New to speakers and Wilson Audio in particular - please help!

doublelife

Jun 16, 2015
I am seriously considering buying a pair of Wilson Watt Puppy 5.1, my first foray into high end speakers. Apologies in advance for a lot of questions to come...

Initially, I want to try to power them from my existing headphone amp. I realise this isn't the best approach, but I'm just trying to use my existing system as much as possible until such time as I upgrade. Anyway this is a quite powerful Wells Audio headphone amp rated at 50W into 8 ohms (powerful by headphone standards at least). I don't know the power into 4 ohms or 2 ohms but I'm guessing (hoping) it will still be adequate? Is this possible to do with reasonable results? Also, my headphone amp-outs are either RCA or XLR. Can I buy speaker cables with say RCA on one end for example, and the right connectors for the Wilsons on the other? Is RCA or XLR-out better? What connectors to the speakers do I need? Is there a particular brand of speaker cable that pairs well with Wilson Watt Puppy 5.1?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give to all these questions.

Sonus

Jul 7, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
Take the amp with you and try it first before you buy, most likely you will burn it in the first 5 minutes.
IMO, you should wait until you have money for a decent amp, at the meantime the price of the 5.1 will go down.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Welcome to the forum. The WP 5.1 may require a little bit more power and stability than what your amp provides. It dips around 2 ohms in the bass. Best thing would be to listen to challenging material with your amp, at SPL you judge to be adequate. That would give you an idea. I do not have any experience with your particular amp. a cursory look at its specs reveals it can produce 100 Watts at 4 ohms. That's a lot for an headphones amp! Audition first. I do have my doubts about the long term behavior (reliability) of your amps with this diffcult load though.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
You can make your own cables pretty easily or you can buy them: http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_8yuxzqoiw8_b

Be careful to get the ones that don't have an attenuator. These are usually made for car stereo going from speaker level to RCA and hence the attenuation. Just pick the ones that are just straight wire.

I think 50 watts is enough to get a good experience. Average music levels we listen to are quite low.

doublelife

Jun 16, 2015
Thanks for all the advice! I'm going to give it a listen to see how it sounds with my amp before committing.

One last question, what type of speaker connection will I need (banana/spade?), and would I be better getting RCA-out or XLR-out from my amp to speaker cables?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
XLR would be a better choice because it has a more secure connection than RCA. Then again you have to buy a cable or make one with the right pin out as it has three pins, and your speakers have two wires. If you are just going to test it, make it simple and get the RCA and see if it works well at all.

prerich

May 21, 2012
Take the amp with you and try it first before you buy, most likely you will burn it in the first 5 minutes.
IMO, you should wait until you have money for a decent amp, at the meantime the price of the 5.1 will go down.
Agreed!!!! The Watt/Puppy wouldn't be a comfortable load to drive with a headphone amp.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing