New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

Looks like everyone is happy with this deal.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....s-statement-after-being-traded-to-the-lakers/

Steve Nash issues statement after being traded to the Lakers

Brett Pollakoff

Jul 4, 2012, 10:19 PM EDT
5 Comments
San Antonio Spurs v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

The Lakers acquiring Steve Nash through a sign-and-trade deal with the Suns was unexpected, to say the very least. New York and Toronto were considered the frontrunners to land Nash, but being close to family and having the opportunity to compete for a championship were factors that turned out to be more important than many on the outside first realized.

Nash issued a statement once the deal was done, and here it is in its entirety (via ESPN.com):

“For the last 8 seasons I’ve been blessed to play for a team and a city that has embraced me and that I have come to call home. This is a tough business and the only thing constant in life is change.

“After talking with (owner) Robert (Sarver) and (president of basketball operations) Lon (Babby) we’ve agreed that it’s time for both of us to move in new directions. I approached them and asked if they would be willing to do a sign and trade deal with L.A. because it is very important to me to stay near my children and family.

“They were very apprehensive and didn’t want to do it. Fortunately for me, they reconsidered. They saw that they were able to get assets for their team that will make them better, assets they would not have otherwise had and it made sense for them to do a deal that helps their team get better.

“I couldn’t be more grateful to the organization and Robert in particular. I know how hard this was for him and that fact that he was able to help me and my family in this way … it means a lot and says a lot about his character. I will never forget this gesture. Above and beyond.

“The Phoenix Suns are an amazing organization and fans should be excited about their future. I hope the Suns win a championship some day soon for all the amazing fans and wonderful people in the organization.”

Nash is a class act, and maybe some of the public perception of Suns owner Robert Sarver will improve after his actions helped Nash get to where he wanted to go. Suns fans will undoubtedly be disgusted seeing Nash play in a Lakers uniform next season, but maybe there’s some solace in knowing that it was his choice to do so, and that the organization repaid his loyalty by helping him get his wish via the sign-and-trade.

Steve Nash will surely help to relieve scoring load off Kobe. But they need to land Dwight Howard and keep Andrew Bynum. Even then, whether that's enough to challenge the Thunder is questionable. What about the Mav's? They've lost a vital cog in Jason Terry and with Derron Williams resigning with the Nets, Dirk remains the only member of their "unrespected" champion team. Unless of course they can land DH, but if I were the latter, I'd go with the Lakers and the proven tandem of Kobe and Steve. And what a frontline DH and AB would make. And for your beloved Celts, maybe Jason Terry can inject more energy than the aging Ray Allen but the latter's move to the Heat can only benefit him as defenses will have to slack of him to cover LBJ and DW. I don't care now old Ray may be but he still possess, IMO, one of the most picture perfect and accurate jumpers in the history of the league.

Steve Nash will surely help to relieve scoring load off Kobe. But they need to land Dwight Howard and keep Andrew Bynum. Even then, whether that's enough to challenge the Thunder is questionable. What about the Mav's? They've lost a vital cog in Jason Terry and with Derron Williams resigning with the Nets, Dirk remains the only member of their "unrespected" champion team. Unless of course they can land DH, but if I were the latter, I'd go with the Lakers and the proven tandem of Kobe and Steve. And what a frontline DH and AB would make. And for your beloved Celts, maybe Jason Terry can inject more energy than the aging Ray Allen but the latter's move to the Heat can only benefit him as defenses will have to slack of him to cover LBJ and DW. I don't care now old Ray may be but he still possess, IMO, one of the most picture perfect and accurate jumpers in the history of the league.

Well, as good as it sounds, to have DH in LA, I don't see how it's possible to have a scenario where LA gets Howard and Bynum in the same lineup. First, salary-wise, it's not viable. LA's salary might hit more than $100m to do that. Second, Lakers do not have players that ORL wants and will have run out of first round picks owed to PHX. Then, there is the problem of who starts at center, unless one of them will play the 4, which might be awkward for either one of them. Off season acquisitions can be key here. Tested veterans who can be off the bench 'microwaves' are going to help. Remember in 2008, Boston got James Posey in the off season and the guy was just like a microwave each time he comes in. Battier did just that for Miami in the finals. Boston is hoping Jason Terry (if he signs on July 11) will do just that for them. LA will be better off if they find some proven shooters, imo.

Mavs surprisingly are sinking themselves and have no one to blame but their management. For letting Tyson Chandler and Barea walk. And to land Howard, they have to give up even more players and future picks, and Howard it seems is picking his team, to be a title contender.

The C's meanwhile, looks to re-sign Ray Allen, Jeff Green and some young legs to their roster. The body english of Ray speaks doom for the C's in their desire to keep him. I saw Allen nonchalantly congratulating the Heat players after the Game 7 loss when KG and Rondo left without 'socializing' with the Heat players. Now he flies to Miami to talk about getting $3m when Aingle had left $6m on the table for him. If he does sign for half the money with the Heat, then all I can think of is his wounded pride when Doc used him as a 6th man in the playoffs and or the blotched trade with OJ Mayo - pretty much like what happened psychologically with Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom after blotched trades. So GMs now must be careful about trades, you gotta shove the trades in and not pull back, not unless Stern revokes it. :D

Somehow this off season free agent signing and trading seems to be the most interesting in recent memory. The one of The Decision was interesting but not memorable. :D The next hot item is where Linsanity is going to take place. Houston? Lin would like to land. :)

FWIW, the Lakers haven't drafted a regular starter since 2005

Hi

Was joking about how slow my Internet connection was .. Now it is no longer working and I miss the old slow one ;)

Anyhow, I like the trade. The Lakers needed a point guard and they got ne of the best ever. If they manage to retain Bynum and Gasol they'll have a serious lineup. It is true the Thunder can play fast but as shown by the Cletics of the eighties .. You can play slow and play well.. THe 80's Celtics had no speedster on the team, it would have been difficult to put "Celtics" and "Athletic" in the same sentence .. No one in its right mind would qualify Bird, Mac Hale , Parish D. Johnsopn or Danny Ainge of "Athletic" and yet.. they did fight and beat speedy teams and that included the fast, extremely fast Lakers. LAL with Nash will be a different very dangerous team. This makes the low post games of Gasol and Bynum more dangerous with a Nash who can dish them a passs where they want it or are more comfoprtable with it, Kobe has to be ecstatic.. Nash defense is the one area I am not too sure uf he will keep up with speedsters but they will have to contend with him on the offense and he's craftyCome on people!! Good trade .. Kobe can still play and Nash is doing his impersonation of another "old" man: Jason Kidd. if they find a way to land DH fine , else we'll be fine too ...

I don't see Nash not being able to keep up with the Westbrooks or Roses a problem if he, Kobe and MWP communicate well and redirect them properly to where two of the twin towers are. The three of them certainly have the defensive IQ. The one I think who should get some speed is Bynum. Is it me or does this guy look lazy a lot of the time?

Not a bad thing for NYK to get Kidd. For me, I thought Nash would be better for NY but since it didn't work out. Kidd would be a help in keeping the offense together, with all these 'raw' talents running around. :D And yes, if Lin comes back to NY, he would learn a lot from Kidd.

And Kidd, I believe will be the perfect guy that can feed and make Amare significant again in the inside. But someone has to tell Melo that he isn't a Black Hole. :D

Last edited:
Puzzling to me is how Dallas is de-shaping its team. From a world champion 2 years ago, then got eliminated in the first round last season and now, is almost sure to lose Terry and Kidd. Pretty soon, Dirk will be the last man standing from the championship team. Wonder what Cuban is thinking these days.

Wow those are STEEP penalties!

Yeah. Imagine if Lebron, Bosh and Wade did not 'sacrifice' their salaries. And these 3 are 'young' when they took pay cuts to their actual net worth. And that could be the killer in the backloaded contract Houston gave Lin for NY to match it. NY has to 'pause'.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu