New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

Interesting, and are the comments below the article. Looks like 'Bought And Not Built Part II'. :D

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--n...ses-suspicions-from-nba-rivals-180604173.html

Adrian Wojnarowski

Yahoo! Expert
Brooklyn Nets' deal with Andrei Kirilenko raises suspicions from NBA rivals

Excerpts:

"Only this time, the rest of the NBA believes the Nets have gone too far, delivering the league into an unfiltered rage. The signing of Russian free agent Andrei Kirilenko – a $10 million-a-year player last season – for Brooklyn's $3.1 mini-midlevel exception has transformed rival owners and front office executives into an angry mob of disbelievers.

The insinuations are unmistakable: Around the NBA, there are calls for the commissioner's office to investigate the possibilities of side deals and Russian rubles ruling the day – for now, unfounded charges based on circumstance and appearances.

Within the NBA, there had long been those promising that deals would start popping up involving Prokhorov that made no fiscal sense, theorizing that high-end players could take less within the constraints of the salary cap and still make up the difference in clandestine pacts."

Report: Lakers close to hiring Kurt Rambis as assistant coach

By Kurt Helin

Well, this is just going to fuel more Phil Jackson talk in Los Angeles…

The Lakers may be bringing back former Jackson lead assistant Kurt Rambis as an assistant coach on Mike D’Antoni’s staff, reports Ramona Shelburne at ESPNLosAngeles.com.

The Los Angeles Lakers are “close” to hiring Kurt Rambis for their coaching staff, a source with knowledge of the situation said Tuesday…

Rambis has been seen in Las Vegas, spending time watching summer league games alongside Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni and his brother, Dan.

Rambis has been an ESPN television analyst since he was let go as coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves. He went to Minnesota after being Jackson’s lead assistant for years.

Rambis would likely be a solid addition to the coaching staff and someone that could work with D’Antoni (even though he’s seemed a fan of D’Antoni’s preferred style). He certainly knows the Lakers organization.

But Rambis’ ties to Jackson will keep the hope that PJ will come back to coach and save the franchise alive among fans.

Lakers sign free-agent guard Farmar

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. (AP) -- The Los Angeles Lakers have signed free agent guard Jordan Farmar, who returns to the team that drafted him in 2006 and that he helped win back-to-back NBA titles.

No long term contracts as 2014 free agency looms large as they only have Nash and Sacre under contract for 2014

Interesting, and are the comments below the article. Looks like 'Bought And Not Built Part II'. :D

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--n...ses-suspicions-from-nba-rivals-180604173.html

Adrian Wojnarowski

Yahoo! Expert
Brooklyn Nets' deal with Andrei Kirilenko raises suspicions from NBA rivals

Excerpts:

"Only this time, the rest of the NBA believes the Nets have gone too far, delivering the league into an unfiltered rage. The signing of Russian free agent Andrei Kirilenko – a $10 million-a-year player last season – for Brooklyn's $3.1 mini-midlevel exception has transformed rival owners and front office executives into an angry mob of disbelievers.

The insinuations are unmistakable: Around the NBA, there are calls for the commissioner's office to investigate the possibilities of side deals and Russian rubles ruling the day – for now, unfounded charges based on circumstance and appearances.

Within the NBA, there had long been those promising that deals would start popping up involving Prokhorov that made no fiscal sense, theorizing that high-end players could take less within the constraints of the salary cap and still make up the difference in clandestine pacts."

I think this sort of move would be considered suspicious either way. He won't be the first owner suspected of under the table dealings and he wont be the last. He is an eager Russian, with tons of money to throw around, who wants to win a title. Judging by what he's done so far, I don't think he is going to let a salary cap stop him from getting a championship. Although I don't think a few aging Boston players and some free agent signings will but them over the edge, I definitely think they have improved as a team. Will they be able to beat the Bulls with a healthy Derrick Rose? A hungry Pacers team with Granger back? Or even Melo and the Knicks? that remains to be seen.

I think this sort of move would be considered suspicious either way. He won't be the first owner suspected of under the table dealings and he wont be the last. He is an eager Russian, with tons of money to throw around, who wants to win a title. Judging by what he's done so far, I don't think he is going to let a salary cap stop him from getting a championship. Although I don't think a few aging Boston players and some free agent signings will but them over the edge, I definitely think they have improved as a team. Will they be able to beat the Bulls with a healthy Derrick Rose? A hungry Pacers team with Granger back? Or even Melo and the Knicks? that remains to be seen.

My sentiments ..exactly!

How 'bout that Net's press conference today introducing Terry, Garnett and Pierce? :)

How 'bout that Net's press conference today introducing Terry, Garnett and Pierce? :)

Saw the parts of the press con on video and it was 'weird' for me to watch them as Nets for the first time. But I think they're 'happy' to play in Brooklyn and that's quite important from what we saw with Howard and LAL last season. How they jell with the rest would be really interesting. I have believed all along that at this points of their careers, these aged players can deliver if their minutes are managed well leading to the last few minutes of a close game where their experience will show up. It is said that the Nets now have a deep bench too, and it's up to Kidd to figure out this one. He is said to have some 'secret book' about key moves of coaches. :D

Last edited:
Saw the parts of the press con on video and it was 'weird' for me to watch them as Nets for the first time. But I think they're 'happy' to play in Brooklyn and that's quite important from what we saw with Howard and LAL last season. How they jell with the rest would be really interesting. I have believed all along that at this points of their careers, these aged players can deliver if their minutes are managed well leading to the last few minutes of a close game where their experience will show up. It is said that the Nets now have a deep bench too, and it's up to Kidd to figure out this one. He is said to have some 'secret book' about key moves of coaches. :D

Terry certainly seemed excited to play for Kidd and take on the 6th man role off the bench.

Terry certainly seemed excited to play for Kidd and take on the 6th man role off the bench.

yes. and kidd and terry were on the same mavs teams that took the title. old man kidd was doing damage with his 3s in that finals with the heat. and they had another semi old man in shawn marion then, which can be said the same as jason terry. kidd was saying that doc's system didn't give enough touches to terry, let's see.

i remembered kidd saying after the finals that he felt really good about his body and conditioning, and that is they key, imo. duncan did a lot too to hone his conditioning the past years. needless to say, rapport and chemistry is so vital in a team's success, and i can see that too in the pacers, bulls among others. i will be a converted nets fan next season - seeing 3 former celts in nets uniform and i can't help but root for them. i was imagining if doc went there too. :D

NBA reimburses Thunder millions for Kevin Durant's extension

By Evan Dunlap SB Nation

The new CBA retroactively increased the value of Durant's contract extension, which he signed more than a year before the owners ratified the CBA.

The NBA's Board of Governors voted Thursday to reimburse the Oklahoma City Thunder "several million" dollars for an issue regarding the contract of All-Star forward Kevin Durant, Zach Lowe of Grantland reports.

Durant signed a five-year, maximum-value extension in the summer of 2010, before the ratification of the newest Collective Bargaining Agreement in 2011. The new CBA sets guidelines for what Lowe calls "super-max" deals. According to Larry Coon's NBA salary cap FAQ, players can qualify for a super-max contract -- which pays them 30 percent of the salary cap -- if they meet any of the following criteria:

Named to the All-NBA First, Second or Third team at least twice
Voted as a starter in the All-Star game at least twice
Named the NBA Most Valuable Player at least once
Because Durant met those criteria when he signed the contract, the ratification of the new CBA put Oklahoma City on the hook for more money than it was anticipating; the Thunder could not have known the provisions of the new CBA when they inked Durant to his extension.

Thursday's vote, which Lowe says was not unanimous, reimburses the Thunder the difference between what they thought they would owe Durant and what they actually will owe him, under the terms of the CBA. This difference, according to Royce Young of CBS Sports, is "roughly $15 million."

At this point, it's unclear if the Thunder will also have Durant's extra salary removed from their cap space, but at the very least the development gives OKC some extra money to play around should ownership be willing to pay the luxury tax.

NBA reimburses Thunder millions for Kevin Durant's extension

By Evan Dunlap SB Nation

The new CBA retroactively increased the value of Durant's contract extension, which he signed more than a year before the owners ratified the CBA.

The NBA's Board of Governors voted Thursday to reimburse the Oklahoma City Thunder "several million" dollars for an issue regarding the contract of All-Star forward Kevin Durant, Zach Lowe of Grantland reports.

Durant signed a five-year, maximum-value extension in the summer of 2010, before the ratification of the newest Collective Bargaining Agreement in 2011. The new CBA sets guidelines for what Lowe calls "super-max" deals. According to Larry Coon's NBA salary cap FAQ, players can qualify for a super-max contract -- which pays them 30 percent of the salary cap -- if they meet any of the following criteria:

Named to the All-NBA First, Second or Third team at least twice
Voted as a starter in the All-Star game at least twice
Named the NBA Most Valuable Player at least once
Because Durant met those criteria when he signed the contract, the ratification of the new CBA put Oklahoma City on the hook for more money than it was anticipating; the Thunder could not have known the provisions of the new CBA when they inked Durant to his extension.

Thursday's vote, which Lowe says was not unanimous, reimburses the Thunder the difference between what they thought they would owe Durant and what they actually will owe him, under the terms of the CBA. This difference, according to Royce Young of CBS Sports, is "roughly $15 million."

At this point, it's unclear if the Thunder will also have Durant's extra salary removed from their cap space, but at the very least the development gives OKC some extra money to play around should ownership be willing to pay the luxury tax.

all these 'caps' and 'max conracts' get confusing to me. the numbers and conditions of terms are like mind boggling to me. like i couldn't understand why the lakers, with kobe's, gasol's and nash's salaries near the nba salary cap in themselves, still was in running for a max contract of $117m for dwight howard while many many other teams did not have 'cap space' and hence were not in a position to offer d12 anything close.

Last edited:
all these 'caps' and 'max conracts' get confusing to me. the numbers and conditions of terms are like mind boggling to me. like i couldn't understand why the lakers, with kobe's, gasol's and nash's salaries near the nba salary cap in themselves, still was in running for a max contract of $117m for dwight howard while many many other teams did not have 'cap space' and hence were in in a position to offer d12 anything close.

Makes my head explode.

Plan C = Rebuild. Move over Boston, is there an extra seat in your rebuilding boat? :D

What Will the Lakers Do If LeBron James or Carmelo Anthony Won't Sign in 2014?
Yahoo! Contributor Network
By Michael C. Jones | Yahoo! Contributor Network – 7 hours ago

COMMENTARY | The proudest franchise and fan base in the NBA is as nervous as they've ever been about what the future holds for what was once the gold standard in professional sports.

There many big questions that surround the Purple and Gold, and no one that matters seems to have any tangible answers or solutions. The popular crutch that folks are hanging onto is not sturdy by any stretch -- the fact that the Lakers will somehow be contenders to sign either LeBron James or Carmelo Anthony after next season in the summer of 2014.

As laughable as that sounds, it's real talk in Los Angeles. The Lakers will pursue both marquee players in hopes of revitalizing their troubled franchise, one that's used to competing for titles every year.

Of course they're going to pursue them. But their chances of signing either are close to zero. That should be obvious.

But the Lakers will take on that seemingly futile pursuit anyway. They'll do so with the knowledge that Dwight Howard, this year's biggest free agent, left them behind when they had a distinct financial advantage to the tune of over $30 million guaranteed. No matter how anyone spins it, that's an indictment on how dismal things are in Laker-land.

The obvious questions remains: What makes anyone think that free agents will flock to LA when the playing field is level after Howard ditched the Lakers when they could pay him more than anyone? LeBron likes Miami, and if that's hard to believe, check out his Twitter or Vine feeds. 'Melo calls New York City his hometown. If they can be superstars in places they actually like, why would they go join an aging Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash when they can stay home and keep adding pieces around them?

It's time to re-think the strategy of chasing top talent.

What is 'Plan C'?

Lakers fans won't want to hear this, but if Howard was Plan A and James and Anthony are Plan B, then Plan C looks like it's going to happen. Fans won't like Plan C. It involves rebuilding organically via the draft and mid-level talent, not relying on the fact that prestige, location, history and banners will cause today's superstars to bow down to the golden armor.

Luol Deng, Danny Granger, Dirk Nowitzki and Andrew Bogut will be unrestricted free agents next year. Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and Amar'e Stoudemire have early termination options with their current squads and could be available. Those are more realistic options for the Lakers. That means they aren't going to be vaulted into title contention by signing one or two of them, but will need to do more.

All the cap space everyone raves about doesn't mean anything if the best players won't come in droves like they used to. David Stern and his staff have succeeded in bringing the Lakers back down to earth after dominating offseasons for so long with the 2011 Collective Bargaining Agreement and the blocked Chris Paul trade. Now, LA is as close to the field as they've ever been.

As much as everyone with Lakers allegiance hates to admit it, Howard spurning them is a bad look and hurt their reputation with other big names.

A cloudy future with a glimmer of hope

The Lakers aren't the Lakers -- but they're still the Lakers. Some very good players will come to LA and appreciate what those unique colors mean in terms of history, but they won't be marquee game-changers who come just for the sake of building upon a legacy.

The Lakers are going to have to take a page from the hated Boston Celtics and do things the right (and painfully slow) way with a measured approach to building a contender. That means that they're going to have to embrace the inevitable and explore the dreaded 'R' word.

A rebuild is in order in Los Angeles, and the sooner they admit it, the quicker the Lakers can get back to competing for an NBA title. Until then, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

For more on the Lakers and the NBA , catch up with this author on Twitter @MikeJonesTweets.

Michael C. Jones covers the Los Angeles Lakers and the NBA as a Southern California-based sports journalist and editor. He contributes to SB Nation in addition to Yahoo! Sports and is the Managing Editor and Founder of Sports Out West.

Plan D

Buy Wiggins from whoever drafts him in 2014

Plan C = Rebuild. Move over Boston, is there an extra seat in your rebuilding boat? :D

What Will the Lakers Do If LeBron James or Carmelo Anthony Won't Sign in 2014?
Yahoo! Contributor Network
By Michael C. Jones | Yahoo! Contributor Network – 7 hours ago

COMMENTARY | The proudest franchise and fan base in the NBA is as nervous as they've ever been about what the future holds for what was once the gold standard in professional sports.

There many big questions that surround the Purple and Gold, and no one that matters seems to have any tangible answers or solutions. The popular crutch that folks are hanging onto is not sturdy by any stretch -- the fact that the Lakers will somehow be contenders to sign either LeBron James or Carmelo Anthony after next season in the summer of 2014.

As laughable as that sounds, it's real talk in Los Angeles. The Lakers will pursue both marquee players in hopes of revitalizing their troubled franchise, one that's used to competing for titles every year.

Of course they're going to pursue them. But their chances of signing either are close to zero. That should be obvious.

But the Lakers will take on that seemingly futile pursuit anyway. They'll do so with the knowledge that Dwight Howard, this year's biggest free agent, left them behind when they had a distinct financial advantage to the tune of over $30 million guaranteed. No matter how anyone spins it, that's an indictment on how dismal things are in Laker-land.

The obvious questions remains: What makes anyone think that free agents will flock to LA when the playing field is level after Howard ditched the Lakers when they could pay him more than anyone? LeBron likes Miami, and if that's hard to believe, check out his Twitter or Vine feeds. 'Melo calls New York City his hometown. If they can be superstars in places they actually like, why would they go join an aging Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash when they can stay home and keep adding pieces around them?

It's time to re-think the strategy of chasing top talent.

What is 'Plan C'?

Lakers fans won't want to hear this, but if Howard was Plan A and James and Anthony are Plan B, then Plan C looks like it's going to happen. Fans won't like Plan C. It involves rebuilding organically via the draft and mid-level talent, not relying on the fact that prestige, location, history and banners will cause today's superstars to bow down to the golden armor.

Luol Deng, Danny Granger, Dirk Nowitzki and Andrew Bogut will be unrestricted free agents next year. Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and Amar'e Stoudemire have early termination options with their current squads and could be available. Those are more realistic options for the Lakers. That means they aren't going to be vaulted into title contention by signing one or two of them, but will need to do more.

All the cap space everyone raves about doesn't mean anything if the best players won't come in droves like they used to. David Stern and his staff have succeeded in bringing the Lakers back down to earth after dominating offseasons for so long with the 2011 Collective Bargaining Agreement and the blocked Chris Paul trade. Now, LA is as close to the field as they've ever been.

As much as everyone with Lakers allegiance hates to admit it, Howard spurning them is a bad look and hurt their reputation with other big names.

A cloudy future with a glimmer of hope

The Lakers aren't the Lakers -- but they're still the Lakers. Some very good players will come to LA and appreciate what those unique colors mean in terms of history, but they won't be marquee game-changers who come just for the sake of building upon a legacy.

The Lakers are going to have to take a page from the hated Boston Celtics and do things the right (and painfully slow) way with a measured approach to building a contender. That means that they're going to have to embrace the inevitable and explore the dreaded 'R' word.

A rebuild is in order in Los Angeles, and the sooner they admit it, the quicker the Lakers can get back to competing for an NBA title. Until then, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

For more on the Lakers and the NBA , catch up with this author on Twitter @MikeJonesTweets.

Michael C. Jones covers the Los Angeles Lakers and the NBA as a Southern California-based sports journalist and editor. He contributes to SB Nation in addition to Yahoo! Sports and is the Managing Editor and Founder of Sports Out West.

The Lakers gotta give their fans some reason to pay for their tickets given the coming season.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu