New Wadax Atlantis Reference Dac

Narayan

Oct 6, 2015
The question is not just the technology, but the psychoacoustics of sound reproduction. Audio scientists are still facing the problem that audiophiles subjectively prefer an inferior two channel format - stereo - to the more elaborate and complete multichannel, that delivers a much more accurate and complete sound reproduction.

Hello micro, I tried the multichannel way with music and to be honest I prefer stereo, I didn´t perceive any advantage or increase in my enjoyment of the music, BUT as far as movie watching is concerned the enjoyment was substantially incremented and the experience much more immersive, so in my case at least there is a definite divide depending on what type of sound is being reproduced. I wouldn´t call stereo inferior, it´s just the way we´re used to listen when we attend a musical event / concert, where the sound never comes from the sides, back or above and sometimes music isn´t even amplified.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I wouldn´t call stereo inferior, it´s just the way we´re used to listen when we attend a musical event / concert, where the sound never comes from the sides, back or above and sometimes music isn´t even amplified.

No, sound comes from everywhere in musical events/concerts. You are probably referring to poorly recorded multichannel, that exaggerate/fake side and back information, but IMHO properly carried multichannel is closer to what we feel in the concert room. However I still prefer and enjoy more stereo ...

Reactions: CKKeung

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I prefer MCH to 95 percent stereo systems. I looked once keenly at datasat atmos and auro 3d systems. What attracts me to stereo is I can get better tone through recordings and via specific speakers that I have not seen in MCH. For example, I have not seen quality SETs based high efficiency MCH system. If one were to exist, it might be more attractive. The current MCH systems use poorer quality electronics and recordings for tone though their staging, immersion, bass response and detail adds its own charm of realism

Reactions: the sound of Tao

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I know JMF had a 5 channel of their speakers. Dunno if they still have that set up. Never heard it

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I would take a 5 channel Wilson duette with subs and datasat over a two channel Wilson Alexandria any day

Narayan

Oct 6, 2015
I´m just posing the question since it just entered my mind and ask because I lack the listening experience, but what about omnidirectional speakers? Have any of you guys had quality time to evaluate them vs more traditional approaches?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The question is not just the technology, but the psychoacoustics of sound reproduction. Audio scientists are still facing the problem that audiophiles subjectively prefer an inferior two channel format - stereo - to the more elaborate and complete multichannel, that delivers a much more accurate and complete sound reproduction.

I have yet to hear a multi-channel solution that is at the same quality of equipment overall as the best two channel systems...therefore, the synthetic and artificial nature of most reproduction is just getting multiplied by more channels! IMO, realism comes from lack of artifice not complete immersion in a soundfield, which if plagued with the usual artificial sonic cues, will sound no more real than a mediocre two channel setup.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I have yet to hear a multi-channel solution that is at the same quality of equipment overall as the best two channel systems...therefore, the synthetic and artificial nature of most reproduction is just getting multiplied by more channels! IMO, realism comes from lack of artifice not complete immersion in a soundfield, which if plagued with the usual artificial sonic cues, will sound no more real than a mediocre two channel setup.

Yes and just proper coherence is enough of a challenge for a well specified and setup stereo system let alone dealing with 5 channels. The less coherence the greater the sensation of a synthetic experience. Just speculating but surround sound that is more complex in sensory terms and not coherent is probably more challenging for our perception to deal with and while it may be aurally exciting but may perhaps be more about a physical buzz rather than a musical one.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Yes and just proper coherence is enough of a challenge for a well specified and setup stereo system let alone dealing with 5 channels. The less coherence the greater the sensation of a synthetic experience. Just speculating but surround sound that is more complex in sensory terms and not coherent is probably more challenging for our perception to deal with and while it may be aurally exciting but may perhaps be more about a physical buzz rather than a musical one.
well, when it is coupled with Video then it will seem less problematic as we are now doing the Video processing at the same time and that becomes the dominant sense.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
well, when it is coupled with Video then it will seem less problematic as we are now doing the Video processing at the same time and that becomes the dominant sense.
Visuals would very much help focus us in the event but I wonder if it is a led thing and directed with transitions between various wide shots, closeups and cutaways and using zooms and pans it might be another category of synthetic perception separate than a live experience. Though since we are mostly inundated with produced imagery from our very earliest years maybe the video seems more natural than real life lol.

Working my early career life in film and video probably I’ve completely overdosed on a produced life so will abstain from travelling too far down the created visual rabbit hole and just stick probably with the music and what real life I can fit in between now and the inevitable fade to black and cue the titles :).

Last edited:

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
A friend just took delivery of the Reference DAC and Atlantis Transport in the last 2 days....called me last night and is beside himself
with amazement at how the new setup sounds. He surprised me by telling me that he finally found something to equal/beat his top
of the line Air Force One setup.....amazing.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
A friend just took delivery of the Reference DAC and Atlantis Transport in the last 2 days....called me last night and is beside himself
with amazement at how the new setup sounds. He surprised me by telling me that he finally found something to equal/beat his top
of the line Air Force One setup.....amazing.

Can you send a video of the system playing some music with this dac?

Reactions: howiebrou

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Unfortunately no.....it's not my system and while a visit is being discussed, that's a 11 hour drive or a couple flights from where I live so I've not been there yet. I'll ask him if he'd do it after break in is complete however it's ultimately something I can do.

There are a couple vids out there from Munich 2019 where I heard Wadax Atlantis and Reference gear for the first time. Show conditions, not ideal by any means but in-person was damned impressive, and this, from a die-hard Esoteric fan.

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
I was an Esoteric fan too but fortunately i discovered Wadax.
Sound reaches another dimension.... Nothing comes close to Wadax technology.
Detail of my Wadax Atlantis working on 1V output.
FC5D78A8-0C6E-471A-B350-6273633C03AB.jpeg

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Unfortunately no.....it's not my system and while a visit is being discussed, that's a 11 hour drive or a couple flights from where I live so I've not been there yet. I'll ask him if he'd do it after break in is complete however it's ultimately something I can do.
There are a couple vids out there from Munich 2019 where I heard Wadax Atlantis and Reference gear for the first time. Show conditions, not ideal by any means but in-person was damned impressive, and this, from a die-hard Esoteric fan.
The house-sounds of Esoteric and Wadax can't be more different.
Very eagerly waiting for your report on home-visiting your Ref DAC+Atlantic Transport friends!
Many thanks!

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
I am looking forward to it very much but could take some time due to distances between and schedules of the 2 people involved :) !

Reactions: CKKeung

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
That is quite a beast.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing