DSC02457.jpg

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Those must be most expensive 17kg in the industry.

Rick Brown of HiFi One , who is their global distributor proclaims it ' the best amp in the world' if that's any consolation ;)

Worldcat

May 30, 2012
Very interesting manual - it is filled with an exhaustive technical description of the amplifier. However it seemed to me this new amplifier is a conventional audio topology with a very carefully designed power supply, departing from the old patented ZH technology. Am I wrong?

There is no "best" different strokes for different folks. I am sure it is really good and better than most in its price range. I agree I think it is like the technology in most of all his amps. You have the 211 or 845 you can use either one and run it in class A so kinda unique i think.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Those must be most expensive 17kg in the industry.

Berning seems overpriced these days at every level I've seen for the workmanship inside. Look at his 9k stereo amp for exhibit A.

and for the record, I was very close to buying a ZH-270 years ago.

KR

Worldcat

May 30, 2012
Berning seems overpriced these days at every level I've seen for the workmanship inside. Look at his 9k stereo amp for exhibit A.

and for the record, I was very close to buying a ZH-270 years ago.

KR
I understand what you mean by the feel and looks of it. David does make these units by hand and what your paying for is his knowledge and unique design. His gear does sound wonderful. Most all companies in Hi End audio is way, way, over priced. I can build a 1300 square foot starter home for 73k everything, but the lot.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Rick Brown of HiFi One , who is their global distributor proclaims it ' the best amp in the world' if that's any consolation ;)

Ricky is also trying to sell the Audio Power Labs 833TNT. 200 Wpc, class A, triode at $175,000 per pair...I hear he can't keep these in stock for more than a few hours:rolleyes:

Rick Brown

Aug 13, 2012
Carlsbad, California
www.rbhifi1.com

Dear Sir,

Understanding communication is fragile, I do not recall speaking to you and most certainly did not proclaim the Berning 211 / 845, "the best amp in the world". Such statements, although common in the uber end of audio are false by nature.

I do not take personal offense, but definitely wish to clear my name of that specific statement.

Rick Brown
Hi Fi One

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Dear Sir,

Understanding communication is fragile, I do not recall speaking to you and most certainly did not proclaim the Berning 211 / 845, "the best amp in the world". Such statements, although common in the uber end of audio are false by nature.

I do not take personal offense, but definitely wish to clear my name of that specific statement.

Rick Brown
Hi Fi One

Dear RB ,

As you lay a disclaimer to the fact , I have no need or intention to clarify as and where I heard this . I would however like to extend to you a welcome to WBF and hope to see more of you around these woods . Regards

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
thumbs up for David Berning

Very interesting manual - it is filled with an exhaustive technical description of the amplifier. However it seemed to me this new amplifier is a conventional audio topology with a very carefully designed power supply, departing from the old patented ZH technology. Am I wrong?

As an owner of both a David Berning ZH270 and a wonderful ZH230 I am quite astonished at some of above notions:

I have never come across such a speed in any amplifier, nor such liquid clarity combined with colours, macro as well as microdynamics. I have only heard: Accuphase Class A amps, Einstein OTL Integrated, Pathos TT integrated, Conrad Johnson Prem 12, Audio Consulting MIPA (this one I consider equivalent or better than the Berning ZH230), Vacuum State dpa300B (an equally marvellous machine). So much to sound.

As to the remarks about conventional design (microstrip), they evoke a mild smile: Thousands of posts have been written about the question if the Berning ZH design is a true OTL or not, and quite a few very smart people have stated that they can't really make head or tail, why, or how this amp actually works, let alone functions..

As to the price: I am afraid, that I will never be able to buy these amps, even the ZHdesigns are my upper limit in my conscience as a performing musician, so I wish Rick Brown - who, I understand has sole worlwide distribution rights - all the best. He may even call them the best, but where that would leave his more expensive offers, I would not know. Me, I simply call my ZH270 the best, and the ZH230 slightly better ;-)

After all, this is WBF, so we're all "best".

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
( ...) As to the remarks about conventional design (microstrip), they evoke a mild smile: Thousands of posts have been written about the question if the Berning ZH design is a true OTL or not, and quite a few very smart people have stated that they can't really make head or tail, why, or how this amp actually works, let alone functions..
(...)

Well, you made me proud - I think I know pretty well how the old David Berning ZH270 and the wonderful ZH230 operate. As far as I remember the debates versus OTL/ non OTL are mostly semantic and only discuss the bandwidth of the output transformer - there is transformer but it does not operate in the audio band.

My concern is that reading the manual I can not find any reference to this mode of operation - it looks a classical push pull tube amplifier. Surely a photo of the circuit would elucidate me, or in its absence some explanation of some one who knows more than me about the Berning ZH211/845. And yes, I know the 211/845 are RF tubes used originally in AM transmiters ;)

I should add that I would love to listen to the SoundLab A1 PX with the ZH270.

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
A point for you!

But surely as Rick Brown is on record for not having said it being the best amplifier in the world, he might be able to contribute a bit more why it isn't ;-) ?

I have been very open as to my predisposition for the ZH amps, but know nothing about the new superpriced amps, other than what David wrote to me: "I am making push-pull Class A amps", so you maybe right?

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
..again, if you switch to page 10 onwards of the manual, does it not explicitely state to continue on the same principle as the ZH270 - now 211/845?

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
As an owner of both a David Berning ZH270 and a wonderful ZH230 I am quite astonished at some of above notions:

I have never come across such a speed in any amplifier, nor such liquid clarity combined with colours, macro as well as microdynamics. I have only heard: Accuphase Class A amps, Einstein OTL Integrated, Pathos TT integrated, Conrad Johnson Prem 12, Audio Consulting MIPA (this one I consider equivalent or better than the Berning ZH230), Vacuum State dpa300B (an equally marvellous machine). So much to sound.

As to the remarks about conventional design (microstrip), they evoke a mild smile: Thousands of posts have been written about the question if the Berning ZH design is a true OTL or not, and quite a few very smart people have stated that they can't really make head or tail, why, or how this amp actually works, let alone functions..

As to the price: I am afraid, that I will never be able to buy these amps, even the ZHdesigns are my upper limit in my conscience as a performing musician, so I wish Rick Brown - who, I understand has sole worlwide distribution rights - all the best. He may even call them the best, but where that would leave his more expensive offers, I would not know. Me, I simply call my ZH270 the best, and the ZH230 slightly better ;-)

Hello Violinist & St. Moritz skier,

How are your Vacuum State dpa300Bs doing. Can you describe "real marvellous machine" with more detail?

Best to you,
zz.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing