

The 242 is not bloated. It should be a very transparent, clean sound yet with lot of decay and each note musically mesmerizing as it plays through, with lots of micro, macro dynamics, and tonal and dynamic contrasts.

If this is not happening, which is possible, it is usually because the 242 Lampi does not like the pre and is worth tweaking for the two of them to get along. Alternative is to use the PX25 but that for me will always be a back up tube

Ask @Alrainbow to visit you with other tubes and the Pac he will surely be up for it

Reactions: Alrainbow

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Some hear a system and conclude it’s just one part causing it. For me I’m not a Mundorf fan in LAMPI Dacs. But great in cross overs. My beef is too much high end roll off meaning it’s warm. Now at 62 I am not a fan of warmth unless it’s in the music. having said this many love lush or warmth and this makes us all be our own.
Cris asked the best next Question recti ??

Reactions: christoph and Golum

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing