New King of the castle?

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Since there's no Vivid Audio dedicated sub - forum posting here.

More woofer surface area than EA MM9s, Rockport Arrakis and Magico M7 or M9s, 750lbs without a heavy wood or aluminum cabinet, funkier looking than a Wilson XVX, 5 - way design, yet no mention on WBF?, WTF?

This audio analist thinks so..

Reactions: puroagave
Since there's no Vivid Audio dedicated sub - forum posting here.

More woofer surface area than EA MM9s
you could be right about the new EA 'System' 9, but if you were referring to the EA MM7's........maybe not. your use of 'MM' confuses the issue.

the EA MM7's have -4- 11" mid woofers and -4- 15" subwoofers.....compared to -2- 7" mid woofers, and -8- 9" subwoofers. i did not do the math, but it seems like the MM7's have more woofer driver surface. and certainly equal or greater cabinet volume. but the technology nod likely goes to the Moya.

i'll give the Moya the benefit of the doubt that it is better than my beloved 12 year old MM7's. love to hear it someday. i applaud the effort.

agree there has not been as much buzz about it as i might have expected.

Last edited:
Reactions: sbo6
you could be right about the new EA 'System' 9, but if you were referring to the EA MM7's........maybe not. your use of 'MM' confuses the issue.

the EA MM7's have -4- 11" mid woofers and -4- 15" subwoofers.....compared to -2- 6.9 mid woofers, and -8.9" subwoofers. i did not do the math, but it seems like the MM7's have more woofer driver surface. and certainly equal or greater cabinet volume. but the technology nod likely goes to the Moya.

i'll give the Moya the benefit of the doubt that it is better than my beloved 12 year old MM7's. love to hear it someday. i applaud the effort.
Sorry Mike, got the EA models mixed up.

Also, Lawrence Dickie only measures the cones and not the surrounds like most speaker manufacturers do. In reality, and having owned /measured the G2 S2 which the mid - woofers are from are actually 8.5", not 6.9" and the woofer / subwoofer from my current Spirits (if you want to call it that as they go down to 20s) are 11" not 8.9".

So, for example, the Moya's 8 x 11" woofer/subwoofers have an area of 760" while the EA MM7s with 4 x 15" woofer/subwoofers = 706.8". But, as you said the mid - woofers (2 x 8.5") for the Moya - 113.4" while the EA MM7 (4 x 10") = 380", quite a bit more. Of course, how they're crossed over, driver / cabinet design, etc. also matters as we all know.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu