New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

Westbrook is not the Westbrook in the Western playoffs. He is not as confident shooting the ball like he was in those western series. Maybe the Heat defense and maybe Finals pressure. But unless he scores 25 to 30 points like he did, OKC is going to rely purely on KD's output which has resulted in 2 losses. Harden too should find his real game. OKC has no Nowitzki-like player who is 7' and can shoot over anybody last year against the Heat and who can drive almost at will. KD has to hone up his penetrations and not just on long shots. OKC's offense is not what we are used to seeing, and missed foul shots last game killed them. The season is on the line tomorrow. 1-3 is a big hole to dig up to.

Hi

I still don't know who will win the Series. One thing in all objectivity LBJ, is very, very special. He is right now the best player in Basketball and has demonstrated so/ The Heat big three are producing and are creating mismatch for OKC.
Wade elevated his game in the last game played. Bosh has been steady and proven (me wrong) to be extremely important to the team.. Battier is playing out of his mind offensively (we always knew he was a superb defensive player) and if he keeps this up they will win. Durand is having a lot of problem coping with LBJ who's too strong for him in the low post both defensively and offensively and seems to tire him during the game. Westbrook seems to be extremely affected by the criticisms and appears to be hesitant on the floor. Also the Heat are playing him differently almost forcing him to pass the ball. There is always a body in font of him and however fast he moves they front him with someone usually Wade but also Chalmers and once in a while LBJ.
So far: a great series regardless who wins a vindication for LBJ. If one loves basketball one has to admit we are witnessing a truly superlative player in LBJ. many willnot forgive him for "The Decision", I was one of those .. I am reluctantly allowing him the King James moniker he is that good.. What he's done in the past five games is likely unmatched (about 30 pts, 7 reb and 5 assist per game) in the annals of NBA Finals and that against very good teams (Celtics and Thunders). The man is the Best player in the NBA right now.

HI

I am certain the press willbe on Westbrook case about his decision to fault Chalmers with 4 secs on the clock ... He didn't lose the game .. The Heat won it. LBJ willed this win out .. His numbers are exceptional, the stuff of legends, averaging close to a triple double in these finals ... UNless we witness a total Heat breakdown the likelihood of which is microscopic, they'll win this championship.. looks like they have figured OKC out. I see them winning again the next game, especially if LBJ continues to play at that cosmic level.

Well, it's all over. OKC did a good early in an aggressive start, but Heat just came back and kept the game back in place for a tight one. And in home court in a tight one, the odds are going to be good in your favor. Heat is showing the toughness of championship teams and they have put OKC away in after 4 games. 3-1, and being home for the next kill. They will be tasting the title in their house. Harden a no factor again tonight, though Westbrook's 43 isn't enough for them to beat Miami. Heat plays better as a team, and the defensive toughness is their weapon. Although, if I were Scott Brooks, I can have only one thing to say to my boys, one win is enough to send the series back to OKC. OKC HAD to win games 3 OR 4 to send it back home, and they dug themselves a big hole and now have to win game 5 or else Miami celebrates, and for James, finally a title. If OKC actually wins Game 5, then they simply bring back their home court advantage in the 2-3-2 format. They lost game 2 which is why they need to win 1 out of 3 in Miami. But Miami has the momentum, and win a Game 5 win, the Heat would have actually beaten OKC 4 consecutive games, something that was unthinkable at the start of the Finals.

Last edited:
The surprise here is not just that MIA is up 3-1, being underdogs in Vegas and all, but that how OKC has managed to win only 1 game out of 4 so far. The Pacers were up 2-1 at one point over the Heat, and Boston was up 3-2 at one point, aging and banged up and all. A young and powerhouse Thunder team that cruised through the Finals suddenly are the ones staring at elimination. So what happened? The answer to me lies in MIA controlling their own destiny by their consistent plays. Aside from their 3 stars, Battier, Chalmers, Haslem and even rookie Norris Cole have done the damage in one game or another. These were the Terry, Barea, Mahinmi, and Peja's of Dallas last season. So far, the off the bench and role player of OKC had shown up only on Game 1. And Durant is showing us that he is no Dirk Nowitzki of last year, who can will his way into the lane and shoot from the outside. Many times KD's shots were challenged. And while Westbrook finally played his game today, he was right, it was not his foul that lost the game. There were 200 plays and OKC didn't do well in much of those.

What OKC does not have now is momentum and maybe even morale. They came into Miami knowing they needed to steal one game out of 3 to send the series back to OKC for games 6 and 7. That was not really an impossible chore. But blowing their first and second chances dealt a big blow in their psyche, much more than the need to win 1 out of 3 games And pressure will be too much for them to beat a Heat team whose dream is just 48 minutes and a game away. At this point, only the Thunder fans will believe.

I agree Phil

As for Westbrook losing it at the end, I agree with Frantz somewhat but as great as he was scoring last night he was out of control on a lot of shots and did make some foolish mistakes

It would be nice to see it go back to OKC however

BTW, Harden has been a no show for the entire series

It would be nice to see it go back to OKC however

BTW, Harden has been a no show for the entire series

That's true, Steve. I feel a big game by Harden is needed to propel the series back to OKC. Westbrook has exploded, Kevin still has to show his unstoppable self which was evident in the Western playoffs, and Harden, well, hasn't really been himself for no apparent reason save for Miami not giving him open looks at the arc area. I guess it's safe to say that nobody else can be expected to 'save' the team aside from huge games by their big trio. And they have to do it at the same time. The offense of the Heat has sharpened from the Eastern playoffs and they have answers to any big leads. Coming back from 17 within a quarter or two is incredible and if I'm not mistaken they have done it twice already. If OKC's season ends tomorrow, they would have ended up like the Bulls of last year, so much expectations but realizing that there is still something missing despite superb manpower - and that would be championship class and savvy as a team. And let's not forget Coach Spo. Great job in steering this team in the Finals. Funny that when they were down 1-2 against the Pacers, the press was buzzing (again) that his job was on the line. Another win tomorrow and they will be talking about contract extension, most probably. :D

That's true, Steve. I feel a big game by Harden is needed to propel the series back to OKC. Westbrook has exploded, Kevin still has to show his unstoppable self which was evident in the Western playoffs, and Harden, well, hasn't really been himself for no apparent reason save for Miami not giving him open looks at the arc area. I guess it's safe to say that nobody else can be expected to 'save' the team aside from huge games by their big trio. And they have to do it at the same time. The offense of the Heat has sharpened from the Eastern playoffs and they have answers to any big leads. Coming back from 17 within a quarter or two is incredible and if I'm not mistaken they have done it twice already. If OKC's season ends tomorrow, they would have ended up like the Bulls of last year, so much expectations but realizing that there is still something missing despite superb manpower - and that would be championship class and savvy as a team. And let's not forget Coach Spo. Great job in steering this team in the Finals. Funny that when they were down 1-2 against the Pacers, the press was buzzing (again) that his job was on the line. Another win tomorrow and they will be talking about contract extension, most probably. :D

Phil how true

I still feel you've missed your vocation as a sportswriter. You're better than most we have here

Phil how true

I still feel you've missed your vocation as a sportswriter. You're better than most we have here

Thanks, Steve. That would have meant I get free tickets to every NBA games that I get to cover. I'm dreaming of course, but I sure would have loved it. :)

another factor that has amazed me in this series is that KD seems to have been taken completely out of the rhythm and pace of his game. Unfortunately several dubious fouls were called against him

Steve, MIA has denied KD the ball. Look at how KD would have to come out real far, often at the 3 point area, just to receive a pass. Inside? Harder. And you're right, it has taken him out of his usual rhythm. Unless they make him a point forward like James did sometimes. And another thing I feel too is that Coach Brooks has to shuffle his rotation like Spo did. Spo was not afraid to experiment any sort of combinations on the floor, and look, it's paying off. To think Spo has not even used Joel Anthony much in this series.

As we are staring at a very possible end of the NBA season tomorrow, there is just one glimmer of hope for Scott Brooks and his boys and this is the fact that the 1998 Finals between the Chicago Bulls and the Utah Jazz went about the same way on the first 4 games. Utah started the 2-3-2 by losing game 2 at home after winning the first. They then lost the next 2 in Chicago to go down 1-3. And, amazingly, bucking all planned celebrations in the city of Chicago for game 5 at the home court of Chicago, Utah stunned the basketball world by beating Chicago at home by 2 points. So if OKC were to look at this, there is some history to be repeated here. :D Just maybe. Of course, The Bulls counter-stunned the Utah fans by winning Game 6 in front of the Utah fans by a margin of only 1 point, and with it, the NBA championship. OKC would be very much happy if they can win Game 5 by 1 point, and think about going home for another day of basketball.

Sessions opts out of final year........I am OK with this. I like him but certainly not as the point guard the Lakers build a team around

Mitch Kupchak on Ramon Sessions

Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak answered questions from the five beat writers who cover the team, including us here at Lakers.com, to discuss the decision of Ramon Sessions to opt out of the final year on his current deal.

Had Sessions picked up his option, he’d have been guaranteed to play for the Lakers in the 2012-13 season, where as he will now become a free agent starting on July 1 with the ability to sign with any team.

On Sessions not picking up his option:
Kupchak: The fact that he would not extend (his option) clearly puts him in the position where he’s an unrestricted free agent on July 1. With all situations like that, both sides have to absorb some risk. I’m not quite sure if he’s completely aware of what the future holds for him beginning on July 1. Beginning today, we have to plan for the contingency that he won’t be available as a free agent at a later date in July. We have to make sure we have back up plans in place.

I suppose we could look to fill that position between now and July 1 via a trade, or we can wait until July 1 and pursue Ramon, or perhaps another free agent, although we’re limited with the exceptions available to us. He did indicate that he was happy here in Los Angeles and that he would look to return. But once again, once the market comes into play, there’s no telling what will happen. We don’t know if he’s going to be back or not at this point, so we have to cover our bases, which (Ramon and his agent) understand. Beginning on July 1, it takes one team to make him an offer that we couldn’t or would not match; there’s a market value, and then there’s always a team that will do something beyond the market value. So that’s the whole process of uncertainty with becoming a free agent, but he’s represented by a really experienced agent and Ramon is a bright kid. We’ve talked it through and I think both sides are aware of the uncertainty that each side has to deal with.

On if Kupchak wants him back, or wishes he would have picked up the option:
Kupchak: My preference was that he would have extended for one more year.

On having few games with Sessions:
Kupchak: We had a shortened season, no training camp. He was traded to us in mid-March, which is late, probably about 20-something games to go. He’d admit that he wasn’t really familiar with playoff intensity – it was the first time he’d ever played in a playoff game. So I think he would indicate if he were talking to you right now that he thinks he’ll play better with a year of training camp, 80-something games and playoff (experience) under his belt next year, and I think he will too.

On Sessions as a player:
Kupchak: He’s an incredible athlete, he thinks the game, he understands the game, he’s great in the locker room, he wants to improve. I thought when he first got here he was very effective and I thought as we approached the playoffs and particularly the second round of the playoffs, he wasn’t as comfortable as he was at the beginning. Having gone through that many, many years ago, the playoffs are a completely different experience. The intensity level, the scrutiny, the awareness by the public. Typically you don’t see (young players succeed as much) under those conditions. I think he’d admit it wasn’t his best basketball. I look at our team, and not many of our players (played their best).

On if he’s surprised Sessions didn’t exercise the option:
Kupchak: No. Nothing surprises me at this point. He is a young player that’s going to get better, and now you’re dealing with a traditional unrestricted free agent situation, and there’s a number of different ways that can go.

On what the Lakers could offer Sessions as a free agent:
Kupchak: He falls into the unrestricted free agent category, and we have Bird rights with him. So I don’t believe we’re limited other than the maximum exemption, which obviously he wouldn’t apply for.

On what the team wants to do with Sessions moving forward:
Kupchak: Even if we did, I’m not sure I’d share it right now. You could have 8-10 teams that value him at a certain number, but maybe there’s another team that values him at a much higher number. We’ve been involved in situations like that in the past. We knew what his number was if he did extend. But it can work the other way too: the market might not be as good as he thinks it might be. But he’s a young, developing player who I think is going to get better.

On if this changes how he looks at the trade for Sessions with Cleveland:
Kupchak: There were several reasons why we made the trade. Obviously we were aware that he could elect not to extend. Like I mentioned earlier, that’s not what I was hoping for, but it frees up dollars to go in another direction if that’s what we choose to do. When we evaluated the trade three or four months ago, those were the things we talked about. We felt either way, we were in a good position, maybe one way a little bit better if he chose to extend.

On the free agent class:
Kupchak: There is always value. In terms of high profile names, I wouldn’t categorize this free agent class as one of the best ever, but there is always value out there depending upon how you define it. Whether it’s at the minimum, the mid-level or the mini-mid (level), there’s somebody out there every year that can play and help your club.

On Andrew Goudelock and Darius Morris:
Kupchak: Andrew Goudelock is on a 2-year deal, so we have no decision to make there. Darius Morris – we have until June 30 to tender him a 1-year contract. If we do that, we retain his rights and we retain the right to negotiate with him beginning July 1.

Boy did I get my predictions wrong. The Heat on the floor was not the Heat I'd grown used to. NOW they are scary. They earned this championship. Congratulations Miami.

HI

Do people realize how extraordinary LBJ performance in these playoffs has been? Do we truly realize how good this player is? He will not make us forget the greatest players but he deserves a place in the conversation about the best players ever... I hated his ill-fated "decision". It has immaturity and hubris at their worst. I see here the beginning of a "duonasty" similar to the Lakers-Celtics run of the 80's and early 90's... The Heat are scary, however the OKC seems to be more balanced additionally KD, Westbrook, Ibaka and Haden are very young and will get better which makes them as scary as or scarier than the Heat ... And there are the Pacers, Bulls, Knick and Nets and there are still the stalwart Lakers, Spurs and Celtics .. Interesting upcoming season. This one was great.

P.S. I didn't expect the near-sweep OKC suffered. They are better than that and with more experience would have made it a 7-game series but it was LBJ year. He would not be denied.

I guess very few people expected this kind of ending from OKC. Vegas had then favored as champs. And when I saw how they defeated the mighty Spurs, they were favorites too in my books like many others .

Agreed. It was Miami's year. When I saw those 3's of Mike Miller raining in, I mean 7 3's by him alone tonight, I felt it was their destiny to win it all this year. Nothing on earth can stop a team like that. There was consistent output by their starters and their bench players took turns socking the Thunder team who had to play catch up virtually all five games. In hindsight, the formula for beating this Heat team was well done by the Mavs last season. They played zone. They had 2 bigs who were the second line of defense in Dirk and Chandler. They had many players who rained in 3's, they had a true point guard, and all these, OKC did not have this series. We can only see the upstream effort of Westbrook and Durant and that was destined to fall short. You can't win a title that way.

As for Lebron. Agree with Frantz. This guy is a pure talent of an individual basketball player. In his category, I can hardly think of anyone who can defend this guy or limit his point output. The twisting shot over Perkins, a beefy pure center, says it all. Banging bodies with a center and scoring to boot. Amazing. A question then lingers in my mind, last year after the Bulls were beaten by the Heat, Scotty Pippen said James was better then Jordan. Can he say it again today?

And on to FREE AGENCY for our own favorite teams, Lakers, Bulls, Celtics, Spurs, etc. In their minds will be how to combat a Heat team that is primed to be there again in the Finals next year. GMs will have their hands full.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu