New Wilson Speaker

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
A breakthrough for Wilson?

We are excited to announce an ALL-NEW loudspeaker from Wilson Audio, The Alexia (coming Fall 2012)!! The Wilson Audio Alexia is a new model positioned above the Sasha, and below the MAXX.

Preliminary information (Full technical details will be
included in a press release scheduled for September 15, 2012):

The Alexia's form factor resembles the Sasha; its footprint is similar to the Sasha, and it is slightly taller. The Alexia features three modules to facilitate micro adjustments in the time-domain for all three driver groups, the woofer, the midrange and the tweeter. High frequencies are handled by a revised version of Wilson's newest driver, the Convergent Synergy Tweeter. The critical mid frequencies are handled by Wilson's acclaimed midrange driver. For the bass, Wilson developed two entirely new drivers, an eight-inch and a ten-inch. As with the MAXX Series 3 and the Alexandria XLF, speed, bass extension, and authority are optimized with this carefully tuned staggered-two-woofer approach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MT1Xbmx0Ink

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
I was just logging in to post this! You beat me to it, Myles, dangit! :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I was just logging in to post this! You beat me to it, Myles, dangit! :)

Sorry if I stole your thunder :)

Can't wait to hear it! Hopefully Innovative will have it in NYC!

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Sorry if I stole your thunder :)

Nah, you are fine Myles even though I have been SO excited to tell you guys about this ALL NEW product!

But I really do appreciate your help in spreading the word to everyone! :)

-Debby

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Looks and I bet sounds awesome....

I have been working up at the house the past few weeks where my brother (Daryl Wilson) and father (David Wilson) have been in the final phase of listening, and putting the final touches to the Alexia.

They were doing side by side comparisons with the Alexia vs. the Sasha. The best way to sum it up in a few words:

The Alexia sounds like more like a mini XLF than a larger Sasha!

-Debby

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have been working up at the house the past few weeks where my brother (Daryl Wilson) and father (David Wilson) have been in the final phase of listening, and putting the final touches to the Alexia.

They were doing side by side comparisons with the Alexia vs. the Sasha. The best way to sum it up in a few words:

The Alexia sounds like more like a mini XLF than a larger Sasha!

-Debby

Thumbs up Debs

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Thumbs up Debs

Thanks, Steve - but all I did was help announce it. My father, Daryl, and the rest of the R&D team are the ones that should get the praise ;)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Maybe we will see it and hear it at RMAF?

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Maybe we will see it and hear it at RMAF?

It has been talked about - not sure what the final decision on that will be at this point.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If it sounds as good as it looks, you've got a winner on your hands.

Steve Williams

My prediction......., (assuming of course it has Alexandria sound). It has the silk dome tweeter

This will be the most successful Wilson speaker of all time

I would assume the rest of the line will ultimately have that silk dome tweeter

terryj

Jul 4, 2010
bathurst NSW
The music was nice enough, worth checking further. Any details?

The Alexia features three modules to facilitate micro adjustments in the time-domain for all three driver groups, the woofer, the midrange and the tweeter.

You mean you can adjust them back and forth? On site? Why? It should be preadjusted surely. the timing will not change from factory to room, and should be correct in the first place. Why even mention it?

Uhh, how then do you compensate in the xover for the Fr anomalies that will introduce if changed on site? Sounds like making an issue out of a non issue (if preadjusted that is)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If I'm not mistaken the usefulness of this feature for time alignment would depend partly on the crossover circuitry. "Less is more" X-Os benefit from mechanical time alignment. The protocol Wilson provides for set up take into consideration the listening distance. From what I can see in the pics, the range of adjustability would not be large enough for an owner to severely screw things up but would be more than enough to dial things in given listening distance and height relative to the speakers.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
You mean you can adjust them back and forth? On site? Why? It should be preadjusted surely. the timing will not change from factory to room, and should be correct in the first place. Why even mention it?
Propagation delay adjustments are based on listener ear height and distance from speakers in the listening position. Having this set at the factory is a compromise and most speakers are that way save for Wilson. Having the ability to custom adjust for your room and ear height is one of Wilson's distinct advantages, imo

Steve Williams

Terry

methinks you are over your head on this one

Please have a look at the Wilson website to educate yourself on the movement of the upper modules in Wilson speakers but honestly you're not correct

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Propagation delay adjustments are based on listener ear height and distance from speakers in the listening position. Having this set at the factory is a compromise and most speakers are that way save for Wilson. Having the ability to custom adjust for your room and ear height is one of Wilson's distinct advantages, imo

Well put, Christian. :)

-Debby

Randall Smith

May 30, 2010
NC
It seems to me that adjusting the alignment of the drivers without adjusting the crossover will lead to phase errors.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing