New Wadax Atlantis Reference Dac

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Four Wadax Reference DACs have arrived in Hong Kong!
:cool:

IMG-20191103-WA0051~2.jpg

Reactions: howiebrou

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Visited a friend in Hong Kong last night.
He is one of the very few Wadax Ref DAC owners in HK.

20191126_205235~2.jpg
20191126_203807~2.jpg

It was paired with the Wadax Universal Transport and an Extreme server.

There have been so many negative comments on the Ref DAC since its announcement, mainly about its high price and the external design/appearance.

Last night I look at the real object and I can confidently tell you that it is not ugly.
Yes, it's big and heavy but I believe that the form follows the function and the complicated innards.
:)

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Visited a friend in Hong Kong last night.
He is one of the very few Wadax Ref DAC owners in HK.

View attachment 59334
View attachment 59335

It was paired with the Wadax Universal Transport and an Extreme server.

There have been so many negative comments on the Ref DAC since its announcement, mainly about its high price and the external design/appearance.

Last night I look at the real object and I can confidently tell you that it is not ugly.
Yes, it's big and heavy but I believe that the form follows the function and the complicated innards.
:)

Wow. I like the Curling rock next to the Atlantis. :p

Reactions: mallen123

caesar

May 30, 2010
There's a pathetic review of this DAC by Roy "Stop Rambling and Get to the Point Already" Gregory. No comparisons. Just that it's the BEST. Bunch of gibberish and a Total waste of time, so not sharing the link.

If anyone knows how this compares to other top DACs, your input is appreciated.

Reactions: Lagonda

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
I have a friend who has changed his entire DCS Vivaldi system for a Wadax Reference Dac and another who has changed his full Esoteric Grandioso system for an Atlantis one.
But I can see that your interest would not outweigh my effort to describe the comparison.
Anyway, it would be useless. You have to heard it by yourself to believe it.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I have a friend who has changed his entire DCS Vivaldi system for a Wadax Reference Dac and another who has changed his full Esoteric Grandioso system for an Atlantis one.
But I can see that your interest would not outweigh my effort to describe the comparison.
Anyway, it would be useless. You have to heard it by yourself to believe it.

Thanks for the data points - very helpful. Both dCS and Esoteric make severely analytical sound in my experience, and one needs to have a very musical system to avoid that fate. So I'm assuming that this DAC is not on the analytical side.

Was going to try to hear it at Axpona and RMAF. I hope these shows don't get canceled.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Thanks for the data points - very helpful. Both dCS and Esoteric make severely analytical sound in my experience, and one needs to have a very musical system to avoid that fate. So I'm assuming that this DAC is not on the analytical side.

Was going to try to hear it at Axpona and RMAF. I hope these shows don't get canceled.
You would be right saying that it is not analytical. I have listened to it a bit but not compared it directly with anything else. It certainly does not fall into the tiresome school of dacs.

Last edited:
Reactions: caesar and CKKeung

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
You are lucky in HK
In Italy we can listen maximo DCS Rossini and MSB Analog

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Could be one day.
Every year i go to China near Shanghai to visit my company,the biggest producer in the world of linen yarn for textile.
I am their sales manager in Italy since 16 years

Reactions: CKKeung

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
You can also come to Seville (Sound Sevilla) to listen to it, much closer than Hong Kong

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
I know the owner with the marble statue pillar. I bought his Esoteric N 01 that he replaced with the Wadax Ref DAC.
I know him as well and talk to him regularly; he has an outrageously good TT setup (TechDAS Air Force 1 I believe) and says that after the Wadax Ref DAC broke in he has not felt the need to listen to vinyl; that to me is one hell of a statement.

Rumor has it the Reference DAC will be joined by a Reference Transport, don't know when but can hardly wait to see what Javier and team would come out with for such a ref transport!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I know him as well and talk to him regularly; he has an outrageously good TT setup (TechDAS Air Force 1 I believe) and says that after the Wadax Ref DAC broke in he has not felt the need to listen to vinyl; that to me is one hell of a statement.

Rumor has it the Reference DAC will be joined by a Reference Transport, don't know when but can hardly wait to see what Javier and team would come out with for such a ref transport!
Yes, a Reference Streamer/Server and/or a Reference Transport.
Hope that Javier's plan is not disrupted by the stupid virus.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
So at the end no one knows if this DAC outperforms MSB Select ll 3 box version ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing