Gotcha
So, 2019 Divas v 2019 Boticellis
Similar prices
Whatcha gonna have?

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Haven't heard either.

You just have to take a punt with crossed fingers.

The plus for Apogee is that Tom, the Tannoy owner whose speakers Ked likes so much, thought my Duettas were better than the Munich Alsyvox demo.

That's after hearing them with a £100 Chinese DAC and the 211s.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey. I heard Duos yesterday that two guest audiophiles considered had the edge on horns costing multiples more, the whole system a fraction of the cost of the other.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Everybody likes to freak out on high prices but the wise know better...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Justin, despite some inaccurate rumours to the contrary, your system is right up there. Now, if you will muck about w spkrs upgrades and a move to the dreaded SS amp, don't say I didn't warn you. If it was me, I'd have concentrated on getting more organic smoothness w better cabling and server. But I'm not the owner.

Reactions: Carlos269

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Marc people will say all sorts of bullshit about anyone's system.

All I can say is I just sit in front of my system in a state of crazed disbelief I get from virtually nothing else.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Justin, btw I've dropped you here a PM. Can you message me back?

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
The latest post from Graz on FB...

"New Apogee Acoustics speakers are a rare thing, today I would like to share about the new Apogee Acoustics Diva Encore E9. As with the Duetta Encore E7 and Duetta Advance A7 speakers the new Diva is based on a rigid solid metal chassis, and of course uses our highly accurate CNC machined ribbons. Being considerably heavier than the early Divas all aspects of the design needed to be raised in specification, the speakers literally share very few component or dimension specifications with the original Divas beyond the ribbon topology and MRTW framework format, though they are somewhat similar in overall dimensions, albeit a little larger. The stands, whilst actually having a smaller visual profile to the earlier Divas are are several 100% more rigid, lateral rigidity also several 100% more rigid, magnetic grid accuracy typically 750-900% more accurate in gauss and placement. Careful use of composites in the suspension and tuning components to good effect, specially designed panel damping improvements, case front vibration control construction and circuit design improvements have all contributed to lift the already renowned early Apogee Diva sound quality to levels never experienced in the past! As a prestige high quality product made from premium materials, the Apogee Acoustics Diva E9 speakers are designed to last!
Such speakers are not for everybody, and are only made NEW to order for discerning clients. More good news - original Divas can be factory restored and upgraded to almost 90% of the E9 specifications, final specification subject to individual pair assessment. For those curious, new or restoration/upgrade contact us via info@apogeeacoustics.com"

69032639_965636230444769_7273030712045862912_n.jpg

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
£/€/$ for £/€/$, Diva Encores or Alsyvox Boticellis?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Both.

Then compare at home and ditch the worst one.

Simples.

(With the right amps I am 100% betting you'll get better dynamics from the Diva, though, after hearing the Alsyvox's bigger brother. I am biased, though).

Reactions: ALF and bonzo75

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
No, too easy Justin.
You only have the budget for one.
You can't secure a home trial on either.
You can't afford the bigger Alsyvox.
You have to decide on specs and instinct.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I'm biased cos I feel comfortable with what I know. And I know what the effect of spec uplift has on Apogees. But this is a spec uplift of the nth degree in terms of rigidity which is the crux of the idea behind Interstella.. Much as I like the Alsyvox, I'd go Diva Encore. And any issues I have with them I'd get sorted by myself or with Jon..

Reactions: bonzo75

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
All I can say is I just sit in front of my system in a state of crazed disbelief I get from virtually nothing else.
You may have mentioned it, but are your Duettas rebuilt? If so, was it ribbons plus crossover? You operate them with 211 tubes?

Last edited:

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Yes the Graz Apogees are top class products--it his delivery times that are the achilles heel.
My friend was told the Frames were the problem with finalising with his order.
Trust he has that sorted now.

BruceD

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Marc,

I remember corresponding with and talking with Graz at length about the Definitive prototype.

The obvious answer is for you to buy the new Diva and the Alsyvox speakers, figure out which you like better and why, write and post a full comparative report, and sell the other pair. :p

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Justin has already beaten you to that suggestion. The logic is just impeccable.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
In a current folly, I decided to attempt to Gryphon-Resnick-ize my Analysis Epsilon. Got a pair of the Bohlender Graebner 75 inch ribbons from a guy on DIY site. They appear to be the same kind used in the big Gryphon speakers Ron has.

The magnets from the Epsilon midrange center them and hold them in place. The back wave goes through the midrange aperture, and it is completely non-destructive of the Analysis Epsilon since everything is held in place by weak magnetic forces.
I just got them, but so far, proof of concept testing is very promising. So far, no notch filter and no shimmer or detectable cavity resonance. Active crossover at 350 Hz currently with 7kHz cutoff at top. They rise two feet over the Epsilons. Imaging is larger, but not unnatural, and has a strong vertical component up and down.
IMG_0487.jpg IMG_0488.jpeg

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Very interesting!

What prompted you to experiment with this?

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
The Analysis midrange ribbon is great sounding. However, I think it is overwhelmed by midrange crescendos and high energy transients. i thought to get larger Analysis speakers, but have looked at these midrange ribbons for years. The Epsilon woofer is more than enough for my room @ 360 sq. inches, but the midrange is less then 40 sq. inches.

With active crossovers as I have found, the average amp energy for each band is lower as you go up the frequency scale. However, the peak midrange energies, though lower on average then the bass, can actually spike extremely high with vocals, chorales, and orchestra so that the midranges need a LOT of physical radiation power to keep up. The transient power spikes on the midrange can also be intense. The BG ribbons have about 144 sq. inches of radiating surface, which is almost four times as much as the Analysis midrange.

I can also use a 300 Hz card for the crossover eventually, to get more midrange coverage into the midrange ribbon. As I said, I am in 'proof of concept' stage, but so far it has been working better than expected.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Carl, your WAF needs a bit more work, lol.

Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing