Neil Peart Dead at 67

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Reading some fascinating interviews as a reponse. In one, Neil Qd on his disbelief in a higher power. He freely admits that when he hit the road as a response to losing his family, he seriously railed against the injustice. Anyone would have, even the strongest personalities. And yet he returned to his original philosophy on life. How much strength of character does that demonstrate? More than maybe most of us. And I believe musicians and artists of all types will know this about Neil and the lottery of life, and feel deep empathy for him and his plight. I remain in awe of the guy.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Just a little bit eh!

Like everyone else I was completely unaware and blown away at the news. Yesterday while trolling Facebook a workmate from decades ago tagged me in a Peart drum solo, no text, nothing, just the drum solo video. The timing was a little off so I fired up my laptop to dig deeper and up pops a PM from my WBF Rush mate Marc.

I took a day to process before posting.

For me it all started in my high school library listening to my upper classmates rave about this album by a band named Rush titled 2112. They went on and on for the whole time we were in there. They were not talking to me, they were talking amungst themselves but the conversation sold the album to me so I went out and bought it and the rest as they say is history!

There was a radio interview, early 80's, by the infamous Jim Ladd on 94.7 KMET with Neil. My partner in crime (RIP) and I had planned on listening to it and were racing home to listen to in on the stereo and didn't make it in time. We were listening on the car radio and the conversation was so intense that we literally had to pull of the road into a parking lot and focus on dynamics of what he was saying.....that and to get into the right frame of mind.

I have seen them live every tour since Moving Pictures and even talked the sound engineer out of the set list from the mixing board on the Time Machine Tour in Louisville KY. Wanted to post a pick of it but its buried in storage.

Neil lived in Los Angeles and was known for showing up at jazz gigs in small clubs and sitting in unannounced or even playing whole gigs not listing himself as the prime mover. You just had to be in the right place at the right time and believe me I tried to find those gigs but never did. His love for jazz ran deep as evidenced by his Buddy Rich tribute albums he put together.

At one of my visits to Mikes place I brought 2112 and did my best to piss off his system which it did not but it did sort out Grand Finale better than anything I have ever heard it on and somewhat got Mike to listen to them.

The world can and should learn a lot from Neil and his actions as a member of the human race. He suffered travesties that I don't think I would have survived let alone return to as normal as a life as he did. He is a drummers drummer and lyricist at the same time captured the public eye as an outstanding human being. He had an unquestionable work ethic, stayed out of trouble and brought a positive message to all.

I leave you with this track with Rush as a guest on the Max Webster album Universal Juvenile (such a fun album to listen to) called Battle Scar. The song was recorded live in studio, both bands playing together, so you have two of everything, drums,bass ,guitar,vocal and keys. They used to play the song together when touring. Most people have never heard this track but the energy of two bands having a blast together comes through, you can hear the smiles and if you know anything about Rush and there antics, I assure you they were going on during this recording.

R.I.P buddy.

That's a great blast from the past, love that album and track....Max Webster, Kim Mitchell solo works, Talas (Rush opened for them when Talas was big and Rush was breaking out big) were all early favorites but Rush is the best Canadian band of all great Canadian bands ever!!!

Reactions: jeff1225

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
SC, Rush had so many things to contend with, being Canadian cut no ice w their fiercest US critics.

At least they got compensated w all those Juno Awards lol.

One thing I would love to have asked Neil. With his self confessed "weak" ankles, how the heck did he go on to manage those bass drum/linear ride patterns that were his signature sound, as in the verses of Spirit..., YYZ and Subdivisions?

Re the latter song, that was the one that sealed the deal for me personally. All my hip friends at the time preferred Dylan. Me? I now had Peart.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Rush has never been the Prog-Rock music I rushed to listen to, even if I'm Canadian.
I was more into Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull and King Crimson and Yes.
Some French Rock artists musicians/singers too but mainly unknown from the upperworld.

But Neil Peart's drumming and some of his lyrics are in a galaxy of their own.
In death I'm learning more to get closer to him, to be a friend.
Some people, some poets, some musicians it's just the way it is.

? https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/13/opinion/neil-peart-rush.html

? https://nationalpost.com/opinion/co...e-your-friend-it-still-feels-like-we-lost-one

Reactions: sbo6

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Peart was one of the best. I saw Rush back in the late 80s and they put on a hell of a show. Technique, speed, originality.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Rush has never been the Prog-Rock music I rushed to listen to, even if I'm Canadian.
I was more into Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull and King Crimson and Yes.
Some French Rock artists musicians/singers too but mainly unknown from the upperworld.

But Neil Peart's drumming and some of his lyrics are in a galaxy of their own.
In death I'm learning more to get closer to him, to be a friend.
Some people, some poets, some musicians it's just the way it is.

? https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/13/opinion/neil-peart-rush.html

? https://nationalpost.com/opinion/co...e-your-friend-it-still-feels-like-we-lost-one
Bob, re that second National Post article, it is indeed fantastic that an icon who promoted 100% non-ingraciation to either media, industry or indeed even over-intrusive fans, could generate such love from musicians and fans, and deep respect even from many non fans. There's no doubt the horrific double tragedy that wiped out his family and made him get away, led to some sort of reassessment that huge barriers maybe weren't entirely productive. Neil seemed a good degree more open, inclusive and less judgemental when he returned from exile (his interviews from 70s and early 80s could be easily read as harsh to many people esp a big proportion of fans), and in conjuction w Rush loosening up in their last decade, fans growing up and joining the music press to soften the media message, and Neil in particular being more approachable, the big chill on Rush since 1974 finally thawed. No doubt a new family incl daughter born in 2010 helped.

And then this.

Last edited:

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Ordered a 16X24 canvas of this from the artist. He nailed it on this one.

https://www.artofthomasestrada.com/shop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200115-203859_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20200115-203859_Facebook.jpg
    517.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Reactions: NorthStar

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
The Whats Best of drum kit. The first time I saw the kit I was smitten! The detail in every single aspect of the set, even the floor is mind blowing.

Reactions: NorthStar

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Alex was just a crazy youngster in 2004 Lol.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bob, in mid 80s, Geddy Lee of Rush ran big Krell monoliths, Apogee Scintillas, and...a $200 Philips cdp.

I would love to have heard that. He said it was the only system he could properly hear and feel his bass off cd's.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Bob, in mid 80s, Geddy Lee of Rush ran big Krell monoliths, Apogee Scintillas, and...a $200 Philips cdp.

I would love to have heard that. He said it was the only system he could properly hear and feel his bass off cd's.

I sure didn't know that Marc. Mid 80s was the start of CD players in Canada.
Before that we were all born and growing up with vinyls...since the 40s and 50s (us here still alive). I never abandoned my sources, I never get rid of my TTs. I bought my first Denon CD player around 86. Digital music was a guilty sin, the bass took over my entire body, shaking it to its foundations...guts and balls.

The two members of Rush today; I wonder what hi-fi stereo system they use @ home...music server, turntable, disc spinner, hires music downloads, audio files stored on their computers, ...?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bob, musicians are just not interested in good sound. They hear it in their head. It's the making of the music that matters most.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing