New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

You know what really bugs me about the player's union? The super stars will still make millions playing overseas as well as their continuing endorsement deals, the role players will get zip. Where's the unity there? The other thing is, let's say they can't come to terms this year, the world isn't going to change by next year. Next year the issues will be exactly the same. If both sides will buckle next season, why the heck not do it now?

You know what really bugs me about the player's union? The super stars will still make millions playing overseas as well as their continuing endorsement deals, the role players will get zip. Where's the unity there? The other thing is, let's say they can't come to terms this year, the world isn't going to change by next year. Next year the issues will be exactly the same. If both sides will buckle next season, why the heck not do it now?

Common logic unfortunately is overshadowed by big $$$

Ain't that the truth!

That applies to both posts.

Exactly right, Jack. And what about the top draft picks? All dressed up and nowhere to go. A roaring engine stuck at neutral. And my thinking is they're not part of the union even till they play. But they get zip too. And what if the world economy gets WORSE next year due to the Euro/Greek crisis? The owners will be offering probably 37% of profit sharing instead of their present 47%, way down from the 57% they got the last season and past CBA covered years. One thing my dad had always harped about when we were management vs the labor unions, he always lamented that why is there profit sharing when companies get profits, but when companies suffer a net loss, there is no loss sharing on the workers side? Well, my guess that the other camp must have assumed all companies have profits all the time. And, 22 of 30 NBA teams were losing money last season, according to Stern. I assume these teams were borrowing money to pay the players' salaries, and not from profits, as there were no profits to speak of in a team that is losing money during the season.

Both sides also need to consider that the longer this wears on, the league may lose loyal fan base and thus less revenue.

Very true, Steve. But a fan is always a fan. For me, if they suspend play for even 2 years, I probably will still be a fan come the 3rd year if they decide to play then, but, the fun and intensity will not be the same. The momentum and excitement factor will wane a bit, but it's hard to imagine I'd walked away from the sport. Heck, I've walked away from tennis and boxing because my idea of great athletes in the game like Borg, Connors, Evert, Ali, Leonard, Hearns and Hagler had disappeared, but it's a good thing the NBA still have the likes of Shaq, Kobe, Wade, Dirk, James et al to sustain the level of excitement in the sport in this era.

Well preseason cancellations have begun...........

NBA calls off 43 preseason games, postpones training camps

Posted Sep 23 2011 12:45PM - Updated Sep 23 2011 6:53PM
NEW YORK (AP) -- The lockout has started doing real damage to the NBA's calendar.

Players won't report at the usual time. The preseason won't start as scheduled.
And more cancellations could be necessary without a new labor deal soon.
Out of time to keep everything intact, the NBA postponed training camps indefinitely and canceled 43 preseason games Friday because it has not reached an agreement with players.
All games from Oct. 9-15 are off, the league said. Camps were expected to open Oct. 3.
"We have regretfully reached the point on the calendar where we are not able to open training camps on time and need to cancel the first week of preseason games," Deputy Commissioner Adam Silver said in a statement. "We will make further decisions as warranted."
The players' association did not comment.
NBA.com's schedule page, which has a banner across the top listing the number of games on each day, was changed Friday morning to read "0 Games" for each date until Oct. 16, when there are four games.
Those could be in jeopardy, too, without an agreement by the end of this month or very early October. The league scrapped the remainder of its preseason schedule on Oct. 6 in 1998, when the regular season was reduced to 50 games.
That remains the only time the NBA has lost games to a work stoppage.
The cancellations were inevitable after Thursday's meeting between owners and players ended without a collective bargaining agreement. Both sides still hope the entire regular season, scheduled to begin Nov. 1, can be saved.
The league locked out the players on July 1 after the expiration of the old labor agreement. Owners and players still haven't agreed on how to divide revenues - players were guaranteed 57 percent under the previous deal - or the structure of the salary cap.
The next talks aren't scheduled, but both sides said Thursday they hope to meet again next week - though the window could be limited because of the Jewish holiday and a union meeting Tuesday in Miami. They probably need a deal by the middle of October to avoid canceling real games.
Asked Thursday if he thought things were far enough along to still believe that was possible, Commissioner David Stern said: "I don't have any response to that. I just don't. I don't know the answer."
According to NBA policy, ticket holders for canceled games will be refunded the cost of the ticket plus 1 percent interest.
The NBA had long prepared for a shortened or canceled preseason, declining to schedule exhibition games overseas for the first time since 2005 - also when a labor pact was set to expire.
Still, the hope had been to find a way to negotiate a deal in time that would allow the ball to be tipped as scheduled in Detroit and Orlando on Oct. 9, the first of five games that night. Realistic chances of that passed in recent days, given the expectation of about two weeks from a deal in principle to a completed agreement.

It's not looking good when Kobe signs a contract to play in Italy......

Report: Bryant agrees to $3M, 10-game deal to play in Italy

Posted Sep 30 2011 6:28AM
ROME (AP) -- Italian club Virtus Bologna said it has reached a verbal agreement with Kobe Bryant for the Los Angeles Lakers star to play in Italy during the NBA lockout.

"We have reached an economic deal," Virtus president Claudio Sabatini told a local radio station. "There's still some things to arrange but at this point I'm very optimistic. I would say it's 95 percent done."
A person with knowledge of the negotiations told The Associated Press on Friday that the sides have settled on a $3 million contract for the opening 40 days of the Italian league season. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal has still not been signed.
Bryant, who spent much of his childhood in Italy, was in the country for sponsor appearances over the past two days but was flying back to the U.S. for labor talks with the NBA on Friday.
Bryant is expected to get a work visa and return to Italy next week.
"Kobe should be in Bologna by Wednesday or Thursday with his visa in hand for medical visits and then we can deposit the contract with the league," Sabatini said. "I want to make clear that right now there are still no signatures. We've got to write the contract, which will then be read over and over again."
Virtus had been due to open the season Oct. 9 against Roma, but schedules now need to be reworked after Venezia was added to the league as a 17th team.
The deal, which would allow Bryant to return to the Lakers immediately if the lockout ends, should last about 10 games.
Sabatini wants to create a special schedule that assigns Bryant's games to Italy's biggest arenas.
"This is an important investment and a unique chance for the city of Bologna and all of Italian basketball," Sabatini said. "I'm hoping everyone wants to collaborate."
The 33-year-old Bryant has three years and $83.5 million left on his contract with the Lakers.
Between the ages of six and 13, Bryant lived in Italy when his father Joe Bryant played with Rieti, Reggio Calabria, Pistoia and Reggiana from 1984-91. The elder Bryant also once owned a small part of Olimpia Milano. He now coaches the Los Angeles Sparks in the WNBA.
The younger Bryant still speaks Italian fairly well, and discussed his memories of his time in the country during an interview with the Gazzetta dello Sport two days ago.
"Italy is my home. It's where my dream of playing in the NBA started. This is where I learned the fundamentals, learned to shoot, to pass and to (move) without the ball," Bryant told the Italian newspaper. "All things that when I came back to America the players my age didn't know how to do because they were only thinking about jumping and dunking."
Bryant added that playing in Italy "would be a dream for me."
Bryant has been bothered in recent seasons by an arthritic joint in his right knee, which has required several minor operations. He sat out a majority of the Lakers' practices last season and saw his scoring, shooting percentage and minutes decrease in his 15th NBA season.
Former USC guard Daniel Hackett, a dual citizen who plays for Pesaro in Italy, said he would give Bryant a hostile reception if he faced the former NBA MVP.
"The only way to stop a player that good is with a hard foul and he knows that," Hackett said. "I've got five fouls to commit and they're going to be the hardest five fouls I've ever committed."
Hackett also criticized speculation that Bologna will ask opposing clubs hosting Bryant's away games to chip in a portion of ticket sales to help pay Bryant's salary.
"I really hope Kobe doesn't lower himself to this level for economic and commercial motives," Hackett said, according to the Gazzetta. "To me, it would be a big disappointment to see him here under these circumstances, and a loss of respect for a player who is too big to dirty his hands in this league."
Bologna president Sabatini replied, "Fortunately not all Italian players think like Hackett."
Turkish club Besiktas and at least one team in China had also expressed interest in Bryant, who has won five NBA championships and been an All-Star 13 times.
Bologna also recently approached Spurs swingman Manu Ginobili, who played with the club before joining San Antonio in 2002. Denver Nuggets forward Danilo Gallinari rejoined his former Italian club Olimpia Milano last week.
The NBA season is scheduled to open Nov. 1 but owners and players have failed to agree on a new labor deal. The two sides are at odds over how to divide the league's revenue, a salary cap structure and the length of guaranteed contracts.
Last week, NBA officials announced the postponement of training camp and the cancellation of 43 preseason games.
Virtus has won 15 Italian league titles but none since 2001, when it also won the Euroleague for the second time.
Bologna did not qualify for this season's Euroleague, although the team has big ambitions after signing former Clemson point guard Terrell McIntyre, who led Siena to four consecutive Italian titles before transferring to Malaga in Spain before last season.
Having mingled with fans in Milan on Wednesday, Bryant also received a warm welcome in Rome on Thursday, where he was brought to the Campidoglio museum to be given a commemorative medal from the 1960 Rome Olympics.

NBA talks break down over money, games in jeopardy

By BRIAN MAHONEY, AP Basketball Writer 34 minutes ago

NEW YORK (AP)—The NBA canceled the remainder of the preseason Tuesday and will wipe out the first two weeks of the regular season if there is no labor agreement by Monday.

“We were not able to make the progress that we hoped we could make and we were not able to continue the negotiations,” Commissioner David Stern said after nearly fours of talks between owners and players ended without gaining ground on a new deal.
Clay Bennett, right, owner of the Oklahoma City Thunder basketball team, arrives for labor talks Tuesday, Oct. 4, 2011 in New York. Owners and players have arrived for a "very huge day" in the NBA, with perhaps the fate of the league's 82-game schedule at stake.
Clay Bennett, right, owner of …
AP - Oct 4, 12:24 pm EDT

No further meetings are scheduled, making it even more likely the league will lose games to a work stoppage for the first time since 1998-99, when the season was reduced to 50 games.
Derek Fisher fears the NBA season won't start on time after the latest setback in labor negotiations.
(AP)

Stern and Deputy Commissioner Adam Silver said owners offered players a 50-50 split of basketball-related income. That’s below the 57 percent that players were guaranteed under the previous collective bargaining agreement, but more than the 47 percent union officials said was proposed to them.

The only numbers that matter now, however, are the millions that stand to be lost when arenas go dark.

“The damage will be enormous,” Silver said.

Players had offered to reduce their BRI guarantee to 53 percent, which they said would have given owners back more than $1 billion over six years. They say they won’t cut it further, at least for now.

“Today was not the day for us to get this done,” players’ association president Derek Fisher(notes) said. “We were not able to get close enough to close the gap.”

With superstars like Kobe Bryant(notes), Paul Pierce(notes) and Kevin Garnett(notes) standing behind him, union executive director Billy Hunter said the players’ proposal would have made up at least $200 million per season—a sizable chunk of the $300 million owners said they lost last season.

“Our guys have indicated a willingness to lose games,” Hunter said.

The sides are also still divided on the salary-cap structure.

I wrote off the next hoops season a few months ago. Thank goodness there's the NHL.

I wonder what the veterans would do to stay in shape? Threadmill everyday? Boy, talk about roaring engines stuck at 'neutral'. Everyone will be a year older and more rusty.

I wonder what the veterans would do to stay in shape? Threadmill everyday? Boy, talk about roaring engines stuck at 'neutral'. Everyone will be a year older and more rusty.

I'd say most are still working with their strength and conditioning coaches and trainers and sure are playing in pickup games :)

First 2 weeks officially cancelled.

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/featur...abor-cancellations/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1

"Missing two weeks of games means losing paychecks worth about 8.3 percent of their annual salary -- or about $175 million for the first half of November. That's more than a drop from 53 percent to 50 percent of BRI would cost the players."

There's the bit of the crazy math involved in the tug-o-teeth. As with these negotiations, pride and not wanting to back down reigns supreme, and not common sense anymore. My way of looking at this is that at least the players, even playing at decreased levels of revenue sharing, will not be in the red, unlike some teams who can be in the red when play continues. And I am still boggled at the fact that people who did not infuse capital in a business enterprise actually can collect profits by way of revenue sharing scheme, and not lose anything when the enterprise loses money.

Last edited:
Whoah. That one went WAY over my head!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu