New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

I can't figure out the thoughts of Dwight Howard. If he wanted out of ORL just like right now, he should have opted out of his last year and thereby make himself a free agent, and the Nets, for example did not have to release any players to ORL. What he did is to make the life of ORL's GM harder, in that now, the GM has too look for a team that has enough good players to trade for Dwight, who has narrowed down his wish to be with the Nets. But who will the Nets give up to ORL for a trade? And there are reports the Nets are close to acquiring Joe Johnson of the Hawks for a few players which means all the more, they have nobody to give to the Magic for Dwight Howard. Dwight should buy his own team and be his own GM. :D

D-Wil stays with the Nets.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/sto...hosen-brooklyn-nets-hometown-dallas-mavericks

And newly acquired Joe Johnson will give him help.

So what is the billionaire owner of the Nets waiting for? Sign in Dwight. :D

Sure sounds like Howard will end up in NY. But it will be a hefty price with Lopez, three #1s, etc. But then they have a backcourt and center that match up with the heat. Plus they resigned Wallace and added this new European player. If Howard does end up with the Nets, could be a team to watch! And could be a fun Knicks/Nets series!

Sure sounds like Howard will end up in NY. But it will be a hefty price with Lopez, three #1s, etc. But then they have a backcourt and center that match up with the heat. Plus they resigned Wallace and added this new European player. If Howard does end up with the Nets, could be a team to watch! And could be a fun Knicks/Nets series!

That's a lot of 1st round picks to buy for one youngish center but in the end, it's the short term that counts. The new Russian billionaire owner of the Nets had hinted on changing the face of the Nets and there was a time there were building-sized banners luring James to the Nets. But Howard, D-Will, and JJ can make a good core. I heard one analyst talking about $140m as the annual salary of the Nets, but to the new owner, money is not an object. So let's make the 2 NY teams potential Heat-busters. :D Need to check now if they got a good coach. :D Oh, it's Avery Johnson. Not bad. :)

And meanwhile, on my side of the camp. The Celtics have reported nailed Jason Terry to a 3 year contract. And even more interesting, Ray Allen is traveling to Miami to meet with the Heat front office. Tells you something, specially when Boston has put down a $6m offer and MIA can only offer $3m. He must have strong feelings about the Heat repeating as champs.

good for him

wonder if Knicks will match the offer

Curious since the Knicks could offer $24 mil for four years. But the Rockets didn't backload and use the poison pill. This new CBA is so wacky have no idea what the Knicks can do. Guess all depends if Knicks think the can come up with a free agent PG.

On paper, Nash as a Knick would look good. Heady veteran playmaker who can shoot. And his former team-up with Amare could be a plus as well. Knicks actually looked good on paper too last season but needed Linsanity to propel their wins. And their first round exit was a disappointment. Hope this season they find their ways to jell as a team.

That ought to make Steve a happy camper :)

Well, in the NBA, a 3 year deal for $8m a year should make any 38 year old happy. :) Too bad the Knicks lost out in the Nash rush. Now they should move the mountains for Linsanity to come back to NY.

Well, in the NBA, a 3 year deal for $8m a year should make any 38 year old happy. :) Too bad the Knicks lost out in the Nash rush. Now they should move the mountains for Linsanity to come back to NY.

I don't think so. The latest report is that the Rockets will offer a four year, poison pill deal. With the new cap approaching and the Knicks committed to three big salaries already, their hesitant to pay Lin 5-5-10-10 million a year. Lin ought to take the money and run because he just hit the Lotto.

There are other free agent PGs (I'm not sure if they've signed) out there like Raymond Felton, Andre Miller, Jameer Nelson, etc. Or maybe they go with Shumpert? But Shumpert probably won't be ready for beginning of season.

Phil

please enlighten me as to the benefits of a sign and trade. Why do they do it

Steve,

I'm not too perfectly clear on the sign and trade benefits as well. Maybe Myles or others have better understanding would care to share.

From my own take though, it seems that the one that benefits this Nash deal is the PHX Management and Nash. Because first, PHX gets a salary dump against the cap by not re-signing Nash, then, they get something (3 first rd picks) rather than nothing, and lastly, it gets Steve Nash happy with a max salary that they themselves are not willing to pay or cannot afford due to the cap. If PHX did not do the sign and trade, Nash gets to another team (mostly at a lower salary - using mid-level exception of like $3m to $4m) and PHX got nothing, just like CLE got when James went away. Now, what I'm at a loss at is why would the Lakers do this? By giving up many 1st round picks and paying Nash more than the mid-level exception? I guess the answer is the Lakers REALLY wanted badly to sign Nash rather than lose Nash out to higher bidders or to a higher value contract. In short, LAL paid for the value of Nash the way they saw it. In the end, it seems beneficial to both PHX and LAL.

Steve,

I'm not too perfectly clear on the sign and trade benefits as well. Maybe Myles or others have better understanding would care to share.

From my own take though, it seems that the one that benefits this Nash deal is the PHX Management and Nash. Because first, PHX gets a salary dump against the cap by not re-signing Nash, then, they get something (3 first rd picks) rather than nothing, and lastly, it gets Steve Nash happy with a max salary that they themselves are not willing to pay or cannot afford due to the cap. If PHX did not do the sign and trade, Nash gets to another team (mostly at a lower salary - using mid-level exception of like $3m to $4m) and PHX got nothing, just like CLE got when James went away. Now, what I'm at a loss at is why would the Lakers do this? By giving up many 1st round picks and paying Nash more than the mid-level exception? I guess the answer is the Lakers REALLY wanted badly to sign Nash rather than lose Nash out to higher bidders or to a higher value contract. In short, LAL paid for the value of Nash the way they saw it. In the end, it seems beneficial to both parties.

Easy answer to why the Lakers gave up first round picks in 2013 and 2015 is because they usually go deep in the playoffs and choose way near the end. IIRC, this year they didn't get a 1st round choice because of a similar deal

I don't think so. The latest report is that the Rockets will offer a four year, poison pill deal. With the new cap approaching and the Knicks committed to three big salaries already, their hesitant to pay Lin 5-5-10-10 million a year. Lin ought to take the money and run because he just hit the Lotto.

There are other free agent PGs (I'm not sure if they've signed) out there like Raymond Felton, Andre Miller, Jameer Nelson, etc. Or maybe they go with Shumpert? But Shumpert probably won't be ready for beginning of season.

Ouch to that poison pill offer. And that same thing was in Joe Johnson's contract to move to the Nets. At the last year of JJ's contract, he gets paid a whopping $25m at his age of 35, almost like what Kobe gets.

Easy answer to why the Lakers gave up first round picks in 2013 and 2015 is because they usually go deep in the playoffs and choose way near the end. IIRC, this year they didn't get a 1st round choice because of a similar deal

That's a good observation, Steve.

Steve,

From my own take though, it seems that the one that benefits this Nash deal is the PHX Management and Nash. Because first, PHX gets a salary dump against the cap by not re-signing Nash, then, they get something (3 first rd picks) rather than nothing, and lastly, it gets Steve Nash happy with a max salary that they themselves are not willing to pay or cannot afford due to the cap. If PHX did not do the sign and trade, Nash gets to another team (mostly at a lower salary - using mid-level exception of like $3m to $4m) and PHX got nothing, just like CLE got when James went away. Now, what I'm at a loss at is why would the Lakers do this? By giving up many 1st round picks and paying Nash more than the mid-level exception? I guess the answer is the Lakers REALLY wanted badly to sign Nash rather than lose Nash out to higher bidders or to a higher value contract. In short, LAL paid for the value of Nash the way they saw it. In the end, it seems beneficial to both PHX and LAL.

That's basically what I know :) That's why there are capologists ;)

And at this point, it looks like ORL is shopping for a team that will partner it for another sign and trade deal for Howard. Sign Howard to a willing payer of huge sums and years, and dump that contract to that willing team, and then get players and picks in return. The time is ticking for ORL and an unhappy Howard, after this season, more pressure for an ultimate sign and trade or else ORL gets nothing, just like Cleveland in the LeBron case. Reports say that a Nets deal is still possible for Howard.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu