Objectivists, Harman Testing, Reviewers, and Reality

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Seriously, Amir, you're just stressing yourself. You're arguing climate science with corporatists. They will not waver in the face of data, no matter how compelling.

Tim

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
You do realize there is no consensus on the ways to properly measure dipoles-even down to heir efficiency?
In anechoic chamber?

BTW what does preference mean? Tonality, frequency response, imaging, dynamics, etc? The same to everyone?
That is the good part: no one dictates that. You sit there and a loudspeaker plays. You wonder how well it is playing. You have no idea really at first. After all, it is not like you hear the live recording first, then the same thing through the loudspeaker. Audio is broken that way.

Then you play the next loudspeaker. Oh wow. It sounded different. Which is real? You go back to the first one. Ah, one is more real. The other one well, doesn't sound right. The voices, hmmm, sound too flat in one.

Next comes the third loudspeaker. Now you have yet another dimension. You are asked to quantify the difference. You need to give a score. Here is my score sheet in progress (please pardon the shaky image, the room was dark):

I rated loudspeaker A low because it just sounded bad to me. It was flat, "phasey" sound for the lack of a better word. The others sounded so much warmer, and fuller, and well, real to me.

As I have told the story, the curtain opens, we all compare notes and majority of us voted the same way. So while not to "everyone," to most of us the relative ratings were the same. I did not ask however what the other people heard. I just know their rankings being similar to mine.

How is this possible? If we are different in how we perceive fidelity, our scores should not have correlated at all let alone to this high level. The answer is in Dr. Toole's book and my favorite part of it all:

"Fortunately, it turns out that when given the
opportunity to judge without bias, human listeners are excellent detectors of
artifacts and distortions; they are remarkably trustworthy guardians of what is
good
. Having only a vague concept of what might be correct, listeners recognize
what is wrong. An absence of problems becomes a measure of excellence. By
the end of this book, we will see that technical excellence turns out to be a high
correlate
of both perceived accuracy and emotional gratification, and most of us
can recognize it when we hear it."

I must confess that I would been incredulous of this being true had I not taken the test. But I tell you, every word is correct. I could identify what I thought was real because of absence of what was wrong in one loudspeaker versus another.

It seems we have this incredible cognitive ability to cut through vast differences between sound of loudspeakers and find common distortions that most of us dislike similarly. I can't explain it. I can't rationalize it too well. But ultimately, I have to trust the cross section of my subjective assessment, and incredible body of research that it says it is all true. My intuition be damned. Hopefully you would have concluded the same thing, had you been in my shoes :).

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
In anechoic chamber?

That is the good part: no one dictates that. You sit there and a loudspeaker plays. You wonder how well it is playing. You have no idea really at first. After all, it is not like you hear the live recording first, then the same thing through the loudspeaker. Audio is broken that way.

Then you play the next loudspeaker. Oh wow. It sounded different. Which is real? You go back to the first one. Ah, one is more real. The other one well, doesn't sound right. The voices, hmmm, sound too flat in one.

Next comes the third loudspeaker. Now you have yet another dimension. You are asked to quantify the difference. You need to give a score. Here is my score sheet in progress (please pardon the shaky image, the room was dark):

I rated loudspeaker A low because it just sounded bad to me. It was flat, "phasey" sound for the lack of a better word. The others sounded so much warmer, and fuller, and well, real to me.

As I have told the story, the curtain opens, we all compare notes and majority of us voted the same way. So while not to "everyone," to most of us the relative ratings were the same. I did not ask however what the other people heard. I just know their rankings being similar to mine.

How is this possible? If we are different in how we perceive fidelity, our scores should not have correlated at all let alone to this high level. The answer is in Dr. Toole's book and my favorite part of it all:

"Fortunately, it turns out that when given the
opportunity to judge without bias, human listeners are excellent detectors of
artifacts and distortions; they are remarkably trustworthy guardians of what is
good
. Having only a vague concept of what might be correct, listeners recognize
what is wrong. An absence of problems becomes a measure of excellence. By
the end of this book, we will see that technical excellence turns out to be a high
correlate
of both perceived accuracy and emotional gratification, and most of us
can recognize it when we hear it."

I must confess that I would been incredulous of this being true had I not taken the test. But I tell you, every word is correct. I could identify what I thought was real because of absence of what was wrong in one loudspeaker versus another.

It seems we have this incredible cognitive ability to cut through vast differences between sound of loudspeakers and find common distortions that most of us dislike similarly. I can't explain it. I can't rationalize it too well. But ultimately, I have to trust the cross section of my subjective assessment, and incredible body of research that it says it is all true. My intuition be damned. Hopefully you would have concluded the same thing, had you been in my shoes :).

I don't think that the measurements posted were in an anaechoic room.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
So let us ignore what Amir has noted before, and start round the circle again? (the Bill Clinton tactic)

No let us accept everything like Moonies. Must be the difference between true scientists and engineers.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I don't think that the measurements posted were in an anaechoic room.
Harman ones absolutely are. Here is the text from the AES paper that graph came from: Some New Evidence That Teenagers May Prefer Accurate Sound Reproduction
Sean E. Olive, AES Fellow

"3.3.2. Correlations between Preference Ratings
and Acoustical Measurements

Fig. 7 shows the comprehensive anechoic measurements
of Loudspeakers A through D, which have been shown
to correlate well with listeners’ preference ratings in
controlled listening tests
[19]-[23]. Each loudspeaker
was measured at a 2 m distance. The original
measurement had 2 Hz frequency resolution that was
post-smoothed to 1/20th octave resolution [23].
Measurements were taken at 10-degree increments over
both horizontal and vertical orbits of the loudspeaker,
and then spatially-averaged to allow characterization of
the direct, early and late reflected sound in a typical
listening room. The curves in each graph represent from
top to bottom: the on-axis response, the listening
window, the first reflections, the sound power response,
and the directivity indices of the first reflections and
sound power."

In other words, he is describing the "spin data" I explained earlier.

JA tests them in his backyard I think to remove the effect of everything but the floor.

Dr. Olive goes on to say:

"There are some clear visual correlations between the
subjective preference ratings of the loudspeakers, and
shape and smoothness of their measured curves. The
most preferred loudspeaker (Loudspeaker A) has the
flattest and smoothest on-axis and listening window
curves, which is well maintained in its off-axis curves.

In contrast to this, the less preferred Loudspeakers B, C
and D all show various degrees of misbehavior in their
magnitude response both on and off-axis.
Loudspeaker
B has a “boom-and-tizz” character from the overemphasis
in the low and high frequency ranges,
combined with an uneven midrange response.

Loudspeaker C has a similar mismatch in level between
the bass and midrange/treble, in addition to a series of
resonances above 300 Hz that appear in all of the
spatially averaged curves. Loudspeaker D has a
relatively smooth response across all of its curves but
there is a large mismatch in level at 400 Hz between the
bass and the midrange/treble regions.

Together these irregularities in the on and off-axis
curves are indicative of sound quality problems that
were reflected in the lower preference ratings given to
Loudspeakers B, C and D."

esldude

No let us accept everything like Moonies. Must be the difference between true scientists and engineers.

Sorry, not about acceptance. You are free to accept or not. Amir has posted several times in several ways how the tests are done. He has linked videos which explain it. You can find blogs by Sean Olive explaining it. Yet, here we go again, you are asking something already answered several times.

The Clinton quip is about asking what does preference mean. As well as already explained Amir just posted how he did it in detail. Preference is preferring one of the speakers over 3 others.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Harman ones absolutely are. Here is the text from the AES paper that graph came from: Some New Evidence That Teenagers May Prefer Accurate Sound Reproduction
Sean E. Olive, AES Fellow

"3.3.2. Correlations between Preference Ratings
and Acoustical Measurements

Fig. 7 shows the comprehensive anechoic measurements
of Loudspeakers A through D, which have been shown
to correlate well with listeners’ preference ratings in
controlled listening tests
[19]-[23]. Each loudspeaker
was measured at a 2 m distance. The original
measurement had 2 Hz frequency resolution that was
post-smoothed to 1/20th octave resolution [23].
Measurements were taken at 10-degree increments over
both horizontal and vertical orbits of the loudspeaker,
and then spatially-averaged to allow characterization of
the direct, early and late reflected sound in a typical
listening room. The curves in each graph represent from
top to bottom: the on-axis response, the listening
window, the first reflections, the sound power response,
and the directivity indices of the first reflections and
sound power."

In other words, he is describing the "spin data" I explained earlier.

JA tests them in his backyard I think to remove the effect of everything but the floor.

Dr. Olive goes on to say:

"There are some clear visual correlations between the
subjective preference ratings of the loudspeakers, and
shape and smoothness of their measured curves. The
most preferred loudspeaker (Loudspeaker A) has the
flattest and smoothest on-axis and listening window
curves, which is well maintained in its off-axis curves.

In contrast to this, the less preferred Loudspeakers B, C
and D all show various degrees of misbehavior in their
magnitude response both on and off-axis.
Loudspeaker
B has a “boom-and-tizz” character from the overemphasis
in the low and high frequency ranges,
combined with an uneven midrange response.

Loudspeaker C has a similar mismatch in level between
the bass and midrange/treble, in addition to a series of
resonances above 300 Hz that appear in all of the
spatially averaged curves. Loudspeaker D has a
relatively smooth response across all of its curves but
there is a large mismatch in level at 400 Hz between the
bass and the midrange/treble regions.

Together these irregularities in the on and off-axis
curves are indicative of sound quality problems that
were reflected in the lower preference ratings given to
Loudspeakers B, C and D."

I believe we were talking about the ML measurements from Stereophile.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Here lies the ultimate problem with your approach. Full sets of measurements are facts. It's the subjective, poetic nonsense that is fiction.

Tim

They are only facts if the measurements were done correctly by trained professionals.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
They are only facts if the measurements were done correctly by trained professionals.

Actually they're only facts if they were done by trained professionals in a controlled environment and repeated with the same results. And they were.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Actually they're only facts if they were done by trained professionals in a controlled environment and repeated with the same results. And they were.
Accordng to the ABX DBT crowd and Harmon's own speaker testing, observations also count as "facts" if done in a controlled environment and repeated with the same results.

The larger problems are what to measure and then what the measurements mean. I don't think "we" have enough data to realistically address those problems. To use another (disliked) analogy to car enthusiast testing, few people would choose a street car based on any measured performance data, there are just too many unquantifiable subjective areas of car preference. Although we're looking at an entirely different type of choice here, I do think similar principles apply; as many appropriate, useful measurements as possible should be made, to be combined with subjective impressions described in as much useful detail as possible without veering off into a reviewer's ego tripping to prove himself worthy of the job.

Alan Sircom

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Aug 11, 2010
Sorry, but is not easy to take valid and reliable information from these graphs. It is much more than just Ohm's law! You have to consider the speaker efficiency that is given in dB/W ( a logarithmic unit), its dispersion , the voltage and current limits of the amplifier , your room gain and your musical and listening preferences.

Amateurs will probably oversimplify and make erroneous assumptions.

That is precisely the problem. In the last magazine I worked on, we had to actively deflate the whole measured performance section, because our published measurements were being used (more accurately, abused) like 'Top Trumps' cards. Before we came to this decision, we regularly devoted pages (every month) explaining why the measurements existed, what they were there for, how to read them, what they related to, and so on.

We came to this decision because feedback from reader surveys, focus groups, interpreting questions from readers, and reports from manufacturers and dealers all pointed to a readership singularly and repeatedly failing to correctly interpret what we published. No matter how you tried to explain and educate the readers, the technologically advanced readers would lock all of this down to three basic figures: power handling, impedance, and frequency response. A few really bright sparks would replace 'power handling' with 'sensitivity' and one or two (who knew their way around the topic) would ask whether we should be measuring 'sensitivity' or 'efficiency'. Most, however, would boil this down to just power handling - 'how many watts in those speakers?'

The problem you will face here is someone will buy a loudspeaker with a power handling rating of 200W (but with an amp crushing sub-two ohm impedance dip in the upper bass) because it is 'better' than one with a power handling figure of 100W (despite that loudspeaker having a completely benign impedance plot). They then wonder why their 50W amplifier starts behaving like a toaster. If you warn the reader about this in the measured performance, you often 'bury' that warning.

Yes, that means pandering to a lowest common denominator, and it's ultimately an education issue, but education requires a willingness to learn the subject matter, and going that deep into audio is not what everyone signed up for. They just want something that sounds good.

Forums create strong opinions, but I think the handful of people who think an audio magazine should be the JAES with more pictures need a fairly serious reality check.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
You missed the point. I wasn't talking about the measurements Harman takes, I was referring to Amir's idea that all reviewers should b e taking measurements of the gear they review.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
That is precisely the problem. In the last magazine I worked on, we had to actively deflate the whole measured performance section, because our published measurements were being used (more accurately, abused) like 'Top Trumps' cards. Before we came to this decision, we regularly devoted pages (every month) explaining why the measurements existed, what they were there for, how to read them, what they related to, and so on.

We came to this decision because feedback from reader surveys, focus groups, interpreting questions from readers, and reports from manufacturers and dealers all pointed to a readership singularly and repeatedly failing to correctly interpret what we published. No matter how you tried to explain and educate the readers, the technologically advanced readers would lock all of this down to three basic figures: power handling, impedance, and frequency response. A few really bright sparks would replace 'power handling' with 'sensitivity' and one or two (who knew their way around the topic) would ask whether we should be measuring 'sensitivity' or 'efficiency'. Most, however, would boil this down to just power handling - 'how many watts in those speakers?'

The problem you will face here is someone will buy a loudspeaker with a power handling rating of 200W (but with an amp crushing sub-two ohm impedance dip in the upper bass) because it is 'better' than one with a power handling figure of 100W (despite that loudspeaker having a completely benign impedance plot). They then wonder why their 50W amplifier starts behaving like a toaster. If you warn the reader about this in the measured performance, you often 'bury' that warning.

Yes, that means pandering to a lowest common denominator, and it's ultimately an education issue, but education requires a willingness to learn the subject matter, and going that deep into audio is not what everyone signed up for. They just want something that sounds good.

Forums create strong opinions, but I think the handful of people who think an audio magazine should be the JAES with more pictures need a fairly serious reality check.

+10^6

mep

Apr 20, 2010

Alan-as expected from you, another thoughtful and insightful post that succinctly said in a few paragrahs what I have been trying to express in many. Amir wants to bring everyone in this hobby up to a very high level in terms of technical knowledge which isn't going to happen. Further, Amir wants all reviewers to acquire test equipment and take measurements in addition to writing their reviews. This has become the theater of the absurd.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Amir wants to bring everyone in this hobby up to a very high level in terms of technical knowledge which isn't going to happen. Further, Amir wants all reviewers to acquire test equipment and take measurements in addition to writing their reviews. This has become the theater of the absurd.

Trust me, Amir attempts are not being lost on "everyone" ... because not "everyone" wishes to be pandered like an LCD (lowest common denominator).

and it's ultimately an education issue, but education requires a willingness to learn the subject matter, and going that deep into audio is not what everyone signed up for. They just want something that sounds good.

people can do/buy what they please, but IMO they should be educating themselves in any venture they take seriously; thankfully some forums aim to share such knowledge.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
A noble aspiration,Stereophile seem to manage a subjective and objective review.
Keith.

Sterophile's reviewers aren't taking measurements and the reviews don't mention the measurements that JA takes so you are mixing apples and hubcaps.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Alan-as expected from you, another thoughtful and insightful post that succinctly said in a few paragrahs what I have been trying to express in many. Amir wants to bring everyone in this hobby up to a very high level in terms of technical knowledge which isn't going to happen.
Back to defeatist attitude. I must say, a remarkable thing has happened in just a couple of days in this forum that counters that. Members are learning the topic. I am pretty sure you have learned something too, no? Most everyone now knows what the research says regarding importance of frequency response, the way to test loudspeakers in a controlled manner, etc. They are not all accepting of the conclusions, but the education has happened. Just like it did before the moment I experienced it and believed.

As I have said, I have had these arguments countless times on AVS but never got the feeling that people were really learning or paying attention. Our membership has paid attention even in the midst of heavy disagreement. It is very gratifying to see this, again even if people violently disagree with following the research. That they could in spite of their own intuition means we are not who you describe. That staying in the dark is not a desirable goal.

Further, Amir wants all reviewers to acquire test equipment and take measurements in addition to writing their reviews. This has become the theater of the absurd.
The only thing absurd is to claim as a reviewer you need to remain a total non-expert, with no abilities, tools, or knowledge above the readers of said review. You are trying to agree with Alan but he just got done saying they ran measurements. Until such time that you too learn to do that, understand it as well as he has, you are not situated as he. Also, his readership is far broader than yours I imagine.

This is ultimately what you are fighting about, right? That you should not have anything to teach the readership. No conveyance of knowledge about the equipment being tested. All you want to do is share emotions in ways that cannot be verified or disputed. Heaven forbid asking you to read, understand and apply audio research to what you do. What do you think is wrong with saying, "the mid-range did not sound natural to me. It seemed overboosted as we see in the frequency response measurements." Or "the off-axis response of this loudspeaker is poor meaning it will have high room dependency and you may want to strongly consider absorbing those side reflections as I had to do in my room to get them to sound good." Or as JA routinely does, "the broad low impedance at 45 Hz combined with high phase angle makes this loudspeaker very challenging to drive. Protection circuits may kick in at higher volumes and if momentary, cause colorations and if more than that, shut down of the amplifier. Speaker wire dependency also comes into equation as its impedance becomes a higher percentage of loudspeaker's. Research shows that we are sensitive to as low as 0.5 db when there are broad frequency response variations caused by such low impedance and interaction with loudspeaker wire."

In other words, subjective remarks grounded in how the technology works and the impact on the listener experience. Instead we are peppered with, "this is the best speaker I have heard in my system. It is my new reference. The wires in there are made by virgins on some tropic island and there is enough gold in the binding posts to make a necklace for your wife. The woofer is made out of this unobtanium material." This is what I call absurd. Stuff anyone here could write just as well and in most cases, without even listening to the thing and still be just as right.

You don't want checks and balances for what you write. I understand why you say it. But don't say your readers are a bunch of idiots and when given a chance to be both exposed to science of audio and your perceptions, prefer to only hear the latter. Learn the topic. Become an expert. Teach it in the right way and maybe you too have the results I am seeing in just a couple of days worth of discussion. Give the readership more credit please.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Accordng to the ABX DBT crowd and Harmon's own speaker testing, observations also count as "facts" if done in a controlled environment and repeated with the same results.

The larger problems are what to measure and then what the measurements mean. I don't think "we" have enough data to realistically address those problems. To use another (disliked) analogy to car enthusiast testing, few people would choose a street car based on any measured performance data, there are just too many unquantifiable subjective areas of car preference. Although we're looking at an entirely different type of choice here, I do think similar principles apply; as many appropriate, useful measurements as possible should be made, to be combined with subjective impressions described in as much useful detail as possible without veering off into a reviewer's ego tripping to prove himself worthy of the job.

FR measurements of speakers from all axis (which is tone, color, timber, and a dozen more audiophile euphemisms), backed up by blind listening tests in which the measurements repeatedly predicted preference is pretty good data. Sure, there are always other things that could be measured, and if we did we may even find out, for example, that great dynamic range is a huge preference driver. But do you really think anyone would prefer ragged mids with great dynamics over smooth, accurate mids with great dynamics? Do you think the lack of measurements and pref data about dynamics discounts the data we have?

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing