NHB-108 model one

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
That's one area it does not excel. It's on par with good tube amps, solid, but not subterranean.

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
I bought something completely different instead. Had the opportunity to buy a pair of new old stock Wavac MD-805M mono's and I took it. These amplifiers originate from the surplus stock of a former european distributor and have only been unpacked to make pictures. I'm also negotiating a deal at the moment with a seller of a second hand Wavac PR-X2 preamp.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Congrats , i hope they will work good with your naim speakers .
55 watts with iirc different taps 4 and 8 ohm , the naim has a 88 db specified sensitivity and a nominal 4 ohm load .
But nominal values specified by the manufacturer dont mean a lot , you wanna see a impedance graph

redandgold

Jun 3, 2018
The new webpage-design of darTZeel seems to be online. Looks nice and modern. :cool:

www.dartzeel.com

But the biggest surprise isn‘t the new NHB-468. There is additional a brandnew NHB-108 Model Two. Didn‘t hear before the successor is so concrete.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The new webpage-design of darTZeel seems to be online. Looks nice and modern. :cool:

www.dartzeel.com

But the biggest surprise isn‘t the new NHB-468. There is additional a brandnew NHB-108 Model Two. Didn‘t hear before the successor is so concrete.

It looks to be a prototype - some capacitors in the right power supply board are of different color than those on the left!

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I wonder if upgrade for Model One owners will be available and how much it will cost. The casework and PSU (the two most expensive parts) look to be the same, so maybe a PCB / front panel swap will be offered.

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
This is a big surprise indeed! I'm glad in a way I didn't go for a Model One after all. Nothing about a Model Two in the pipeline mentioned anywhere when I searched for a Model One not so long ago.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Why ? Did that make the Model One any less capable ?

If I'm not mistaken, you were not in the market for a brand new unit (the Model Two will probably cost more than Model One, so expect a retail well over $40k) and don't expect any S/H units earlier than in 2-3 years. And those again, will probably be more like $25k for the first few units.

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
Yes off course it does, why else would they release a Model Two? All I meant was that I would not be happy having just purchased a second hand Model One and finding out that they released a Model Two just 2 weeks later. If I had known about the upcoming Model Two I wouldn't have wasted my time looking for a Model One.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Vitus ss 101 is another posibility seems to be a good big class A beast , it has a volume control so you can switch with or without ext. Tube pre.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Yes off course it does, why else would they release a Model Two? All I meant was that I would not be happy having just purchased a second hand Model One and finding out that they released a Model Two just 2 weeks later. If I had known about the upcoming Model Two I wouldn't have wasted my time looking for a Model One.

Less desirable - yes, but not any less capable. Afterall - the amp sounds as good today as it did one week ago.

But I do understand that there are certain audiophiles, who always want to have the latest and greatest, and every new model introduction makes them feel unhappy with their gear.

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
Very nice since I hooked them up to the JBL LSR6332's (4 ohm, 93db). The really sing now, couldn't be happier.

Did you replace your cat yet?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
No , and i wrote a mail to a nice no-nonsense dealer
Overhere Callas audio .
He said get/ change some tubes first and i did, the cat is quiter now, i parked the poweramp outside.
Hé recommend me vitus by the way, i dont think i ll sell it, i might buy SS to merely change once in a while .
Plus i found a way to make CD s more listenable

Last edited:

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
There was a gorgeous 108 listed here on WBF for a couple months that couldn't sell at under $11k USD. And that was before the knowledge of a Model Two. So I'd definitely agree that now isn't the time to buy a Model One. A few more should hit the used market in the fall when the Model 2 is released and prices should be even better then for anyone interested in a Model One.

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
No , and i wrote a mail to a nice no-nonsense dealer
Overhere Callas audio .
He said get/ change some tubes first and i did, the cat is quiter now, i parked the poweramp outside.
Hé recommend me vitus by the way, i dont think i ll sell it, i might buy SS to merely change once in a while .
Plus i found a way to make CD s more listenable

My Wavac's are very quit. Can't hear them from my listening position. Have to stand next to them to hear a low hum.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing