New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

I feel sad for you Seattle folk. You've had some all time greats up there. That team with Gus & Downtown was one of my favorites, to state nothing of the class act Lenny always was. Well, ok, you also had Shawn.:D

Oh yeah I love that Sonics team. Marvin 'the Human Eraser' Webster, Jack Sikma who shoots 'behind the ear', DJ, Gus, Downtown, etc. Fluid team on both ends of the court. People forget that Bill Russell coached this team 4 years in the mid-70s. Well, those seasons were not so memorable really. ;)

That was a fun team to watch. John Johnson was an excellent passer.

Am bummed by the whole situation as the NBA season is what I really look forward to. May go to the Melo team vs. Philly team thing for a minor fix.

That was a fun team to watch. John Johnson was an excellent passer.

In the '78 and '79 World Championships there were 3 Johnsons, 2 for the Sonics Dennis and John) and one Charles Johnson for the Bullets. I got a bit confused when the announcer kept mentioning Johnson all the time. Johnson passes to Johnson and the ball was stolen by Johnson. LOL

And let's not forget Gary Payton who always played with a toothpick in his mouth and much to my chagrin ended up with the Lakers for a short stint

Oh yeah, 'The Glove'. He also played for the Celtics and the Heat, where he won a championship.

Hunter sidesteps question on pay
Adrian Wojnarowski

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports Jun 29, 6:00 pm EDT

After Kevin Garnett(notes) delivered an inspired sermon in the NBA players union meeting a week ago, declaring his willingness to sit out the season and forfeit $18.8 million in salary, a far more measured voice spoke up with 60 rank-and-file players in a New York hotel ballroom.

Shane Battier’s(notes) question, directed to Players Association executive director Billy Hunter, was simple: The NFL’s union leader, DeMaurice Smith, had agreed to take $1 in salary for the length of the NFL lockout.

Will you do it too, Billy?
More From Adrian Wojnarowski

NBA reaches labor deal with referees Sep 15, 2011
Hunter aims to unite NBA players in labor fight Sep 15, 2011

Billy Hunter makes more than $2 million a year as executive director of the players union.
(NBAE/Getty Images)

The mere suggestion seemed to offend Hunter, players witnessing the exchange privately told Yahoo! Sports. After Hunter told Battier he hadn’t given it much thought, members of the union’s executive board came to Hunter’s defense. Hunter had taken the union from the red to the black in his term, done a good job, they said. Hunter never did give Battier a firm answer, nor would he answer the question for Yahoo! Sports on Wednesday.

Salary can be a touchy subject within pockets of the union, especially since it leaves some questioning the urgency and motivation for Hunter to work for a deal. Two years ago, Hunter had gone to the Players Association and asked that he be compensated for several years’ worth of unused vacation time. There was resistance to the request, but eventually the union board agreed to award him $1.1 million, the Sports Business Journal reported. Hunter makes a little more than $2 million a year as the union’s executive director.

This is still a sore spot for some agents and players, but several union board members felt Battier was grandstanding with his question. Nevertheless, there are those in the rank-and-file who think Hunter and his executive board members have a habit of getting too snippy, too defensive with dissenting voices. If a lockout endures, these will be questions that Hunter has to answer within his union. Eventually, the players will stop getting checks in November, and if Hunter’s still getting paid … well, Battier’s voice won’t be alone.

“Billy isn’t afraid to embarrass you in front of other players, if he doesn’t like your line of questioning,” an Eastern Conference player said. “He’s done a good job keeping us informed and fighting [NBA commissioner David] Stern, but I don’t need to be lectured by the guy. I’m allowed to ask a question.”

The lockout is coming Friday at 12:01 a.m. ET, and a final bargaining session on Thursday in New York promises to be perfunctory. The union plans no counterproposal to the owners, and there are lots of players and agents who think the union shouldn’t even sit down with the commissioner and owners with such unprecedented givebacks being ordered.

Hunter has a great ability to rally the rank-and-file, and turning to Garnett in the meeting was a smart move. No one is better with a cause than Garnett, one of the great leaders in the NBA. He isn’t the most popular among his peers, but he’s one of the most respected. The union needed Garnett and Paul Pierce(notes) – who stand to lose a combined $32.7 million – selling the message to the player representatives in the room.

For all the talk the players have heard from the union about an ownership group splintering with agenda, threatening to usurp Stern’s judgment on issues, the players in the bargaining session last Friday had to admit: For a better part of four hours, Stern was running everything.

Stern dominated the meeting, with most owners reduced to bystanders. As one player said, “They’re always scared to talk when we’re in the room, especially when our stars come.” Still, several players could see the grimace on Stern’s face when notorious windbag Robert Sarver, the Phoenix Suns owner, started to speak.

There was an informal vote taken in the players’ meeting last Thursday in New York, where an overwhelming majority of the room insisted they would go the distance with the union. The owners want rollbacks on existing contracts, a hard salary cap and provisions that make owning and operating a profitable franchise a paint-by-numbers enterprise. The NBA and union will meet one final time on Thursday before a lockout comes on July 1, and there are many on the players’ side who wonder why they’ll even bother.

“Just look at the proposal the owners have made: How do you expect anyone to respond to that in good faith?” agent Mark Bartelstein said. “It’s laughable. GMs around the league have acknowledged that to me. Every GM has acknowledged that there’s nowhere for the players to go with what’s been proposed by the owners.

“The system doesn’t work for the players now, because it’s so restrictive. It doesn’t work for the owners because they’ve made a lot of bad decisions. That’s the reality. This is a horrible system for the NBA player, incredibly restrictive in every way you look at it. If the NBA owners can’t be successful in this system, blame that on nothing but poor management.”

In the end, this is a fight that’ll come down to the side’s two leaders: Billy Hunter and David Stern. Who can stand tougher, longer and endure the most pain? Here comes the NBA’s Armageddon, here comes Hunter’s and Stern’s moment of truth.

***Though the article is a couple of months old, I just read it now. Billy Hunter gets $2m in annual salary, and $1.1m in unused vacation fee. Wow. Not a bad job. I wonder if the whole season is off, he still gets his annual salary and unused vacation? And what a surprising end game to all this - Billy Hunter vs. David Stern.

Can someone explain the following to me......

Presently players get 57% of revenues (presumably for slaries) and owners get 43% (presumably to pay the rest of the team expenses and hopefully to have some profit). The claim by league and ownership is that there were but a handful of profitable teams last year.

With the new proposed CBA the players would get 53%. Does this mean that if that were to pass all of the players' contracts in the NBA would need to be rewritten ?

Can someone explain the following to me......

Presently players get 57% of revenues (presumably for slaries) and owners get 43% (presumably to pay the rest of the team expenses and hopefully to have some profit). The claim by league and ownership is that there were but a handful of profitable teams last year.

With the new proposed CBA the players would get 53%. Does this mean that if that were to pass all of the players' contracts in the NBA would need to be rewritten ?

In my understanding, Steve, I don't think the players' contracts would have to be rewritten, as these contracts have fixed amounts and fixed terms. My understanding is that this 43/57 profit sharing scheme was for actual profits AFTER the salaries of players have been deducted for each team. Their salaries have been guaranteed and it's the profit sharing scheme and the hard cap that is being re-negotiated now as the most tickling issues in the CBA. I read somewhere that the profit/revenues are from sales of T-shirts, memorabilia, and even season tickets I presume. I would also imagine that a team that has a net loss per season will have not profit-sharing scheme with its players. So by definition, the players are having the whole cake because in the event of a net loss scenario, they do not have to share a loss-sharing scheme which would mean some monies being deducted from their actual salaries. Of course that cannot happen. But at 43/57 split the last few years, the players were having a ball - if their teams were making money. I may be wrong somewhere, but this is just my understanding from this complex thing called CBA negotiations.

So Phil are you saying that not only do the players get paid but if their team makes a profit they get 57% of that as well?

How does one say about having your cake and eating it too

I would think that's the case, Steve. I have heard this profit sharing scheme too in local unions too when I was in the manufacturing sector here in the Philippines many years ago. So, if I tie up the CBA negotiations and profit sharing, I can't help but think the players are having the cake and eating it too. They never had their careers so good, I'm not sure if in the time of Russell and Chamberlain, they had profit-sharing schemes too. I'm thinking they didn't.

Last edited:
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2008/10/20081013/This-Weeks-News/Hunters-Salary-Flat-At-$24M-Others-At-NBPA-Rise.aspx

Hunter’s salary flat at $2.4M; others at NBPA rise

By John Lombardo, Staff Writer

Published October 13, 2008

National Basketball Players Association Executive Director Billy Hunter did not receive a raise from his $2.4 million gross salary during the 12-month period ending June 30, according to the union’s most recent filing with the U.S. Department of Labor.

According to the latest LM-2 filing, Hunter’s total salary during the previous reporting period was $2.4 million, the same as in the 12-month period a year earlier.

But other top union executives saw their annual salaries rise.

NBPA general counsel Gary Hall earned $382,869, up from $361,314 during the reporting period a year earlier. Hall is the second-highest-paid union executive behind Hunter. NBPA associate general counsel Ron Klempner earned $222,375, up from $214,812 during the 12-month reporting period.

Union officials declined to comment.
Hunter

Like last year, the NBA paid the union $6.25 million in licensing fees in each quarter of the most recent fiscal year, for a total of $25 million. The league paid the union $7 million in logo-use revenue, up from $5 million a year earlier.

Similar to its licensing rights deal, the union gives up control of its logo to the league for guaranteed revenue, but no specific reason for the increase was given.

Player dues for the 428-member players association are $10,000 a year and are collected from players out of their annual licensing payments, which for most players averaged about $35,000.

The NBPA reported total assets of nearly $136.7 million, up from $121.6 million at the start of the 12-month reporting period. As is the nature of filings, no reasons were given for the movement.

The union saw its total cash receipts dip to $51.3 million from $61.3 million a year earlier. Total liabilities increased to $77.8 million from $70 million from the start of the reporting period. The union’s net assets increased to $58 million from $51.1 million.

While this article came out 3 years ago, this opened my eyes as to how much of a business enterprise in the NBA Players Union. They have assets amounting to hundreds of millions of dollars, and they have total cash receipts. Well, that explains how they get to pay Billy Hunter all that money, I assume that his salary does not come from the league nor the owners' contribution.

Italy's Virtus Bologna offers Kobe $6.7 million contract

Posted Sep 23 2011 9:54AM
ROME (AP) -- Kobe Bryant has been offered $6.7 million to play basketball for an Italian team, appealing to his childhood memories of growing up in the country.

Virtus Bologna general manager Massimo Faraoni tells The Associated Press he's been on conference calls between Bryant's agent, Rob Pelinka, Bologna president Claudio Sabatini and main sponsor Canadian Solar, which would provide the cash for such a deal.
The Los Angeles Lakers superstar spent part of his childhood in Italy while his father played in the country. He also speaks Italian.
Virtus has given Bryant four different contract options, stretching from the one-year deal to two-month and one-month options, and a per-game deal that would come out to $739,640 per home game.
The club is offering the deals in case there's an NBA lockout this season.

AP Source: NBA to cancel training camps

By BRIAN MAHONEY, AP

NEW YORK (AP) — No labor deal, no training camps and no telling what else the NBA could lose.

The lockout is about to start inflicting damage on the preseason schedule - and neither players nor owners can say what will happen to the real games.

The league will cancel training camps and some exhibition games Friday after failing to reach a new collective bargaining agreement with its players, a person with knowledge of the plans told The Associated Press on Thursday on condition of anonymity because the league had yet to announce its plans.

Training camps were expected to begin Oct. 3, and the exhibition openers were set for Oct. 9.

But the cancelations, first reported by Yahoo Sports, became unavoidable after another meeting between players and owners Thursday failed to end the lockout, which began July 1.

While providing no details of the meeting, Commissioner David Stern acknowledged that ``the calendar is not our friend'' when it comes to keeping the season intact.

Stern said he had ``no announcement to make today'' regarding any postponements or cancelations, but they became a certainty with no breakthrough Thursday. Talks are not expected to resume until next week.

The league is at about the same point as when it postponed camps in 1998, the only time it lost games to a work stoppage. The decision then came on Sept. 24 for camps that were set to begin Oct. 5.

The regular season is scheduled to open Nov. 1, with the NBA champion Dallas Mavericks hosting the Chicago Bulls in the first game. Though both sides repeatedly have said there is still time for a deal that would leave the regular season unaffected, neither would say so Thursday - with union president Derek Fisher of the Lakers using nearly the same words as Stern about the coming weeks.

``I don't have control of that part of it, that would be more of a Commissioner Stern, Adam Silver question in terms of logistics of starting the season on time,'' Fisher said. ``I'm not going to try and make a guess on that one. The calendar's obviously not our friend, but we're not going to give up on the process because of the time.''

Asked again if he thought things were far enough along to still believe in a Nov. 1 start, Stern said: ``I don't have any response to that. I just don't. I don't know the answer.''

Stern celebrated his 69th birthday Thursday but didn't appear in a festive mood after meeting for about five hours with leaders from the union. He was joined by Silver, the deputy commissioner, Spurs owner Peter Holt, who leads the labor relations committee, and NBA senior vice president and deputy general counsel Dan Rube. Fisher, executive director Billy Hunter, attorney Ron Klempner and economist Kevin Murphy represented the union.

Those small groups had good talks in recent weeks, but things went poorly last Tuesday when they were rejoined by their full committees. Hunter said after that meeting that players planned to make a ``significant'' financial concession, only to find that owners refused to agree to their condition of leaving the current salary cap system as is.

Fisher said he didn't believe Thursday's talks, following a small meeting Wednesday that included Silver and staff members from both sides, moved the situation beyond where it was last week.

Stern said the owners' labor relations committee would talk Friday, and both sides said they hoped to meet again next week.

``We'll keep working at it until we figure this thing out, but right now there isn't anything to really report or say,'' Fisher said. ``I don't have any answers to any questions, other than we'll keep working until we find some solutions.''

---

we're inching in closer to losing the season, unfortunately, and sadly.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu