New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

You mean Rash-weed? :)

:D

The guy, RW, was said to be working back to form last season and had his eyes set on the Lakers. Luckily, nothing happened. :D

Sources: Magic not planning for trade

By Brian Windhorst | ESPN.com

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The Orlando Magic are not thinking about a trade with the Los Angeles Lakers right now as much as using their playbook.

The Magic plan to try to handle Dwight Howard's recent trade demand in a similar fashion to how the Lakers dealt with Kobe Bryant's high-profile demand in 2007.

Orlando will field offers for their All-Star center but they also will take their time in an attempt to rebuild their relationship and improve the strength of their team.

As part of that strategy, sources told ESPN.com, the Magic currently do not plan to trade Howard.

New Magic CEO Alex Martins met with Howard when he arrived at Amway Center Monday morning. Afterward Howard sounded like he'd softened on the possibility of staying in Orlando as long as there are some changes.

"I love this city, there is no place I'd rather be but Orlando," Howard said. "I just want to make sure we have the right things here so we can win a championship. I'm all about change. If you're willing to change and you're willing to do what it takes to win then, you know, you got me."

One of the "changes" Howard wants, sources told ESPN.com's Marc Stein, is the signing of guard Chauncey Billups.

Should Billups clear waivers Monday at 6 p.m., after being released Friday by the New York Knicks through the amnesty clause in the league's new labor agreement, sources say Howard will lobby Billups to spurn offers from the Miami Heat and sign with the Magic instead to give them a steady veteran hand.

One source familiar with Howard's thinking also said that seeing Dirk Nowitzki finally win a championship last season, playing for the only team he's ever known in Dallas, has Howard rethinking whether he should force his way out of town or try to stay and deliver a championship to the city of Orlando in similar fashion.

Martins, who took over at CEO just last week after the surprising resignation of Bob Vander Weide, is making a strong public stance that the franchise believes it can keep Howard and convince him to extend his contract. Howard has the option to become a free agent next summer, which created the leverage to force a trade.

Part of the Magic's plan is to continue to make moves to add talent to the roster. On Monday they completed a four-year, $25 million contract with guard Jason Richardson and finished a sign-and-trade with the Boston Celtics to bring in Glen Davis in on a four-year, $26 million deal.

On Friday the Magic announced they would allow Howard to speak with the Lakers, New Jersey Nets and Dallas Mavericks about a trade.

A day later Howard announced he'd indeed asked to be traded. Then on Sunday night he followed up with an explanation that his relationship with Magic general manager Otis Smith had eroded, in part, because Smith had not acquired players Howard had suggested over the last several years.

Smith was not at the meeting Monday morning with Howard but Martins said he had expected the two to speak on Monday afternoon. Howard also expressed frustration that Smith hadn't spoken to him in a week, since he'd officially made his trade request.

During the team's media day Monday afternoon, Howard laughed and chatted with Martins and several other team officials and then smiled and joked his way through his news conference, a reversal in mood from the previous three days.

"As of right now, I have on a Magic uniform," Howard said, touching the logo on his chest. "I'm with nobody else."

Martins said that despite Howard's claim Sunday that none of his input has been taken into account by management, that the trade for Davis was one they did do.

"It's a conversation," Martins said. "It's not a be all, end all. And I do think that Dwight's input is important and we're gonna continue to solicit Dwight's input. But, the final decisions rest on Otis. Otis is the head of this basketball operation. And he is the only one that knows how all the pieces will fit together properly. And he can solicit input from anyone and he will solicit input.

"But at the end of the day, it's Otis' decision to make," he said.

A trade of forward Brandon Bass for Davis and guard Von Wafer was officially announced Monday afternoon, a few hours after both took pictures in their new Magic uniforms.

Davis, who played against Howard on the AAU circuit growing up and opposite him in the 2004 McDonald's All-American Game, said he understands the kind of passion Howard has in this situation.

"We've talked and I understand where he's coming from," Davis said.

Asked if he thinks he can talk Howard into staying, Davis was jokingly optimistic.

"Probably can," he said. "I'll probably have crumpets and tea tomorrow and hopefully talk things out and see what's up."

As far as what happens in the meantime, Magic coach Stan Van Gundy admitted that it's difficult to do some things on the court with the uncertainly around Howard. But he said his approach to the day to day won't change while it's being resolved.

"There's all kinds of things that can be distractions in this league," Van Gundy said. "There are always distractions and there's always somebody who's a little bit unhappy for different reasons. So this is nothing new. With every NBA team this year, I guarantee you nobody's got a team on the floor where all 12 or 13 guys are happy all the time and there are no distractions.

"There's always some distraction," he said. "And ours might just be a little bit bigger than some."

Linsanity in NY is in peril.

Sam Amick>INSIDE THE NBA

Knicks close to trade for Felton, which could make Lin a Rocket

LAS VEGAS -- The Jeremy Lin era in New York may be over.

Despite the fact that the Knicks have been widely expected to match Houston's three-year, $25.1 million offer sheet for the restricted free agent point guard, they are nearing a sign-and-trade with Portland for free agent point guard Raymond Felton that appears to be threatening that stance. Felton's agent, Tony Dutt, confirmed that Felton is close to landing a multiyear deal to return to the place where he had his best season in 2010-11.

Sources confirmed the Knicks would receive Felton and veteran center Kurt Thomas while the Blazers land center Dan Gadzuric and forward Jared Jeffries. There was conflicting information on Felton's deal with the Knicks, though, as numerous reports indicated he would be paid a combined $10 million over three years while a source with knowledge of the deal insisted to SI.com that it was a four-year deal worth approximately $18 million.

While it wasn't immediately known if the Knicks would match Lin's deal and add him in addition to Felton and recently signed Jason Kidd, the Rockets weren't ready to consider Lin theirs just yet on Saturday night in Las Vegas. The day had been bizarre enough as it was, with reports that Houston officials had been unable to hand-deliver the offer sheet to Knicks general manager Glen Grunwald at the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...elton-knicks-rockets/index.html#ixzz20fjvlvxs

The right move considering Lin had a balloon clause in the last year of his contract that would pay him $40M and put them way over the cap

I agree too. And that kind of a huge back loaded contract puts tremendous pressure on Lin to perform phenomenally each night as he did in NY. And he was getting $.8m that time with no contract beyond the season to speak of. Now that he has a fat contract, it remains to be seen how he delivers correspondingly.

I agree too. And that kind of a huge back loaded contract puts tremendous pressure on Lin to perform phenomenally each night as he did in NY. And he was getting $.8m that time with no contract beyond the season to speak of. Now that he has a fat contract, it remains to be seen how he delivers correspondingly.

Awful lot of money for someone with 25 games experience. As they say about FA. You better be sure they're the right fit because you're stuck with them for 4-5 years! Obviously the Knicks didn't feel 100% about that question.

Also Felton and Amare had worked well together on the pick and roll during Felton's last tenure with the team. Plus I think the Knicks were looking for someone who didn't turn the ball over, got it to and thought about Amare and Melo first.

Now that the Knicks have the monkey off its back, so to speak, they have time to focus and jell the team into a contender. And they have to start limiting opponents points. Lin's defense has yet to be proven. I mean if they play the Heat in the playoffs(assuming Lin is a Knick), who will Lin guard, Wade, Allen or Chalmers? Chandler's and Amare's interior defense can challenge the drives on Lebron the way Dirk and Tyson acted an second line of defense 2 years ago. Problem now, is Mellow gonna get tough? :D

He's looking tough in the pre-Olympic exhibition games.

I was pretty surprised at how he was banging bodies, crashing the boards and harassing ball handlers too. He was playing the 4 and Lebron the 5. This is a weird looking team on the floor but dang I've never seen a full court press like this. It looked like an extended 2-1-2 zone which totally clogged passing lanes. Joining them on the floor were Kobe, Westbrook and Iguodala.

Interesting read....

The Knicks didn’t match Jeremy Lin’s offer sheet because owner James Dolan felt ‘betrayed,’ ‘deceived,’ according to report..

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...s-dolan-betrayed-deceived-161820611--nba.html

Well, the guy is from Harvard, I'd expect him to want to make more money. :D He wont be as rich as Zuckerberg but it's not everyday that one gets to make 10x his salary after 25 games. :D

Anything can happen in the NBA. Ray Allen chose LESS money (half of his former team's offer) to play for the defending champs and a bitter rival. He just showed us that it's NOT all about the money.

Somehow I can't wait for the next season to start. And see Howard still in Orlando. :D

Last edited:
REPORT: HOWARD READY TO JOIN LAKERS?

HANG TIME HEADQUARTERS – Has persistence finally paid off for the Los Angeles Lakers?
If the rumblings prove correct, that could be the case. Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard, whose months-old trade request to the Brooklyn Nets, is apparently warming up to the idea of joining the Los Angeles Lakers, per a report from RealGM’s Jarrod N. Rudolph.......

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/07/19/report-howard-ready-to-join-lakers/

But on the other hand......

IS ORLANDO STILL AN OPTION FOR DWIGHT?

HANG TIME, Texas – Log me onto StubHub. Get me a ticket.
I want a front row seat at the Amway Center when Dwight Howard has to pull on that Magic jersey and take the floor in front of all those fans in Orlando that he’s left twisting in the wind for the past seven-plus months.
Give the Magic front office credit. No matter how many times they’ve been slapped in the face by their All-Star center, they keep going back for more.
Now, according to Alex Kennedy of Hoopsworld, general manager Rob Hennigan is going to make a coast-to-coast effort to put Humpty Dumpty back together again.
In recent days, the Magic have shifted their attention away from the ongoing trade talks and focused on persuading Howard to remain in Orlando. Hennigan and his staff will travel to Los Angeles later this week to meet face-to-face with Howard and deliver a presentation designed to persuade Howard to return to the Magic. Hennigan is determined to fix the strained relationship between the player and the organization, and he’s hopeful that Howard will resume his career in Orlando.
Hennigan asked Howard to drop his trade demand during a phone conversation two weeks ago, but the six-time All-Star reiterated his desire to be traded. Now, however, Howard has agreed to meet with the Magic and sources within the organization are optimistic that they can change his stance with this pitch.
It’s no secret that Howard has wanted to join the Brooklyn Nets for quite some time. Now, with the Nets out of the picture for at least six months, the Magic are hoping that Howard is open to a return rather than settling on another destination like Los Angeles, which Howard seemed hesitant to commit to until recently. Howard doesn’t have many options, which is one reason Orlando is hopeful he’ll be willing to return.
Over the next several days, the Magic are expected to hire a head coach and whoever they hire will likely be in attendance when Hennigan and his staff meet with Howard in Los Angeles. Jacque Vaughn is the frontrunner, but Michael Curry and Lindsey Hunter are also finalists for the job.
The soap opera in Orlando continues and the ending may be extremely anticlimactic if the two sides can work out their differences. While a lot has transpired in recent months, the Magic are hopeful that they can bring Howard back and put this drama behind them.
Could it really happen? Could Howard change his mind again?
Remember, he was supposedly out the door in March on the night of the trade deadline, then abruptly turned soft and signed away his right to opt out and become a free agent this season?
Would it really happen? Would the loyal fans of the Magic be willing to open their arms once more to embrace a Superman who has treated them like Kryptonite since last December?
Remember, they already saw Shaquille O’Neal walk out the door 16 years ago.
Should we be lining up for tickets on opening night? Or is this talk of a potential reunion just a waste of jet fuel?

REPORT: HOWARD READY TO JOIN LAKERS?

HANG TIME HEADQUARTERS – Has persistence finally paid off for the Los Angeles Lakers?
If the rumblings prove correct, that could be the case. Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard, whose months-old trade request to the Brooklyn Nets, is apparently warming up to the idea of joining the Los Angeles Lakers, per a report from RealGM’s Jarrod N. Rudolph.......

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/07/19/report-howard-ready-to-join-lakers/

Big 4 for the Lakers. That would make LAL instant favorites for the West crown and a most potent deterrent against the dynasty plans of Lebron. :D

While Howard is reportedly willing to sign an extension in LA, the question will be is Bynum willing to sign an extension in Cleveland? Why he would do that raises even more questions.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu