New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

From Howard's own tweet...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/dwight-howard-tweets-hell-sign-075235997--nba.html

Howard will join Moses Malone, Hakeem, and Yao Ming as the main inside man for the Rockets. Maybe the Houston will bring out the best out of him finally.

Hope so for his sake and legacy ... So far it has been a lot of potential but largely unfulfilled. D12 doesn't seem to be as driven as the greatst...

On a different note, focus seems to be shiftig from OKC to Houston... for OKC, not signing Harden is looking worse and worse ...

Courtesy of Jodie Meeks:

howardgirl_original.jpg

On a different note, focus seems to be shiftig from OKC to Houston... for OKC, not signing Harden is looking worse and worse ...

Tough to see these successful player/team combo go after a great seasons, and after a championship for some even - like Posey and Perkins for Boston, Ariza for LAL, Chandler and Barea for Dallas. And one has to wonder how Miami has preserved its core and even ADDED role players like Battier and Allen after their first year loss to Dallas. Does Riley really hold that kind of magic as architect of championship teams?

Pacers add Chris Copeland. The kind of player that Larry Bird loves. Adding depth for Game 7 next year. :D 8ppg last season is not bad.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/7/7/4501984/2013-nba-free-agents-news-rumors

Los Angeles Clippers keep adding depth

The Los Angeles Clippers have had a huge summer and are now rounding out their roster. They've agreed to a deal with big man Ryan Hollins, and could also look to add free agent Antawn Jamison to their forward depth. Jamison is a versatile offensive player who can move well off-ball while also spreading the floor.

This comes after adding point guard Darren Collison for only a portion of their mid-level exception.

The Clippers have done well to add depth to their roster since retaining Chris Paul, and Doc Rivers will have plenty of tools to experiment with in his lineups.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/7/7/4501984/2013-nba-free-agents-news-rumors

Los Angeles Clippers keep adding depth

The Los Angeles Clippers have had a huge summer and are now rounding out their roster. They've agreed to a deal with big man Ryan Hollins, and could also look to add free agent Antawn Jamison to their forward depth. Jamison is a versatile offensive player who can move well off-ball while also spreading the floor.

This comes after adding point guard Darren Collison for only a portion of their mid-level exception.

The Clippers have done well to add depth to their roster since retaining Chris Paul, and Doc Rivers will have plenty of tools to experiment with in his lineups.

Me thinks that was the Jamison of ten years ago. He has zero lateral mobility left now.

Clippers need one or two more big men but I don't think Jamison is the answer. Maybe they are trying to bluff Lamar Odom into signing a vet's minimum deal - not that Odom's a personal favorite but better than Jamison. I read that the Lakers have some interest in Odom, too.

Clippers need one or two more big men but I don't think Jamison is the answer. Maybe they are trying to bluff Lamar Odom into signing a vet's minimum deal - not that Odom's a personal favorite but better than Jamison. I read that the Lakers have some interest in Odom, too.

It's just my thinking, I would have really felt bullish had KG and Pierce joined the Clippers. They combined for 31 ppg total last season. When it comes down to crunch time, clutch shots and short jumpers, these 2 have been there. And that is what the Clippers need. Anyway, it's all fantasy now because they lost the bluff match with Stern. They should have kept it quiet first. Ship Doc. Then after 3 weeks, work on the 2 players' trade. :D

You are correct, Phil. The leak was on the Clippers side, too. They fired a 20 year PR staff member during the negotiations.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....n-nba-free-agency/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Winners and losers to this point in NBA free agency

Brett Pollakoff

Jul 7, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
16 Comments
Los Angeles Clippers Introduce Chris Paul Getty Images

Teams began entering into agreements with free agent players shortly after midnight Eastern on July 1, but due to a league-imposed moratorium on activity, no deals can be officially signed until July 10.

We’re almost there, and plenty of the top names available have indeed been swooped up by teams looking to make a splash next season. While there are still some major impact players left on the market, let’s take a look on some of the winners and losers to this point in the free agent sweepstakes.

WINNER: Houston Rockets. Dwight Howard chose Houston as the place he’ll sign for the next four seasons, even though his deal contains an opt-out after three that could either see him walk, or sign an extension to remain there into the twilight of his career. In addition to Howard, the team is locking up shooters like Francisco Garcia and guys that can contribute meaningful minutes off the bench if called upon like Omri Casspi.

It remains to be seen if Houston is done making moves, or if they’ll look to do something with the contracts of Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik. But for now, pairing Howard with James Harden is a huge win for the Rockets organization.

ALSO A WINNER: The Lakers. It’s true that the Lakers wanted Howard to stay in Los Angeles, and were willing to see their payroll exceed $90 million next season (even before luxury tax penalties, which would have been massive) to make that happen. A max contract for five years was what the Lakers happily would have offered for Howard’s services, but now that he’s gone, the reality that he was never a match for the franchise can finally be allowed to sink in.

Howard didn’t enjoy playing with Kobe Bryant, felt marginalized in Mike D’Antoni’s system, and never embraced the pressure of playing for a franchise where championships were not only expected, but demanded. Shaquille O’Neal was right about Howard to a certain extent, and even if he had chosen to stay with the Lakers, trouble would have been brewing in that relationship very soon, and it would have caused more harm than good for both sides.

The Lakers have nothing to do in free agency but wait a season until they have an almost completely clean slate from a salary cap perspective, but it seems as though they dodged a bullet where Howard was concerned, despite the organization’s best efforts to sign him.

WINNER: The Clippers. There was no question that Chris Paul would stay in the big market of Los Angeles and take all of that guaranteed money that staying with his current team would provide. But the Clippers tried their best to screw things up by having ownership publicly hang Paul out to dry where Vinny Del Negro was concerned, and Paul wasn’t at all happy with how that whole saga played out.

It’s amazing, however, what a few shrewd moves can do to quickly change those perceptions.

The Clippers managed to get Doc Rivers to leave the Celtics to become their head coach, before going out and solidifying the roster in hopes of making a deeper postseason run next year. L.A. retained Matt Barnes, added Jared Dudley and J.J. Redick in the trade that sent Bledsoe out of town before his salary demands became too unmanageable, and then replaced Bledsoe with a similar but more reasonably priced version of a backup for Paul in Darren Collison.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....n-nba-free-agency/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Winners and losers to this point in NBA free agency

Brett Pollakoff

Jul 7, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
16 Comments
Los Angeles Clippers Introduce Chris Paul Getty Images

Teams began entering into agreements with free agent players shortly after midnight Eastern on July 1, but due to a league-imposed moratorium on activity, no deals can be officially signed until July 10.

We’re almost there, and plenty of the top names available have indeed been swooped up by teams looking to make a splash next season. While there are still some major impact players left on the market, let’s take a look on some of the winners and losers to this point in the free agent sweepstakes.

WINNER: Houston Rockets. Dwight Howard chose Houston as the place he’ll sign for the next four seasons, even though his deal contains an opt-out after three that could either see him walk, or sign an extension to remain there into the twilight of his career. In addition to Howard, the team is locking up shooters like Francisco Garcia and guys that can contribute meaningful minutes off the bench if called upon like Omri Casspi.

It remains to be seen if Houston is done making moves, or if they’ll look to do something with the contracts of Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik. But for now, pairing Howard with James Harden is a huge win for the Rockets organization.

ALSO A WINNER: The Lakers. It’s true that the Lakers wanted Howard to stay in Los Angeles, and were willing to see their payroll exceed $90 million next season (even before luxury tax penalties, which would have been massive) to make that happen. A max contract for five years was what the Lakers happily would have offered for Howard’s services, but now that he’s gone, the reality that he was never a match for the franchise can finally be allowed to sink in.

Howard didn’t enjoy playing with Kobe Bryant, felt marginalized in Mike D’Antoni’s system, and never embraced the pressure of playing for a franchise where championships were not only expected, but demanded. Shaquille O’Neal was right about Howard to a certain extent, and even if he had chosen to stay with the Lakers, trouble would have been brewing in that relationship very soon, and it would have caused more harm than good for both sides.

The Lakers have nothing to do in free agency but wait a season until they have an almost completely clean slate from a salary cap perspective, but it seems as though they dodged a bullet where Howard was concerned, despite the organization’s best efforts to sign him.

WINNER: The Clippers. There was no question that Chris Paul would stay in the big market of Los Angeles and take all of that guaranteed money that staying with his current team would provide. But the Clippers tried their best to screw things up by having ownership publicly hang Paul out to dry where Vinny Del Negro was concerned, and Paul wasn’t at all happy with how that whole saga played out.

It’s amazing, however, what a few shrewd moves can do to quickly change those perceptions.

The Clippers managed to get Doc Rivers to leave the Celtics to become their head coach, before going out and solidifying the roster in hopes of making a deeper postseason run next year. L.A. retained Matt Barnes, added Jared Dudley and J.J. Redick in the trade that sent Bledsoe out of town before his salary demands became too unmanageable, and then replaced Bledsoe with a similar but more reasonably priced version of a backup for Paul in Darren Collison.

Maybe Howard thought he was better than he actually was? He wasn't the second coming of Shaq.

Maybe Howard thought he was better than he actually was? He wasn't the second coming of Shaq.

I thought I read somewhere that he wanted the Rockets to add a 3rd big name to get his own Big 3. :D

Asik wants out so maybe in time he can be traded for another 'star'.

Lakers Moving on from Dwight Howard: 10 Silver Linings to the Offseason Debacle

By Michael C. Jones | Yahoo!

interesting spin on things

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/lakers-moving-dwight-howard-10-silver-linings-offseason-151000002.html

steve, overall, i would say lakers are better off without dwight myself. but this puts la almost in the same boat as boston, boston's boat is being rebuilt now, and i can see la doing the same pretty soon.

the word 'lakers hater' has all too quickly disappeared in the last 2 years in the mind of this celtics lover. one only needs a bigger villain to top a villain. :D and gosh, we were 28 seconds away from toppling that villain a few weeks ago, makes the next season all too long to wait for.

My feelings all along...

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9...ves-paul-pierce-kevin-garnett-got-plenty-left

Bird: Pierce, Garnett have 'got plenty left'

Larry Bird understands why the Boston Celtics chose to trade away Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett, essentially ending one of the most successful eras in franchise history.

But Bird believes that the aging stars will be more than productive with the Brooklyn Nets.

"I think they've both been pretty healthy throughout their careers," Bird said Monday while speaking to reporters following the Indiana Pacers' Orlando Summer League game. "They haven't had the major, major injuries that I had.

"I think they got plenty left. The way they will be coached and the bench that they have. Yeah -- they'll pick their spots, but when the time comes, they'll be there."

Pierce and Garnett were dealt to Brooklyn in a blockbuster trade last month, signalling Boston's intention to rebuild with younger players.

Bird, one of the greatest players in Celtics history, currently serves as the Pacers' president of basketball operations. The Hall of Famer acknowledged that it will be difficult to see Pierce, the second-leading scorer in Celtics franchise history, finish his career somewhere other than Boston.

"I would have loved to see it," Bird said. "I got a lot of respect for Paul and what he has accomplished. But who says he's not going to play another four years? It's a tough situation."

Pierce, 35, averaged 18.6 points per game this past season and trails only John Havlicek on the Celtics' all-time scoring list.

"[Pierce] is one of the better ones to ever come through there," Bird said. "He really is."

But Bird also claimed that he understood why Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge traded Pierce and Garnett.

"Believe me, Danny Ainge knows what he's doing," Bird said. "He won a championship. I never doubt Danny Ainge. ... Danny does a good job. You know, you do get older. You can't beat Father Time, and I'm sure things will work out."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu