New Music Director of NY Philharmonic announced

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Didn't see this one coming at all! The question is whether he will leave the LA Phil or keep both positions,

"We are thrilled to announce today that Gustavo Dudamel will join the NY Phil as Music and Artistic Director in the 2026–27 season, serving as Music Director Designate during the 2025–26 season. Dudamel will become part of a storied legacy that includes Gustav Mahler, Arturo Toscanini, and Leonard Bernstein".

Last edited:

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
when the LA Phil replaced Esa-Pekka Salonen with Dudamel you could actually throw a dart at the season schedule and not miss him conducting any given program. Ive passed the last few years because he's always touring through Europe. Wait and see when he's in NY, you'll be gettiing a guest conductor 2/3rds of the time.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
when the LA Phil replaced Esa-Pekka Salonen with Dudamel you could actually throw a dart at the season schedule and not miss him conducting any given program. Ive passed the last few years because he's always touring through Europe. Wait and see when he's in NY, you'll be gettiing a guest conductor 2/3rds of the time.

Call me skeptical he'll be taking a world class SO (or members of) journeying through capitals of EU. SA is a viable alternative which has been cold for numerous decades. The México of Copland drawing close on that period.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
We had the same problem with Ozawa. He became MD of the San Francisco Symphony in 1970 and stayed until 1977. However, Boston made him MD in 1973, and he effectively put all of his energies into the BSO (a much more prestigious orchestra than the SFS at that time). So even though he stayed four more years at the SFS, he definitely did not leave his heart in San Francisco.

The jet plane means many top conductors are MD's of two, sometimes three, orchestras simultaneously. They don't spend the effort of time to build and rebuild an orchestra. We were very lucky to have MTT with the SFS for 25 years, (like Ozawa ended up in Boston for 29 years), an eternity for a MD of a major orchestra.

Larry

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
The article on Dudamel suggests he was beloved by LA and his efforts to establish the Youth Orchestra there get high praise. I'm looking forward to seeing what he will do in NY. I'm just hoping he knows how to conduct Mahler! (I've actually heard him conduct M3 and thought it was quite good.) The thing about new conductors is that they often stretch their programming to play new stuff that nobody will listen to in 50 years, just so they can be considered "creative". I'm not sure NYer's will love that. Dudamel has rightly popularized some wonderful Latin/Spanish composers (Villa-Lobos, Albeniz, de Falla) which is great. Im looking forward to seeing what he brings to the table w the NY Phil. I can't believe they got him. For the last search, they went for Ivan Fischer (Budapest) but I was told by some insiders he priced himself too high (which is how they wound up with Jaap Van Zweeden). I'm sure that Dudamel didn't come cheap so by that measure, it was a great feat to get him. It's also important w the NY Phil that the musicians have to like him as they have a reputation for being a tough bunch to please. (The top tier guys generally all know each other and are not afraid to share their opinions.) That the musicians loved him in LA is therefore a good sign that bodes well for his success in NY.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Great point. I’ve been going to the LA Phil 6 times a year for the past 8 years. I’ve seen Dudamel conduct just 4 times.

Was this a negative or a statement lacking complete development?

From an outsider's perspective it would appear someone warmly referred to as "The Dude" flitting in and out of the main scene was a perfect match for LA. I personally find a lot of recent baton appointments indicative a low point in the arts. Transposition of Dudamel into NY included. A NY that saw very timely renovation and closure of major performances spaces depriving audiences of sustenance. Suspicions his arrival will provide yet further timely renovation and closure are not unfounded.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Was this a negative or a statement lacking complete development?

From an outsider's perspective it would appear someone warmly referred to as "The Dude" flitting in and out of the main scene was a perfect match for LA. I personally find a lot of recent baton appointments indicative a low point in the arts. Transposition of Dudamel into NY included. A NY that saw very timely renovation and closure of major performances spaces depriving audiences of sustenance. Suspicions his arrival will provide yet further timely renovation and closure are not unfounded.
The Dude of course is a play on one of the best movies of all time…

Reactions: christoph and rando

rando

Sep 22, 2019
The Dude of course is a play on one of the best movies of all time…

Yes, a loveable laid back hero. Very colorful and humorous nickname that appears to have gained wide acceptance.

It required you to do some math. 48 shows and Dude was only there 4 times. He’s not engaged with the orchestra, he travels around.

Thank you for such exacting accounting in the case of my error. A topical reason existed for asking you don't appear to have interest exploring.

I look forwards to Marty's concert reviews in the coming seasons depicting his arrival.

Reactions: KeithR

rando

Sep 22, 2019
I’m stating my frustration with Duedmel, if he’s the conductor for the LA Phil, he should conduct the LA Phil.

What do you want to explore? Please be more clear.

I will make clear a designation and leave it at that.

He is not "conductor for the LA Phil" any more than he will be fit into that narrow activity at NY. Your frustration would be warranted if there was a routine full hall switch (Bernstein standing up to announce having just decided Seiji will hold the baton this evening). The leader's position is now much broader with an intrinsic focus on outreach and managerial stratagems.

Clearly one must be doing something right to have held the reins of America's second city and now be granted the first.

"We are thrilled to announce today that Gustavo Dudamel will join the NY Phil as Music and Artistic Director in the 2026–27 season, serving as Music Director Designate during the 2025–26 season.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Jeff1225, over the years, I've had season tickets for symphonies in LA, Philly, St. Louis, LA, Dallas, Ft. Worth and NY when I called each city "home". As far as I know, there is no example of a music director that conducts their home town band full time. They all have multiple commitments. However, your numbers for Dudamel conducting 4/48 times in a season seem unusually low. Might it have been because of the specific series you had? I have no idea what the right percentage should be for conducting one's home symphony, but that's a contractual issue that probably varies from orchestra to orchestra.

I would be thrilled to hear some conductors just once (as a guest conductor). Carnegie is unusual because it does not have its own symphony but hosts the greatest orchestras in the world, each with talented conductors. Rather than lament how may times I may or may not see Dudamel in NY doesn't concern me. I choose my attendance based on programming, not conductors. In addition, hearing a live performance is always a special treat. Watching a performance of the highest caliber of this art form in real time is always a thrill whether the baton is held by Dudamel or someone far less known. Sometimes those folks are the superstar conductors of tomorrow. It's all good!!

Here's an example. Let's say you show up at a concert for the LA Phil and Dudamel is off in some far away land and they stick you with some 27 year old kid Finnish conductor named Klaus Mäkelä. Do you pine over the loss of Dudamel for that evening, or do you say "hmmm, maybe this kid has got the goods, let's see what he can do"? I suggest it's more productive to take the latter approach. Turns out that kid was just appointed the music director of the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, one of the world's greatest, which has only had 8 conductors in their 125+ year history. I think we can safely say the folks in Amsterdam aren't lamenting about not seeing Dudamel!

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Jeff1225, over the years, I've had season tickets for symphonies in LA, Philly, St. Louis, LA, Dallas, Ft. Worth and NY when I called each city "home". As far as I know, there is no example of a music director that conducts their home town band full time. They all have multiple commitments. However, your numbers for Dudamel conducting 4/48 times in a season seem unusually low. Might it have been because of the specific series you had? I have no idea what the right percentage should be for conducting one's home symphony, but that's a contractual issue that probably varies from orchestra to orchestra.

I would be thrilled to hear some conductors just once (as a guest conductor). Carnegie is unusual because it does not have its own symphony but hosts the greatest orchestras in the world, each with talented conductors. Rather than lament how may times I may or may not see Dudamel in NY doesn't concern me. I choose my attendance based on programming, not conductors. In addition, hearing a live performance is always a special treat. Watching a performance of the highest caliber of this art form in real time is always a thrill whether the baton is held by Dudamel or someone far less known. Sometimes those folks are the superstar conductors of tomorrow. It's all good!!

Here's an example. Let's say you show up at a concert for the LA Phil and Dudamel is off in some far away land and they stick you with some 27 year old kid Finnish conductor named Klaus Mäkelä. Do you pine over the loss of Dudamel for that evening, or do you say "hmmm, maybe this kid has got the goods, let's see what he can do"? I suggest it's more productive to take the latter approach. Turns out that kid was just appointed the music director of the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, one of the world's greatest, which has only had 8 conductors in their 125+ year history. I think we can safely say the folks in Amsterdam aren't lamenting about not seeing Dudamel!
" Thrilled to hear some conductors"??? Then "I chose my attendance based on programming, not conductors" ??
Which is it??
You obviously are enamored with your attendance history which u presume entitles u to be the be all and end all expert on the classical music scene....over and over
Oh and one more thing , you hear the orchestra, not the conductor.....

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Oh Marty, you don’t even live here and you want to argue. Ok, if that’s your thing.

there are 52 weeks a year and an average of 6 performances a week. He conducts in 5% of the performances at the LA Phil. That’s “never there” for me. If you’re cool with 5%, well you and I have different standards.

Good luck.
Jeff, I can see math is not your strong suite. The LA Phil Concert subscription year at Disney Hall is from Sept 27 to June 4. That's their classical subscription series and doesn't include Hollywood Bowl or the Ford, which are different subscriptions. At Disney Hall, there were 110 performances and Dudamel conduced 37. You don't have to be from LA to know that's not 5%. However, I appreciate the fact you didn't feel as though your subscription was a good value and below your expectations. That's fine. But why use faulty reasoning to support your viewpoint?

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing