New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

Doc signed a five year extension with the Celts last May. 35 mil for 5 years.

And just to be argumentative--my vote goes to Pops as the best coach. Unheralded and always has the team at the top of the West every year!

I agree about Pop but as Frantz says, Doc is also a more than worthy coach

Agreed. We're nitpicking here :)

I like Doc and wish the Knicks had gotten him when they had the opportunity. That's Dolan for you. I do have some hope though that Woodson will be a good coach.

Hi

Very interestin article about the Heat system... It makes them scarier click Here
I can't believe a team offering so much for Rashard lewis a good player but nothing superlative .. Not even a star ... Larry Johnson at least seemed to be on the verge of being a formidable Power Forward before his back injuries made of him a (barely adequate) jump shooter ... Rashard Lewis ??!!?? :confused:

My mistake there. I shouldn't have included Rashard Lewis as a 'great' player in the company of LJ or Glenn Robinson (he was not that great either) :D I only meant to highlight those players with huge huge contracts whom did not bring a title to their teams. :)

It'll be great that I do not have to listen to another year of can LBJ close in big games and win a championship. He took the team on his back in game three and carried them to the championship. That blowout in game five was no fluke.

No it is Glenn River's defense that was implemented by THibodeau .. His offensive playbook is as intricate with strange curls that allow people to be open without having to move heaven and earth .. Wacth the Way Paul Pierce seem to always pop out of his best shooting position .. or Ray Allen to be open or KG to be right where he is more comfortable after a Rondo penetration. ...

Agreed, Frantz. Even if I were not a Celtics fan, I would have noted that too. Doc's steering the C's to one game away from the Finals, with that kind of a patched-up injury ridden line-up, not to mention 'aging', is a great achievement in itself. How he designed the offense and defense in Game 5 alone, when the C's beat Miami on their homecourt was something else, as we saw in this Finals how hard it was for OKC to beat MIA at home, and OKC had a young and complete lineup that demolished ex-champions, Dallas, SAS, and LA Lakers.

It'll be great that I do not have to listen to another year of can LBJ close in big games and win a championship. He took the team on his back in game three and carried them to the championship. That blowout in game five was no fluke.

True. I think this year, James finally dealt with the 'mental toughness' aspect of his game successfully. The media always harped about his failure to close big games for the past few years and finally James has been able to quiet the media down. After the game 5 loss at home to Boston, the press did some hard and sharp attacks once again of James' failure to win big games and started to prophesy his doom when the fact was, it wasn't really his fault or failure in that game that MIA lost. And he came out next game blazing with 45 points at the Boston TD Garden to quiet the press. And after that, Doc said, I hope there will be NO MORE talk of James not delivering on big games. In short, that media attack did nothing to help Doc or Boston but it certainly helped James and the Heat. After all, one can take only so much. Any great player would love to prove his critics wrong, and this season, time was on the side of James.

Let's see next season if James will do the same, WITHOUT the criticisms. He might miss it. :D

I think James will be fine next year. The Heat health concern is likely D-Wade.. His game has always been to drive the lane with abandon ... He got his share of bruises and bumps with much larger players and it has affected his output. If he is injured it will affect James effectiveness and in fact the whole Miami playbook. Other teams will counter among them the 76ers and the Pacers...Good hungry teams waiting for the right opportunity to strike...

It's been a while Basketball hasn't been that fun ...

Although an abbreviated season it seemed like a full season because there were games on every day and who can forget 5 televised games on Christmas Day? The playoffs were incredible and although I will never be an LBJ or Heat fan, and always thinking OKC will only get better, James earned everyone's respect this year. He is the King. Last King was Charles or did MJ rise to the throne as well. I think LBJ was well prepped mentally better than any other playoff in which he played

I think James will be fine next year. The Heat health concern is likely D-Wade.. His game has always been to drive the lane with abandon ... He got his share of bruises and bumps with much larger players and it has affected his output. If he is injured it will affect James effectiveness and in fact the whole Miami playbook. Other teams will counter among them the 76ers and the Pacers...Good hungry teams waiting for the right opportunity to strike...

It's been a while Basketball hasn't been that fun ...

I don't know if it's just me but I have noticed, too many times in fact, that Wade loves to fall down after a perceivable 'contact' with an opposing player. I've heard of defensive flopping but his case is actually on the offensive side. He falls down a lot after a lay-up where an opponent is beside him, on desperation heaves at the 3 point line when the clock is going down, and on shots where he is tightly challenged. While it's all part of his game, I wonder if these 'acts' will bring him closer to further injuries or expend is energy even more, at the cost of attracting more whistles for fouls. I'm trying to think of another player who falls down as much as him after a perceived contact.

Although an abbreviated season it seemed like a full season because there were games on every day and who can forget 5 televised games on Christmas Day? The playoffs were incredible and although I will never be an LBJ or Heat fan, and always thinking OKC will only get better, James earned everyone's respect this year. He is the King. Last King was Charles or did MJ rise to the throne as well. I think LBJ was well prepped mentally better than any other playoff in which he played

My sentiments too, Steve. I don't know why I never rooted for the Heat even if those earlier years in the playoffs. I was for Dallas too when they lost that series with Shaq as a Heat. While objectively looking at the incredible skills of James as a ballplayer, just like with MJ, I will never be a fan of them. Probably something about their character evolution.

And I would think too that OKC will only get better but in my own mind, I kept thinking that OKC, or any contenders should look into the tapes of how Dallas beat the Heat last season. The Heat was basically the same, save for Battier, and they actually took off a strong Joel Anthony from the rotation this year. Dallas had 2 bigs, a shooting one, and a stopper in the paint. Dallas had an experienced point guard who is one of the best the game. They had at three good 3 point shooters. And they mastered the zone without getting the T's. And of course, they had 3-4 bench scorers who consistently did damage. This year, James was unstoppable in the penetrations and the passes he made. He did those at will. As good as OKC's D was, it wasn't designed or primed for that. Perk became an average guy when James drove. I don't even want to use the word that James made him look 'small'. When double-teamed, James passed to an open 3 pt shooter. That was where Dallas succeeded. And James would be met by the 2 bigs as second line of defense when he drove. If only Dallas preserved their line up and not lose 3-4 key players I believe they would be very much in these playoffs and maybe even be in the finals with the Heat. But alas, the parity of the game with free agency and drafts had made the league less predictable and more exciting. Great year indeed.

I don't know if it's just me but I have noticed, too many times in fact, that Wade loves to fall down after a perceivable 'contact' with an opposing player. I've heard of defensive flopping but his case is actually on the offensive side. He falls down a lot after a lay-up where an opponent is beside him, on desperation heaves at the 3 point line when the clock is going down, and on shots where he is tightly challenged. While it's all part of his game, I wonder if these 'acts' will bring him closer to further injuries or expend is energy even more, at the cost of attracting more whistles for fouls. I'm trying to think of another player who falls down as much as him after a perceived contact.

Maybe Allen Iverson same driving in the lane and hiting much bigger bodies and falling on the floor .. Wade plays that way .. been doing it for years with success and breaking a body part here and there:) .. talk about "banged up" Wade has been and more so than many in basketball ...

My sentiments too, Steve. I don't know why I never rooted for the Heat even if those earlier years in the playoffs. I was for Dallas too when they lost that series with Shaq as a Heat. While objectively looking at the incredible skills of James as a ballplayer, just like with MJ, I will never be a fan of them. Probably something about their character evolution.

And I would think too that OKC will only get better but in my own mind, I kept thinking that OKC, or any contenders should look into the tapes of how Dallas beat the Heat last season. The Heat was basically the same, save for Battier, and they actually took off a strong Joel Anthony from the rotation this year. Dallas had 2 bigs, a shooting one, and a stopper in the paint. Dallas had an experienced point guard who is one of the best the game. They had at three good 3 point shooters. And they mastered the zone without getting the T's. And of course, they had 3-4 bench scorers who consistently did damage. This year, James was unstoppable in the penetrations and the passes he made. He did those at will. As good as OKC's D was, it wasn't designed or primed for that. Perk became an average guy when James drove. I don't even want to use the word that James made him look 'small'. When double-teamed, James passed to an open 3 pt shooter. That was where Dallas succeeded. And James would be met by the 2 bigs as second line of defense when he drove. If only Dallas preserved their line up and not lose 3-4 key players I believe they would be very much in these playoffs and maybe even be in the finals with the Heat. But alas, the parity of the game with free agency and drafts had made the league less predictable and more exciting. Great year indeed.

James wasn't at such ease in the low post last year ... Now becasue of this facet of his game people are trying to dare him to shoot the jumper bthen again becasuse of his low post newfound abilti becasue of the large cushion he has to be given (eles he pivots around the big man and dunk on them, like he did to Perkins and also KG) .. THe same cushion allows him to hit his jumpers.. He is basically unguardable these days .. Team may play him the way the Celtics used to play Jordan .. Let him score his 50 and limit the rest of the team to 30 then score 100.. The C's did that to Chicago a number of times , remember the game in which MJ scored 63 points to only lose by 10 points

He is basically unguardable these days .. Team may play him the way the Celtics used to play Jordan .. Let him score his 50 and limit the rest of the team to 30 then score 100.. The C's did that to Chicago a number of times , remember the game in which MJ scored 63 points to only lose by 10 points

Agreed, Frantz. James is unguardable, on single coverage. And on the other hand, he showed that he could guard KD though KD is a couple of inches taller than him. Agreed too with Steve, KD needs to beef up to have more 'width' to go with this length. Somehow with James' bulk, he is still so swift in slicing to the basket, a slasher par excellence. And up to now, I don't know how he does that drive, stops then makes the BIG one hop with 2 feet splashing down and boom, he is a few inches from the basket. That looks like a mile of travel but refs says it's ok. :D I tried to replicate it my backyard, and I couldn't even comprehend how it's done without travelling. :D I think Kobe has a similar move too though James' hop is like an Olympic 'long jump'. :D

Hi

I wouldn't mess with KD too much. The things he does are unusual .. He's for all practical purposes a 7-footer who can do everything Norwitzki but better. A George "Ice" Gervin with more skills.. He may have to be stronger not bulkier and it has to be done in such a way to allow him to remain smooth and fluid .. Get stronger at the legs to maintain position on the low post but upper body bulk may cost him his smooth touch and precision.
James is a very special physical specimen, I would think genetically. He is 6'7" maybe 6'8" and weigh at least 260 pound of pure muscle .. Supple and flexible with athletic skills the world of basketball has never seem in such a big man.
I would also add that Kobe and MJ share the same physics including bizarre joints that tend to turn in strange directions...

Myles may add his thoughts on this but I would leave KD physic mostly alone ...

I am gearing up for Football season and see how far my Giants will go before breaking my heart...

Hi

I wouldn't mess with KD too much. The things he does are unusual .. He's for all practical purposes a 7-footer who can do everything Norwitzki but better. A George "Ice" Gervin with more skills.. He may have to be stronger not bulkier and it has to be done in such a way to allow him to remain smooth and fluid .. Get stronger at the legs to maintain position on the low post but upper body bulk may cost him his smooth touch and precision.
James is a very special physical specimen, I would think genetically. He is 6'7" maybe 6'8" and weigh at least 260 pound of pure muscle .. Supple and flexible with athletic skills the world of basketball has never seem in such a big man.
I would also add that Kobe and MJ share the same physics including bizarre joints that tend to turn in strange directions...

Myles may add his thoughts on this but I would leave KD physic mostly alone ...

I am gearing up for Football season and see how far my Giants will go before breaking my heart...

You're not going to turn KD into LBJ :) And if you do, you may affect his game. Strength is only one of many biomotor skills an athlete has to have. Don't forget also the common misperception that a big muscle is a strong muscle! It always comes down to the argument should an athlete meet an ideal or work and develop their athletic abilities to the max. As usual, the truth lies somewhere between.

Also remember that those "joints moving in all directions" is as much a liability as an advantage. What helps the elite athlete is they have the neuromuscular control to go along with their physical makeup. Lesser athletes and it leads to injuries :(

I see your points, Myles and Frantz. Maybe not a major transformation, as in lightweight to middleweight. :D And agreed, KD has to maintain his speed for penetrations. I guess James is just gifted by nature to have such tremendous physique. And I recall now what happened to Yao Ming. Bulked up noticeably from his early years. Maybe his leg or foot problem resulted from all that added weight.

Last edited:
I see your points, Myles and Frantz. Maybe not a major transformation, as in lightweight to middleweight. :D And agreed, KD has to maintain his speed for penetrations. I guess James is just gifted by nature to have such tremendous physique. And I recall now what happened to Yao Ming. Bulked up noticeable from his early years. Maybe his leg or foot problem resulted from all that added weight.

I would bet Yao foot problem was more related to his large height. Look at Mike Walton and/or other big men in the league. How about Manute Bol who died recently at age 47

I would bet Yao foot problem was more related to his large height. Look at Mike Walton and/or other big men in the league. How about Manute Bol who died recently at age 47

That's possible too, Steve.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu