New King of the Mountain

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Last edited:
One hell of a review I must say.

A little more reasonably priced if you can call $32k without an arm reasonably priced. Already a $4k price increase though, was $28k a few months ago.

so you are now proclaiming that the $32K Chronos beats the $100k AF1 ? Wow, you are certainly full of hyperbole today :p

Christian the person you need to ask is Harry, not me. Don't shoot the messenger.

so you are now proclaiming that the $32K Chronos beats the $100k AF1 ? Wow, you are certainly full of hyperbole today :p
You haven't even gotten your's yet and it's already yesterday's news

You haven't even gotten your's yet and it's already yesterday's news

But then, audio fashion is a cruel mistress. Crack that whip!

it (the Kronos) sucked at the Newport Show last year.

the speed was off and the arm and cartridge set-up was wrong. (graham Phantom Supreme/Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement). it was so bad that i dismissed any sort of conclusion from that experience. i was going around and listening to one cut from my Pablo, Basie, 'Blues and Some Others...." in a number of rooms.

see #11 in this report;

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1036349020&openflup&2625&4#2625

the tt designer was there and i assume he set it up. he seemed real proud of it. i imagine he might be a better tt desgner than set-up guy.

it (the Kronos) sucked at the Newport Show last year.

the speed was off and the arm and cartridge set-up was wrong. (graham Phantom Supreme/Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement). it was so bad that i dismissed any sort of conclusion from that experience. i was going around and listening to one cut from my Pablo, Basie, 'Blues and Some Others...." in a number of rooms.

see #11 in this report;

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1036349020&openflup&2625&4#2625

the tt designer was there and i assume he set it up. he seemed real proud of it. i imagine he might be a better tt desgner than set-up guy.

I think the same could be said for CES/LAMM room this year too. The Neodio/Origine CD player sounded far better than the Kronos and I'm pretty sure why after living with the Universe 2 cartridge for now over a month: they didn't set the VTA/SRA correctly on the cartridge. The cartridge was too low--not to mention the cartridge was brand new (Mike do you know if the Clearaudio had been broken in at Newport?).

Setting up a table/arm/cart at a show is a total gamble. You really don't know the system or room or power. There is no way you can pass judgement on a table at a show, in my opinion (except for how it looks and the touch points). You need a fixed system you know very well before you can adjust azimuth, VTA and VTF. I'll have the Kronos here soon. I assume it will sound very good, since most all tables sound very good.

I think the same could be said for CES/LAMM room this year too. The Neodio/Origine CD player sounded far better than the Kronos and I'm pretty sure why after living with the Universe 2 cartridge for now over a month: they didn't set the VTA/SRA correctly on the cartridge. The cartridge was too low--not to mention the cartridge was brand new (Mike do you know if the Clearaudio had been broken in at Newport?).

Hi Myles,

This is a bit off topic but since you mentioned it - what do you think of the Neodio Origine? It doesn't look like much but has a hefty price sticker.

Setting up a table/arm/cart at a show is a total gamble. You really don't know the system or room or power. There is no way you can pass judgement on a table at a show, in my opinion (except for how it looks and the touch points). You need a fixed system you know very well before you can adjust azimuth, VTA and VTF. I'll have the Kronos here soon. I assume it will sound very good, since most all tables sound very good.

I have to agree Peter. Having set up tables and arms at a few shows this year-to say they are combat conditions is putting it mildly. At the NY show this year, so much was going wrong I almost could have cried. At 2a.m. I finally dropped the needle and there was complete distortion. I had blown a tube. Luckily I had a spare of every tube and the problem was fixed. To simply get sound to come from the speakers is an accomplishment. Having a nice leisure day to set up your rig at home is far different than setting up in a strange hotel with weird power and all is unknown. Critics of room sound and vta etc. should try it just once.

Hi Myles,

This is a bit off topic but since you mentioned it - what do you think of the Neodio Origine? It doesn't look like much but has a hefty price sticker.

I thought the Origine was among the best sounding digital pieces I've heard. I thought so much of it actually that I tried to get it for review after CES but Neodio were still at the time setting up US distribution. Guess I should send them a follow up email.

The biggest issue with the Origine is the designer is not sold on all the high-rez stuff so IIRC the unit really only plays redbook digital. But at CES, they played a couple of my discs including the old Fairfield Four recording and the Origine really brought the recording to life (of course the LAMM electronics and Wilson speakers weren't chopped liver either!). Their voices had real meat on the bones and when you heard the lower male voices, you felt they were there.

honestly hard to tell since nothing seemed to be gelling in that room, at least to my ears during the 3 times i visited. i've read only positives about that cartridge so i'm going to assume little or no breakin.

as i said, i dismissed my perceptions from that experience as not valuable. too bad since i had an interest especially in learning about the tonearm and cartridge.

I have to agree Peter. Having set up tables and arms at a few shows this year-to say they are combat conditions is putting it mildly. At the NY show this year, so much was going wrong I almost could have cried. At 2a.m. I finally dropped the needle and there was complete distortion. I had blown a tube. Luckily I had a spare of every tube and the problem was fixed. To simply get sound to come from the speakers is an accomplishment. Having a nice leisure day to set up your rig at home is far different than setting up in a strange hotel with weird power and all is unknown. Critics of room sound and vta etc. should try it just once.

Tell me about it. I think I'll save some hair by going all digital this year.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing