Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
At the prices you guys are talking about for 108s, it's a no brainer.
The CTH is an exceptional integrated, but again, at the 108 prices you guys are seeing, I'd definitely go for that instead of the CTH.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Didn't known that, it's a no go then. Thank you both for the info.

Micro, I see you've got Parasound JC1's now. Are they better than the NH108?

The Dart separates will cost you more than double a CTH in the US at least. It should sound better.

The CTH is the best SS integrated i've ever heard - and I a/b'd it with the 42k Dagostino and preferred its tonality and flow. The Dag will give you more power of course.

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
The Dart separates will cost you more than double a CTH in the US at least. It should sound better.

The CTH is the best SS integrated i've ever heard - and I a/b'd it with the 42k Dagostino and preferred its tonality and flow. The Dag will give you more power of course.

I'm not planning to buy the pre-amp. I will use the integrated pre-amp of my Puccini Player when I buy a 108.

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
Contacted the seller of the 108 again today and offered him cash if I could pick it up and he refused this, said he only accepted a bank transfer, then I could pick it up. Suggested that we go to his bank together so that they could check my cash but he refused this also. If this isn't a scam, I don't know what is...

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Given that you'd be severely underutilizing the 108 by not using a preamp and going direct with the dCS (something I did try at some point), perhaps you'd be better off with a CTH-8550.

Sencha

Nov 11, 2013
U.K.
Drikus, I have a pair of B&W 802 Diamonds on the end of my 108 which are a much tougher load than your Ovators. While it may not have the last ounce of drive and control on these it is certainly loud enough and has plenty of slam and pazazz to enjoy. I had Naim DBL's & 3 X NAP500's previously and while the 108 doesn't have the slam and control of these amps it certainly has enough and offers things that the 500's only just hinted at. Hope this helps as the 108 is a fine amplifier by anyone's measuring tape. Hope you manage to track one down.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Contacted the seller of the 108 again today and offered him cash if I could pick it up and he refused this, said he only accepted a bank transfer, then I could pick it up. Suggested that we go to his bank together so that they could check my cash but he refused this also. If this isn't a scam, I don't know what is...

Under this conditions do not go on. No seller would refuse cash on pick up for an amplifier that is being advertised everywhere for a long time ...

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
Given that you'd be severely underutilizing the 108 by not using a preamp and going direct with the dCS (something I did try at some point), perhaps you'd be better off with a CTH-8550.

Is the dCS preamp that bad? I might change my mind later on and get a dart preamp after all, who knows. Can't do this if I buy a CTH-8550 now.

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
Under this conditions do not go on. No seller would refuse cash on pick up for an amplifier that is being advertised everywhere for a long time ...

I won't. Asked him about all these ads of his amp everywhere and he said that they were all from other people using his photos. Maybe a coincidence but all these so called other people seem to have the same name...

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

Scam!

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Is the dCS preamp that bad? I might change my mind later on and get a dart preamp after all, who knows. Can't do this if I buy a CTH-8550 now.

It's really fatiguing, and the 108 does need all the extra gain (and body/fullness) a true preamp provides.

I did start with the CTH, then got the preamp, and for a while, I used the CTH as a stereo amp, through the 18NS preamp. It was awesome, but of course, the 108 was better still.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland

Sounds indeed a bit dodgy .
Okay then may be ML 33 (h)for me after all

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Sounds indeed a bit dodgy .
Okay then may be ML 33 (h)for me after all

You may have posted this somewhere, but I fail to see why you would want to get rid of your CAT amps and go to a ss design. Particularly the ML??

Instead, why not go up in the CAT line...Ken's newer Black Path models are a step up over his non Black Path models. For instance, I hear the new Statement Black Path is actually worth hearing, LOL.:cool:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
There are several reasons .

First my wife left me , incl my creditcards and motorbike , lol .

Okay now serious .
I live in a normal housing environment which means I have to be sensible in system volume , if I had a custom room I might have kept the cat and have thought differently , although its more noisy then SS which I don't like , through the speakers as well as the 50 hz transformer hum .
I use the capabilities of my current full range speakers only for maybe 25 -30 percent
Ml amps got me in the high end in the first place , so they have a special place .
Changing gear once in a while keeps it interesting , plus I might need a bit coloured gear to keep CD s listenable
I haven't sold the cat though I might just keep it as well as SS for switching once in a wihle .

Ps I am more then 60 % of the time abroad and sometimes I just want a no nonsense 1 button amplifier no warm up time what ever .
Also I think the better the speaker and the easier it is to drive the more you can skip on amp power and to a certain extent ¨ quality ¨.
The person who bought some of my mdf designed smaller speakers brought a NAD integrated to try with his future purchase , and we also tried it on my XPE speaker.
I was astonished just how nice a 500 euro integrated of maybe 50 watts sounds if it doesn't have to supply a heavy load

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Saw some of you vids on youtube. They do sound great your speakers, even on youtube!

Thanks , you re always welcome for a listen if you re interested no obligations , I also live I brussels now , but am often abroad for work , I'm now in Dhaka Bangladesh as I write this

If you have a custom room my XPE speakers are a blast , they will toy with something like an Magico S 5 / alexia which go for around the same price ,on authority / extension/ dynamics

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I'm curious how folks characterize the 108's bass. 0.33ohm output impedance, so a damping factor of only 12 in to 4 ohms.

Thanks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing