Next steps with Soundsmith Fixed Coil cartridges

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Peter, will have to pass. Running two clinics AND trying to listen to some music each day Lol.

As w all things audio, what we individually class as big differences may be inaudible to others. My GF sits and gives me THAT look when I rope her into A/Bs. Yet she has the most acute hearing of anyone I know. She can hear differences, just doesn't rank them or easily describe them.

For me, it was easy to hear the difference going from SG stock psu in 2013 to battery psu a year later. Greater ease, less grain, more transparent. However, more unreliable too, as it proved prone to failing.

Getting yr returned SG w the WWE, I felt this made a moderate uptick on stock wall warts, but not slam dunk.

Going to this bespoke LPS just took the SG to a new level. Bass control, mids texture, air, microdynamics and treble sweetness, impvd all 'round.

It was a bitch to burn in needing 100 hrs "real time" ie 120+ lps played, before it broke in, but that torture has proved hugely worth it. Music thru the LPSd SG has critically helped reassert analog superiority over digital, happily closing a massive chapter of insecurity on my sound.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I just ordered 2x Keces P8 24v DC power supplies for my SG 210 Strain Gauge system.

Looking forward to any potential difference in performance :)

Reactions: Stump and Vienna

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I just ordered 2x Keces P8 24v DC power supplies for my SG 210 Strain Gauge system.

Looking forward to any potential difference in performance :)

I didn’t know that they make a 24v single output LPS or did you get 2 dual 24V LPSs?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
The Keces P8 has always 3 outputs, which can be partially defined:
http://www.kecesaudio.com

I ordered 2 times the
9V/12V + 20V/24V + 5v DC USB Output
version to feed the double 24v DC inputs of the SG210.

I have one LPS already to drive my J Sikora Reference Turntable, having 4 times the 24v Pabst DC motor.
My second Keces P8 is connected to my Fritzbox Router and my Silent Angel Bonn N8 switch, using 12v and 5v.

Using the Ghentaudio DC cables , I am happy with the performance given, I know, there are better LPS out there, but the most are a kind of professional DIY, which I am not going to use, as I like to have "legal" gear in my home.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
The Keces P8 has always 3 outputs, which can be partially defined:
http://www.kecesaudio.com

I ordered 2 times the
9V/12V + 20V/24V + 5v DC USB Output
version to feed the double 24v DC inputs of the SG210.

I have one LPS already to drive my J Sikora Reference Turntable, having 4 times the 24v Pabst DC motor.
My second Keces P8 is connected to my Fritzbox Router and my Silent Angel Bonn N8 switch, using 12v and 5v.

Using the Ghentaudio DC cables , I am happy with the performance given, I know, there are better LPS out there, but the most are a kind of professional DIY, which I am not going to use, as I like to have "legal" gear in my home.

I wasn’t including the 5v/1A USB output.

The Keces P8 is great. I am using it to power my motherboard in my server.

Reactions: shakti

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Juergen, just one piece of advice. If I have to power the SG off/on, I always do this via the LPS, not the energiser box. My LPS is dual mono with a single power switch, whereas you'll have 2 seperate LPSs.

Check w Peter on that. FWIW, I think you're in for a v pleasant suprise.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
I didn’t know that they make a 24v single output LPS or did you get 2 dual 24V LPSs?
A Keces P8 with two outputs made a huge difference on my Phoenix Eagle. I don’t know whether is due to the absence of switching power supplies but it is audible

Reactions: Lagonda

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
A Keces P8 with two outputs made a huge difference on my Phoenix Eagle. I don’t know whether is due to the absence of switching power supplies but it is audible

I love their power supplies. However, in my application I need over 6A so I had to get the single outlet P8. Contrary to what Shakti said, there are single output versions (excluding the 5A USB).

Last edited:

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I love their power supplies. However, in my application I need over 6A so I had to get the single outlet P8. Contrary to what Shakti said, there are single output versions (excluding the 5A USB).

To my understanding they always have three outputs.

If you order single output (instead of Dual output), you get 2 output connectors with the same voltage plus one USB.

At least, this is one version showing, I have seen.

But maybe there are different versions out there

The single voltage version can do 8A max, the dual voltage only 4A

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
To my understanding they always have three outputs.

If you order single output (instead of Dual output), you get 2 output connectors with the same voltage plus one USB.

At least, this is one version showing, I have seen.

But maybe there are different versions out there

The single voltage version can do 8A max, the dual voltage only 4A

That is not the case. I have a “single output” P8 which has 1 19/20V 8A output and 1 5V 1A output. If you need the additional amperage your have to get the single output version. (The picture is upside down. I am not on a computer).

Attachments

• BE4CEB52-7F19-4805-A4B2-6980C50A8B19.jpeg
    BE4CEB52-7F19-4805-A4B2-6980C50A8B19.jpeg
    235.1 KB · Views: 8

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
thanx, good to know for the potential next order

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Shakti, I think you might have interesting news on yr ongoing SG trial, now w LPS...

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
The two Keces P8 24DC power supplies have arrived, the two Ghentaudio Gotham DC cables as well.

The change from the standard PSU to the Keces is done in seconds,
as I placed the units close by, that I am was able to use the somer Powerchords as well.

Listening to SG 210 with the standard PSU showed all the details and finesse I was used to.

But changing to the Keces double pack, improved the performance in all matters.

The biggest and most obvious change is the low region , the bass as such.

With the standard PSU the SG210 was always limited in bass resolution and power, specially in the lowest register,
compared with the Hyperion. Connected with the Keces, the 2 carts play on the same level, but still a little different.
The SG210 continues to be on the leaner side, the Hyperion plays with a little bit more substance.

But the difference is now that small, that a different cable can make this difference.

If the bass is working, the view into the room, the staging of all musicians should improve, and this exactly, what is happening.

In this regard the SG210 is now outperforming my other Carts. The midrange is absolutely clean and precise.

I listened to a Drum and Percussion set to get the difference. With standard PSU I was able to follow all the different bits of peaces of the percussion instruments, but with the Keces LPS, I was able to even follow the position, the musician was playing the fell of the Konga instrument. Very impressive.

Compared to Hyperion , the sound is still a little bit too lean (for my personal taste and set up), so I changed the power chords to the Keces, which is making an audible difference. I am using now some "better" MIT Powerchords, but this will be not the last choice.

A little difficult to compare, as you need always a set of two equal Powerchords.

For some of my visitors the SG210 is now their new "reference" in my system, so it could be, that I have to adjust my personal and Hyperion driven bias (taste) a little bit to come to the same conclusion..., we will see.

Reactions: Vienna and marmota

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Juergen, fantastic. I'm so pleased this direction has worked out for you.

Yes, bass is phenomenal. Where I find bass excels is on discs where the low end can be anaemic or insipid thru other carts. Like Miles Davis Mosaic 10-lp set of Live At The Plugged Nickel.

I always struggled for any fullness previously. Now Ron Carter's bass truly communicates, the whole vibe of the lps is warmer and fuller, but no compromise on speed. That would have created fuzziness w lower registers of Herbie Hancock's piano and Miles's trumpet, and ruined Tony William's kick drum articulation.

Put on something w way fuller, fatter bass like Pat Metheny, and energy just saturates the room, but speed and leading edge definition are not sacrificed.

So, I used to get fullness but too bloomy/lack of final degree of articulation from my Lyra Parnassus, definition but lack of body from my Zu 103, neutrality but lack of drama from my Transfiguration Orpheus. The SG/LPS totally melds all the good bits, jettisons the bad.

Indeed I can't highlight any area it doesn't excel at.

Last edited:

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Today I found myself again @home, due to Corona ...

So I tried to do something time consuming with fun :)

In my current set up the

Soundsmith Hyperion OCL

is fitted into the SME 3012R tonearm, using a Soundsmith headshell and Soundsmith headshell screws.

The performance is nice and sweet with beautiful voices, so I can listen to Leonard Cogen forever,

But since I have a Murasakino Sumile cartridge into a Glanz MH-124S tonearm (2020 model Arche headshell) I am missing some resolution, some extension on both ends of the frequency spectrum and a little contour to better understand instruments and vocalists.
In a nutshell, Sumile outperforms Hyperion in the given tonearms.

So I decided, that I need to try another tonearm with a higher effective mass for the Hyperion.

I chose the

Ikeda CR 407 matt (solidsteel armwand) , silver inner cabling version

tonearm with a higher as 30g effective mass.

As the soundsmith headshell should be a good partner, I kept the wooden headshell.

Changing was done fast, VTA and VTF was kept constant from the former set up.

I like on the Soundsmith Hyperion , that it is following the adjustments with ease, so antiskating and azimuth was done quickly as well.

Listening to the first minutes of music I started to be confused, as the performance was much closer to Sumile & Glanz,
than the Hyperion & SME before. I was thinking, that I started the record with the wrong arm/cart combination.

But it looks like, that the Hyperion has changed a lot in the better direction.
Bass and treble is much more defined and the resolution is now even higher than Sumile & Glanz.

It was even possible to move from 880ohm to 500ohm impedance.

Sumile & Glanz are playing a little bit smoother, softer , but with great feeling for rhythm. The Hyperion & Ikeda combination is "faster" and more to the point, every single instrument is full of uniqueness in terms of timbre and and color of sound. It is very easy to just follow the single instrument, without loosing the contact to the complete song.

Impressive combination. Good to know, that Ikeda has relaunched the solid state version of the 12' 407 tonearm in 2020 , named

Ikeda CR407 SS

as the SS Armwand is a real performer with the Hyperion.

Now I have two set ups connected to my Boulder (Sumile & Glanz / Hyperion & Ikeda ) which are playing on a very high level with a little different view into the music. The Sumile prefers to play with a step up in front of the Boulder 2008, so I ordered a matching step up (NAT) for the Hyperion as well.

The Story will continue :)

IMG_3134.jpg IMG_3137.jpg

Reactions: Vienna and defride

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Juergen, I'm v happy reading yr love and admiration for the various Soundsmiths. Esp the LPSd Straingauge.

First, even though I'm confident in my choice of LPSd SG as end game cart for me, it's comforting to hear positives from others like yself.

Second, Peter's creations are special it seems across the board. Good you get the word out to a forum membership that may be unaware of a very musical range of carts.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Just caught a message from Peter Lederman on Audio Asylum by way of Audiogon.
Things looking very bad for the company it seems. Zero sales, and Peter let his staff go home 8 wks ago, while still having to cover fixed costs.
He comments on being 50 yrs in the trade and never having ever let down a customer.
Until now it seems.

I'll be gutted if Peter folds. My Straingauge experience has been stellar from Day One, better and better, firstly w LPS addition, and then learning to correctly dial the cart in.

Add in Peter's hugely personal approach and service, and the extreme VFM of Straingauge ownership (repl stylii less than $1250 each), and the situation is tragic.

I'm self employed myself w real danger my 25 yrs established business could fold, currently at zero income and having let an associate go, like Peter, so I have some idea what he's going thru.

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway
Just caught a message from Peter Lederman on Audio Asylum by way of Audiogon.
Things looking very bad for the company it seems. Zero sales, and Peter let his staff go home 8 wks ago, while still having to cover fixed costs.
He comments on being 50 yrs in the trade and never having ever let down a customer.
Until now it seems.

I'll be gutted if Peter folds. My Straingauge experience has been stellar from Day One, better and better, firstly w LPS addition, and then learning to correctly dial the cart in.

Add in Peter's hugely personal approach and service, and the extreme VFM of Straingauge ownership (repl stylii less than $1250 each), and the situation is tragic.

I'm self employed myself w real danger my 25 yrs established business could fold, currently at zero income and having let an associate go, like Peter, so I have some idea what he's going thru.

I am afraid this will be the result of the lockdown strategy for many unfortunately.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I know Hogen, I've wound down my two osteopathy clinics for 5 weeks now, and let two staff go incl my much-valued mum/baby cranial osteopath.
I've loaded up w PPE and hygeine protocols ahead of hopefully a soft launch sooner rather than later.

Just swapped emails w Peter...he's still working, making some of the best, and best vfm carts out there.
I'm thinking I'm gonna bring fwds my Straingauge replacement stylii order that was likely later in the year.

Tbh, now, or 6-9 months is no great shakes for me, but could be critical for him. Peter is such a gracious and professional fellow, his Straingauge has ended up being my final upgrade cart/phono choice, and he was kind enough to come thru on something he didn't have to (an "above and beyond" episode), if I can help ease his woes then I'm v happy to.

And at c$1k per repl stylus, Straingauge is still by a huge margin the most affordable l/t ownership proposition cart in the high end universe...and one of the most impressively best-sounding.

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway
I know Hogen, I've wound down my two osteopathy clinics for 5 weeks now, and let two staff go incl my much-valued mum/baby cranial osteopath.
I've loaded up w PPE and hygeine protocols ahead of hopefully a soft launch sooner rather than later.

Just swapped emails w Peter...he's still working, making some of the best, and best vfm carts out there.
I'm thinking I'm gonna bring fwds my Straingauge replacement stylii order that was likely later in the year.

Tbh, now, or 6-9 months is no great shakes for me, but could be critical for him. Peter is such a gracious and professional fellow, his Straingauge has ended up being my final upgrade cart/phono choice, and he was kind enough to come thru on something he didn't have to (an "above and beyond" episode), if I can help ease his woes then I'm v happy to.

And at c$1k per repl stylus, Straingauge is still by a huge margin the most affordable l/t ownership proposition cart in the high end universe...and one of the most impressively best-sounding.

I understand, I really hope you (and Peter) gets through this. Here in Norway physiotherapy and osteopathy opens up again on monday 27.04.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing