New Wadax Atlantis Reference Dac

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Hello User211,
I guess what you mean is the new Wadax Reference DAC.
It was debuted at Munich Show 2019.
Although it is one-piece, it's HUGE!

Pls refer to the photo on #95.
The upper monster is Reference DAC.
The lower smaller one is Atlantis DAC.
Hi CK.
Only to clarify.....
The smaller one is Atlantis Server, although it shares the same dimensions than the Dac...
Cheers

audioway

Mar 28, 2015
Voronezh
The Wadax Reference DAC is modular and upgrade can be easy.
However and as far as I know, the modules are linked together directly via direct plugs-sockets.
I have never heard that there are cables to enable its modules to be placed separately.
Wadax Atlantis Reference consist of 3 unit (2 separate PS unit and main DAC module unit) each PS unit connected to main module via special power cable with PowerCon connectors. See schematics on attached pictures. Wadax Atlantis Ref.jpg

audioway

Mar 28, 2015
Voronezh
I have not heard directly side by side. But I can say the Kassandra Signature was used at Munich as the source into the Impera pre and Achilleas power amplifiers, into the Symphonias and new Erevus Bass Horns. I have to say it sounded incredible, and got best of show from many who heard it. We swopped the TT and digital front ends over the 4 days without really noticing, so the digital to my ears was as good as the TT. Zero fatigue, fully dynamic (of the scale dynamics) and super 3D soundstage and pin point placement.

On DACs generally, at this high level it possibly comes down to personal tastes. I have struggled to connect with DS or DSD based DACs, or the up sampling DAVE architecture. I have no answer for it, only to say NOS R2R sounds more natural to my ears, and I enjoy listening for hours.
Thanks Astro. At Munich I hear Aries Cerat full system too and fully agree with your comment.

Reactions: Legolas

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
CKKeung, what place you can give Wadax Atlantis and dCS Vivaldi (after MSB and TotalDAC)? Thanks
Yes, these are on my personal top ten.
But may not be too meaningful to you as our audio systems and tastes may differ.

For components such expensive, I think we have to listen to them carefully several or even many times before making any purchase decisions.

Reactions: microstrip

Narayan

Oct 6, 2015
I absolutely agree with you. I understand that with these prices the market to Spanish is marginal, but not offering the native language on the website is simply stupid. Well, I think I'm going to leave it here, before saying something that I regret tomorrow.

I agree the spanish market is not big by any means, but we have to consider the hispanic one aswell, 600 million people speak spanish, 500 million of which are native speakers plus it´s one of the most studied languages too, so spanish companies not tapping into that potential are simply stupid. I too will leave it here, not without the hope that Wadass, Fartesania Audio, Oh No Acustica and Broma (Joke in spanish) Audio will change their ways.

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
I agree the spanish market is not big by any means, but we have to consider the hispanic one aswell, 600 million people speak spanish, 500 million of which are native speakers plus it´s one of the most studied languages too, so spanish companies not tapping into that potential are simply stupid. I too will leave it here, not without the hope that Wadass, Fartesania Audio, Oh No Acustica and Broma (Joke in spanish) Audio will change their ways.
Why don’t you stop insulting once and for all?
Stupid? As i can see, you are very proud of your language and that is fine but you can’t force the marketing line of any brand.
For your information, Artesania Audio has changed recently its site and before that, it was writen in spanish.
Don’t you think they will have their reasons?
Are they losing sales for that reason?
I don’t think so.
Come on !!! The world has become very small and english is the official audio language all over the world. You can admit it or not, but they deserve respect.
I don’t think brands like Goebel, Cessaro, Ypsilon, Thrax, Nagra, CH Precison, Analog Domain, etc...doesn’t love its native language but its sites are only available in english.
Honestly, don’t worry about Wadax marketing line. I assure you they know what they do.
In the meantime, now, the big market of Wadax is located in Asia. Millions of people talking in chinese vs hundreds on spanish. So if there were a second language, it should be chinese.
But, that isn’t the question. The client target of all Hi-End brands knows english very well.
Regards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elliot G.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Stereophonic the point is not whether it should be in English that is obvious. Can you imagine a French or German brand that did not have a version in their language? It seems that some Spanish brands with technology of the highest level are ashamed of their origin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Narayan

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Can you imagine a French or German brand that did not have a version in their language?
No. I can’t imagine it because they exist:
• Göbel
• Burmester
• Cessaro
• Analog Domain
• Do you want more?
And yes, Spain isn’t still the cradle of Hi-End prestige....
As you know, i’m from Spain too and the first spanish Wadax Atlantis owner.
Until i know, there is only another one. A good friend of mine that lives 45 miles from my home. So 2 Atlantis owners here.
What a number !!!!

Last edited:

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Well, you're right, but that Made in Europe has always displeased me. Certainly the manufacturer is in his perfect right to do it, but I would have loved that a technology of that level and success in Southeast Asia would take the name of my country in the back.

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Well, you're right, but that Made in Europe has always displeased me. Certainly the manufacturer is in his perfect right to do it, but I would have loved that a technology of that level and success in Southeast Asia would take the name of my country in the back.
What i love is the sound of my Atlantis DAC/Server combo. ;)
The rest, i don’t care..... but believe me,
everybody knows Javier Guadalajara is from Spain.

Narayan

Oct 6, 2015
Why don’t you stop insulting once and for all?
Are you trying to force my marketing line? :) It´s not like I disrespected a family member unless you have relatives in any of those companies, but as an owner and customer I see how that might annoy you, it wouldn´t annoy me in the least if you had the same opinion about the guys that built and marketed my gear. All those companies make world class products, their marketing is my complaint.

Stupid? As i can see, you are very proud of your language and that is fine but you can’t force the marketing line of any brand.
I used the numbers merely to illustrate my point, but now that you mention it, yes, unlike some spaniards I´m very proud of my country and my language, as I am proud of my mother´s country Denmark which I love.

For your information, Artesania Audio has changed recently its site and before that, it was writen in spanish.
Don’t you think they will have their reasons?
I can´t come up with any reason that I consider good, it reeks of lazyness and neglect towards their country of origin, as Wadax says: "True Excellence Has No Shortcuts" well for the love of God apply that to your website!

Are they losing sales for that reason?
I don’t think so.
Yes they are, I´ll never buy from them, how would you feel if I were to meet you one day on business and only spoke to you in english both of us being spanish and in Spain?

Come on !!! The world has become very small and english is the official audio language all over the world. You can admit it or not, but they deserve respect.
Completely agree and I should perhaps have kept the playing with words sillyness to myself, despite being a grown man I´m facetious by nature and have this little kid inside me that wants to come out and play now and then.

I don’t think brands like Goebel, Cessaro, Ypsilon, Thrax, Nagra, CH Precison, Analog Domain, etc...doesn’t love its
native language but its sites are only available in english.
I´ll never buy from them either! (Joke) :)

Honestly, don’t worry about Wadax marketing line. I assure you they know what they do.
I don´t question the quality of the products or the engineering, even despite the fact that I´d never pay stratospheric prices for cables or a DAC. Technology has to be pushed forward and it looks like Wadax is doing just that, although the proof will be in the listening. You do seem passionate about them though, so they must be doing something right.

In the meantime, now, the big market of Wadax is located in Asia. Millions of people talking in chinese vs hundreds on spanish. So if there were a second language, it should be chinese.
They could have devoted some of those more than 30,000 man hours invested in the Atlantis Reference to include spanish and chinese in their website.

But, that isn’t the question. The client target of all Hi-End brands knows english very well.
Regards.

Best regards to you too Stereophonic, please share any info you can get on the Atlantis Reference, despite my gripes I´ll read it with interest.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Wadax Atlantis Reference consist of 3 unit (2 separate PS unit and main DAC module unit) each PS unit connected to main module via special power cable with PowerCon connectors. See schematics on attached pictures. View attachment 54534
I don’t understand why they spent so much time effort and detail on the front and then spoilt it with these crudely drawn red lines with a “sharpie” ;)

IgorSwwt

May 4, 2016
Wow, there are so many $100k audio boxes that don't create much of anything new, technically. A bit better jitter, a bit lower p/s rail noise, some variation on a discrete output stage, etc.. Ho hum.. The next decade will see fundamental changes in audio processing and performance, from the microphone to the power amplifier, and everything in-between. Today's systemic 120dB dynamic range (best case) will be extended to 160dB or possibly higher -- yes, mic to power amp (speakers won't evolve in-kind -- most of these improvements are on the noise end of the spectrum). DACs will improve true linearity from today's 21 bits (best case) to upwards of 30 bits. Self-noise of mics, ADCs, DACs, and power amps will be reduced by almost two orders of magnitude, from 1uVrms BB-UW today (best case) to the low nano-volt range BB-UW. I have seen the future of audio, and it is glorious.

Last edited:

Narayan

Oct 6, 2015
Wow, there are so many $100k audio boxes that don't create much of anything new, technically. A bit better jitter, a bit lower p/s rail noise, some variation on a discrete output stage, etc.. Ho hum.. The next decade will see fundamental changes in audio processing and performance, from the microphone to the power amplifier, and everything in-between. Today's systemic 120dB dynamic range (best case) will be extended to 160dB or possibly higher -- yes, mic to power amp (speakers won't evolve in-kind -- most of these improvements are on the noise end of the spectrum). DACs will improve true linearity from today's 21 bits (best case) to upwards of 30 bits. Self-noise of mics, ADCs, DACs, and power amps will be reduced by almost two orders of magnitude, from 1uVrms BB-UW today (best case) to the low nano-volt range BB-UW. I have seen the future of audio, and it is glorious.

You´ve seen the future of audio, but have you heard it? :)

I agree with your first sentence, innovation in the highend seems to translate to bigger, heavier, shiny and stratospherically expensive, those fundamental changes you talk about haven´t been heard in the past decade and I remain skeptical they will in the next one, you could always prove me wrong with more info on where you source your optimism from.

IgorSwwt

May 4, 2016
Narayan, since Edison invented audio delivery (1885), there have been three dynamic range paradigm shifts (>10X) in audio history. 1925, 1950, 1980. We are long overdue for the 4th paradigm shift. Beyond that, I'll have to keep you guessing :cool:

p.s., audio capture was invented by a French guy in 1850s.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The question is not just the technology, but the psychoacoustics of sound reproduction. Audio scientists are still facing the problem that audiophiles subjectively prefer an inferior two channel format - stereo - to the more elaborate and complete multichannel, that delivers a much more accurate and complete sound reproduction.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
The question is not just the technology, but the psychoacoustics of sound reproduction. Audio scientists are still facing the problem that audiophiles subjectively prefer an inferior two channel format - stereo - to the more elaborate and complete multichannel, that delivers a much more accurate and complete sound reproduction.
Perhaps audio scientists are challenged by the problem that they don’t understand why audiophiles don’t find multi channel the more accurate or the more complete sound reproduction. Perhaps some audiophiles aren’t necessarily believing that the measurements that are traditionally applied in terms of accuracy are then the complete picture in terms of human perception. Maybe there’s just more going on here than science completely understands even if we go past electrical engineering and move across into neuroscience. Is there simply just more going on here with human perception.

Science rather loves to box things up in it’s own terms but is just like the rest of us and as yet to explain consciousness in any complete way. We are salvaged from hubris by all that remains unknown unless we then pretend that all that stuff just doesn’t count. The age of enlightenment may just be an awkward phase we had to go through just to discover our limits and that there is still much understanding safely out of our bounds.

In terms of listening perception, sound and more importantly music reproduction how do we actually define complete. Do we really have complete understanding or just some understanding.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al M.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing