Need Zektor MAS7.1 Audio/HDMI Switcher ASAP!

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Seeing as the Zektor MAS7.1 is discontinued, and I have to return mine, which was on loan to me for 2 years, I need to find a replacement before this Thursday.

My requirements are:
3 inputs switching HDMI 1.3 spec, plus 3 inputs switching 7.1 analog audio through dry contacts (no op amps or active devices degrading the audio).

I found some cheap Chinese made switcher that only has one analog input, the MX0402-AU1, and most of its inputs are HDMI only. It converts HDMI audio to analog for the output analog jacks, but the manual I downloaded only talks about PCM digital audio.

Same goes for the Octava, a similar unit.

The other main problem is bass management.. my center channel speaker only goes to 90Hz, and presently, my Oppo BDP-83 redirects the center channel output to the subwoofer or main speakers that have subwoofers and that works great. It's not clear that a HDMI audio decoder in a cheap Chinese switcher like this Grandbeing branded switcher would understand the Oppo's assignment of bass from the center channel to the mains.

The other concern is losing the potentially superior analog audio of the Oppo, using HDMI audio. I don't know how good the DACs in the cheap $299 switch would be.

With only one set of analog inputs, I am uncertain as to how that would work with three players having analog audio 7.1 outputs to be switched.

Does anyone else make a switcher that has 3 7.1 inputs to go with 3 HDMI 1.3 digital inputs?

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Mark,

Look at this, or take a look around this site:

http://www.HDTVSupply.com/hdmi-to-digital-audio-adapter.html

????

Lee

I spent two hours on that site last weekend, e-mailed them several times about alternative products, and each time got Chinese characters back that appeared as rectangles in my e-mail client, so communicating with them was fruitless. That product that you linked to doesn't appear to do re-direction of bass from the center channel to the mains, as I am doing with the analog outs on my Oppo players now, so it doesn't solve the problem. Also, the DAC is of questionable quality.

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
What is your budget Mark?

Not great, but I'll forfeit a property tax payment just to have my HT up and running again, if I can get EXACTLY the function and form factor of the MAS7.1.. that said, I'd pay a grand for one in perfect condition.

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
I know this is a 2 box solution but how about a component/composite switcher for the audio and a separate HDMI switcher?

Kal

Component switchers drop the audio level by 20dB and roll off the highs due to active video equalization circuits in the boxes that do this type of switching (I've found this out from other folks who attempted to use one for audio instead of its intended video switching purpose. Also, it's only 5.1 channels, not 7.1.) Believe me, I've spent over 65 hours researching alternatives this week--it's just about ALL I've done for the past 5 days!

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Component switchers drop the audio level by 20dB and roll off the highs due to active video equalization circuits in the boxes that do this type of switching (I've found this out from other folks who attempted to use one for audio instead of its intended video switching purpose. Also, it's only 5.1 channels, not 7.1.) Believe me, I've spent over 65 hours researching alternatives this week--it's just about ALL I've done for the past 5 days!
I guess you need a cheap video switcher that consists only of dry switches!

I sent you some email with other ideas but I am hoping to come up with better soon!

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
I guess you need a cheap video switcher that consists only of dry switches!

I sent you some email with other ideas but I am hoping to come up with better soon!

Quality dry switches. Cheap switches are intermittent, prone to static crashes and fail shortly after installation.

I really can't understand why no one makes an equivalent to the MAS7.1. How is it possible that I'm the only one who refuses to jump on the Onkyo bandwagon and dump my 30 year old vintage audiophile gear for mainstream consumer gear just to have 7.1 channel switching?

I've gotten suggestions on another forum for a solution, but it would require completely rewiring that part of my system, and spending about $5,000 on used matrix switcher and audio processing.

I think I'll forego watching foreign films for a while and just settle with one player and put up with the 11-minute load times for some Hollywood titles, maybe sell my other two players.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Quality dry switches. Cheap switches are intermittent, prone to static crashes and fail shortly after installation.

I really can't understand why no one makes an equivalent to the MAS7.1. How is it possible that I'm the only one who refuses to jump on the Onkyo bandwagon and dump my 30 year old vintage audiophile gear for mainstream consumer gear just to have 7.1 channel switching?

I've gotten suggestions on another forum for a solution, but it would require completely rewiring that part of my system, and spending about $5,000 on used matrix switcher and audio processing.

I think I'll forego watching foreign films for a while and just settle with one player and put up with the 11-minute load times for some Hollywood titles, maybe sell my other two players.

First, despite a stream of players coming and going, I tend to use only one for enjoyment.
Second, have you gotten any of my emails? I arranged to have Zektor make a 5.1 switcher for you.

Kal

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
First, despite a stream of players coming and going, I tend to use only one for enjoyment.
Second, have you gotten any of my emails? I arranged to have Zektor make a 5.1 switcher for you.

Kal

There must be a problem with communications between our ISPs, Kal, because I received about a half dozen e-mails from you on Monday and wrote about 3-4 replies within hours of those and you didn't apparently receive any of them?

What I wrote was that I was not willing to spend hundreds for a partial solution. I would rather wait until there is a satisfactory solution on the market. Then I will spend dearly for it. For my wife's sake, I need to keep the system operation uncomplicated. For mine, too, as senility seems to be creeping up on me lately. :)

JimP

Mar 23, 2011
Did you find anything. I'm also looking for a way to switch between two sources 7.1 analogs.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Did you find anything. I'm also looking for a way to switch between two sources 7.1 analogs.

I suggest all those who are interested contact Zektor expressing that interest. It may convince them to produce the units again.

Roger Dressler

Industry Expert
Aug 4, 2011
Oregon
My requirements are:
3 inputs switching HDMI 1.3 spec, plus 3 inputs switching 7.1 analog audio through dry contacts (no op amps or active devices degrading the audio).

The other main problem is bass management.. my center channel speaker only goes to 90Hz, and presently, my Oppo BDP-83 redirects the center channel output to the subwoofer or main speakers that have subwoofers and that works great.

The other concern is losing the potentially superior analog audio of the Oppo, using HDMI audio. I don't know how good the DACs in the cheap $299 switch would be.
BDP-83, or 83SE?

Is the attached your current setup? If so, Why not feed all of your 7.1 sources like the Oppo into an AV processor like the Marantz AV7005, decode and bass manage there? It will handle 5 HDMI sources and one 7.1 analog bypass.

Attachments

• BassPig3..jpg
    BassPig3..jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 588

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
BDP-83, or 83SE?

Is the attached your current setup? If so, Why not feed all of your 7.1 sources like the Oppo into an AV processor like the Marantz AV7005, decode and bass manage there? It will handle 5 HDMI sources and one 7.1 analog bypass.

I don't want to add yet another expensive device (also electricity consumption) to the rack. I am in the mode of reducing my quantity of gear for fewer things in the signal path, lower power consumption and heat output. Some of these processors cost more than the Zektor. I still need analog, as I run all analog (except the ext proc loop) from preamp to power amps.

Really needed to switch players the other night.. had a BD that the Oppo could not play and had to use my Sony player, which could play it. Only problem was I was looking at over an hour's work to pull both racks away from the wall, get behind there and switch ten cables over from the Oppo to the Sony.. :(

JimP

Mar 23, 2011
BDP-83, or 83SE?

Analog outs from my Oppo 95 direct to my amplifiers sound better than HDMI in to the Marantz 7005 that I had. Eventually, there will be a prepro under $3K that will sound that good but until then, I'd like to find a relatively inexpensive work around.

Roger Dressler

Industry Expert
Aug 4, 2011
Oregon
I don't want to add yet another expensive device
HDMI 1.3 devices are quite reasonable in the used market now.

(also electricity consumption) to the rack. I am in the mode of reducing my quantity of gear for fewer things in the signal path, lower power consumption and heat output.
LoL! Sorry, that just struck me as hilarious. The power consumption in your rack is over there in the amp stack, my friend.

Some of these processors cost more than the Zektor.
You mean the Zektor that you cannot find? :rolleyes:

I still need analog, as I run all analog (except the ext proc loop) from preamp to power amps.
The Marantz of course has analog outputs. It even has one analog bypass input in case one of your sources for some reason has no HDMI output, like an older SACD player.

Really needed to switch players the other night.. had a BD that the Oppo could not play and had to use my Sony player, which could play it. Only problem was I was looking at over an hour's work to pull both racks away from the wall, get behind there and switch ten cables over from the Oppo to the Sony.. :(
I guess you didn't need a solution bad enough, though.

Believe me, I've spent over 65 hours researching alternatives this week--it's just about ALL I've done for the past 5 days!
You say how hard it is to crack this nut yet easy solutions are right in front of you. And if after a few months you score the Zektor, the AVP goes back on e-Bay. In the meantime, you're up and running. :confused:

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing