Neil Peart Dead at 67

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I am hugely sad reading this. A true hero.

Reactions: jeff1225

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
What a great musician. May he rest in peace.

Reactions: ack and jeff1225

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
He truly deserves to rest in peace. If ever a musician's ethos on stage and in the studio reflected the man himself, that was Neil.

In late 90's, he lost his daughter and first wife both suddenly without warning within a year of each other, put his sticks down and got on his bike quite literally to disappear. There was no likelihood he would be seen again anytime soon since he'd lost EVERYTHING.

The fact he returned, and returned to play the drums, and play them to the level he had for another decade plus is midbendingly impressive. And now it seems that he was battling a crippling and finally fatal illness, w no publicity or fanfare. For three years. How can you not be affected?

Neil Peart, a true colossus.

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
Thank you Neil, your lyrics & drumming & example inspire me.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Brad, Neil would be gently amused at the reaction to his death. And probably a bit irritated Lol.

He ABSOLUTELY classed himself as student rather then master, and as for any of the public feeling they were close to him, as he would say himself: "I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend".

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Brad, Neil would be gently amused at the reaction to his death. And probably a bit irritated Lol.

He ABSOLUTELY classed himself as student rather then master, and as for any of the public feeling they were close to him, as he would say himself: "I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend".
Just got the lyrics from “Losing it” running through my head as well as “Dreamline “

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Brad, Rush "membership" back in the day was always a secret society.
Congrats for sticking your head above the parapet Lol.

Reactions: morricab

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Brad, Rush "membership" back in the day was always a secret society.
Congrats for sticking your head above the parapet Lol.
I think they are considered kind of cool now as their reputation only grows with time...they will still be played 50 years from now unlike most other bands...

Reactions: bonzo75 and Al M.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I think they are considered kind of cool now as their reputation only grows with time...they will still be played 50 years from now unlike most other bands...
Heard my first Rush song when I was 7 at my neighbors (2112 overture/temples of syrinx) and became a die hard fan at age 11 (Signals). My first cd ever was Moving Pictures and cassette tape Hold Your Fire. Saw them four times in concert as well...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Brad, go onto YoTube and check out Rick Beato "What Makes This Song Great" Episode 19 Closer To The Heart and Episode 63 Limelight.

Reactions: asiufy

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Heard my first Rush song when I was 7 at my neighbors (2112 overture/temples of syrinx) and became a die hard fan at age 11 (Signals). My first cd ever was Moving Pictures and cassette tape Hold Your Fire. Saw them four times in concert as well...
Gosh, you're just a youngster. I saw them on the Tour Of The Spheres 1977 onwards. If you can find any of these live Hemispheres tour bootlegs, you'll find a band on fire. Alex Lifeson's guitar tones in particular, and Pete Towshend-inspired lead/rhythm guitar hybrid style was really unique, and allowed Rush a fleshed out sound that belied there being only three guys in the group. Neil doing the heavy lifting/hyper agile steering along w Geddy Lee again doubling the usual role of bass to transform traditional 4 strings function into something more kinetic, all made Rush sound more like a five piece than power trio. Throw in totally thought provoking lyrics, and a restless drive to first improve their instrumental prowess, then their sonic pallette and then their songwriting and compositions, and you have the very epitome of progressive rock.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Brad, go onto YoTube and check out Rick Beato "What Makes This Song Great" Episode 19 Closer To The Heart and Episode 63 Limelight.
Already did so last year ;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
The Limelight one is fantastic. Rush at the peak of their powers, a song that melds the personal w the universal, and an early sign of their move into more accessible music w no dilution of the Rush ethos.

Rick is rocking on this one, Rick really nails why Rush will be timeless, and this song, plus the band generally, will remain essential forever.

Tony Williams, legendary Miles Davis compatriot, was a guest on a radio show in the 80s listening to and commenting on various tracks, not having much positive to say. "Limelight" was the last track played, his ears pricked up, and he was hugely complimentary to the band, and Neil in particular, singling out his unerring ability to make odd time signatures flow, and serve the music. Tony loved the track.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The Limelight one is fantastic. Rush at the peak of their powers, a song that melds the personal w the universal, and an early sign of their move into more accessible music w no dilution of the Rush ethos.

Rick is rocking on this one, Rick really nails why Rush will be timeless, and this song, plus the band generally, will remain essential forever.

Tony Williams, legendary Miles Davis compatriot, was a guest on a radio show in the 80s listening to and commenting on various tracks, not having much positive to say. "Limelight" was the last track played, his ears pricked up, and he was hugely complimentary to the band, and Neil in particular, singling out his unerring ability to make odd time signatures flow, and serve the music. Tony loved the track.
My favorites on that album are Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta and Vital Signs. Favorite album is Signals, Permanent Waves and Hemispheres.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Wow, that's a great story, thanks. If drummer genius Tony Williams (am a huge fan) had so much positive to say, that means something.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing