Oh jeez - M6, another super-speaker from Magico

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Hmm, I've seen members on that forum whose views don't align with the Forum owner disappear after being banned for life to send a message to other members not to post comments/threads which are critical of product lines the owner/admin carries. So at the very least, a thread like this on his forum would be on very thin ice from day

Fortunately there are no sacred cows in the industry at WBF, which makes for robust and interesting discussions. People who have a problem with that just need to grow a thicker skin.

We are all opinionated, and if you worry about stepping on someone's toes, what's the point of a debate in the first place? Nobody learns anything from an exchange of pleasantries.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Fortunately there are no sacred cows in the industry at WBF, which makes for robust and interesting discussions. People who have a problem with that just need to grow a thicker skin.

We are all opinionated, and if you worry about stepping on someone's toes, what's the point of a debate in the first place? Nobody learns anything from an exchange of pleasantries.
Yes I agree. I was just making a point about the pettiness on another forum. We're lucky here to have an open, unbiased and mature forum where audiophiles can discuss high end audio and other topics alongside Industry professionals in a mostly respectful manner. The name says it all....whatsBESTFORUM.....Audioshark. Yup. Ps: One qustion Al, who are the Sacred Cows?

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Yes I agree. I was just making a point about the pettiness on another forum. We're lucky here to have an open, unbiased and mature forum where audiophiles can discuss high end audio and other topics alongside Industry professionals in a mostly respectful manner. The name says it all....whatsBESTFORUM.....Audioshark. Yup. Ps: One qustion Al, who are the Sacred Cows?

Sacred cows? Anything that some people don't want criticized, which means pretty much everything. I can't believe that even tape was criticized recently on some thread, don't remember which one, something that would have been unthinkable a while ago.

I have become more open to vigorous discussion lately myself. I asked Ack yesterday to honestly report on my system thread his opinions about my speaker toe out, which he thankfully did, and this initiated a robust and I think interesting discussion. In previous times I might have craved more for just positive reports (he had enough positive to say anyway). That I don't really care anymore perhaps is part of a maturation as an audiophile.

I know that my system is darn good and accommodates my preferences, priorities and tastes, which is why I chose it in the first place. I also know all too well that it has shortcomings, like every system does to a greater or lesser extent, and that it will not necessarily accommodate all the tastes of others. So what, it's my damn system and not theirs. If someone doesn't like certain aspects of my sound that is, first, only natural as no system can please everyone in every aspect (hey, l don't find it perfect either myself, but I love it), and second, not my friggin problem.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Tim, I heard my first pair of Magico speakers called the V2 at a local dealer. I directly compared them to pairs of Verity and Rockport speakers, all three pairs selling for around $20-25K. We switched speakers around and the source from vinyl to digital. When we switched the speakers, the Magico had considerably more resolution and nuance with far greater spatial information than the other two. I had the sense that the other two were somehow restricting the information from the recording coming through. They lacked resolution and sounded colored to me. When we switched the source, the differences were more evident through the Magico than they were through the other brands.

Another time, I was at a demonstration of either the Magico Q3 or Q5. We switched from CD/HDCD to streaming HiRez to vinyl. The differences were much more clear and pronounced here than when people have demonstrated these kinds of differences with mediums to me before.

Going to shows, when I stopped by various rooms in which the same model speaker was demoed, in this case either a Magico S model or Q model, each room sounded quite different because the upstream gear was different while the rooms were more or less the same. At the same shows, when I stopped by rooms with other brands which also had the same model speaker or ones very similar, the rooms had a more similar sound.

Having learned my lesson from another recent thread, I'd rather not mention brand names and start a food fight. I'd prefer to focus on the topic of Magico in this thread and what I think this brand does well rather than criticize some other brand that people prefer. I'm sure many people disagree and that is fine. Some think it is all marketing and reviewer hype, that is fine too. This is my general impression of the brand as opposed to other brands that I have heard. I am not saying they are the most transparent or lowest in distortion and noise speakers available today. I'm just saying that in my mid level models range where I dwell, this has been my experience.

There have been a number of accounts here where people have shared their impressions that they have not liked Magico because of the brands of upstream gear, mostly electronics, that they have heard the speakers paired with. This argument has been made with many brands, but it supports the notion that one is listening to the amps, or cables, or source when listening to these speakers.

KeithR just completed an extensive year-long search for a replacement speaker. He does not like the Magico brand so did not include it in his list of brands to audition, but if he had, he could have shared a valuable perspective of how they sound relative to the very many other speakers he spent significant and quality time hearing.

Honestly, you seem quite interested in this thread and Magico in particular, yet you have written that you do not have much experience with the brand. Rather than taking my word for it or continuing to ask me what I think or how I would defend my opinion, I respectfully suggest you go out and hear a couple models for yourself. The Magico S5II and M2 models would be a good place to start, in my opinion.

Peter, I want to thank you for the follow-up with your listening examples. While I remain skeptical of some of your arguments (qua arguments, not facts), it has been interesting to read your comments and I appreciate both your zeal and the time you took to write. You are an ardent brand ambassador.

I am interested in this thread, mostly because of the Harley TAS review and its conclusions about the M6, along with reactions to it including yours. I feel obligated to keep up with certain sections and brands within 'the industry'. And yes, where I find the opportunity to hear the Magico models you mention, I will take it.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
I had the pleasure of spending an entire day with the M6’s at an event at Overture Audio. The folks who were running the event were very busy and were nice enough to let me run the demo of the M6’s in their high end room.

Let me tell you, the M6’s more than lived up to everything positive that Robert Harley wrote about them in his TAS review. The speakers entirely disappear like the best planars but retain much more precise imaging. Midrange and treble were as transparent as I’ve ever listened to without a hint of edge, which I’ve heard on some of the earlier Magico models. The bass was absolutely visceral with amazing articulation. Definitely one of the best speakers I’ve ever had the pleasure to listen to.

The best part of the day was meeting Dick Vermeil, who stopped in the room for the demo. He’s an incredibly nice man.

Ken

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter, I want to thank you for the follow-up with your listening examples. While I remain skeptical of some of your arguments (qua arguments, not facts), it has been interesting to read your comments and I appreciate both your zeal and the time you took to write. You are an ardent brand ambassador.

I am interested in this thread, mostly because of the Harley TAS review and its conclusions about the M6, along with reactions to it including yours. I feel obligated to keep up with certain sections and brands within 'the industry'. And yes, where I find the opportunity to hear the Magico models you mention, I will take it.

You are most welcome, Tim, and skepticism is a good thing, as far as I'm concerned. I don't know about being an ambassador for anything, but I do share your zeal for vinyl playback and for the vdH Master Signature. :)

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
So I choose to disagree that differences with Magico are more evident, that's all.

I haven't heard a high-end speaker yet through which I could not hear differences in downstream components. I remember the nights I spent (long ago) my ears next to the left channel of a pair of Thiel 1.5s with a CJ PV-5 and and a Hafler DH500, listening to differences between three interconnects.

I think it comes to more of a difference of degree - "more evident", "less evident" and various combinations of equipment. Amps can make a huge difference. Listen with a Berning Quadrature Z and you'll hear whether Dusty brushed with Colgate or Ipana. Wrt speakers, downstream component differences are usually pretty obvious, but differences of degree. Is there really a definitive sound of a component independent of a system? What's most important is does the conductor's interpretaton come through.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I had the pleasure of spending an entire day with the M6’s at an event at Overture Audio. The folks who were running the event were very busy and were nice enough to let me run the demo of the M6’s in their high end room.

Let me tell you, the M6’s more than lived up to everything positive that Jon Valin wrote about them in his TAS review. The speakers entirely disappear like the best planars but retain much more precise imaging. Midrange and treble were as transparent as I’ve ever listened to without a hint of edge, which I’ve heard on some of the earlier Magico models. The bass was absolutely visceral with amazing articulation. Definitely one of the best speakers I’ve ever had the pleasure to listen to.

The best part of the day was meeting Dick Vermeil, who stopped in the room for the demo. He’s an incredibly nice man.

Ken

This is a very nice report! (Although as a “planar person” I can’t be wholly unskeptical that “the [M6s] entirely disappear like the best planars.”)

Does Dick Vermeil work for Alon?

Reactions: tima

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
What a wonderful locution ! :)

You know, Ron, these double negatives are vacuous. Please don't call me a snooty-snogger.

Double negatives are vacuous. So I cannot call you a snooty-snogger, because you are not entirely incorrect. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: tima

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
This is a very nice report! (Although as a “planar person” I can’t be wholly unskeptical that “the [M6s] entirely disappear like the best planars.”)

Does Dick Vermeil work for Alon?

Thanks Ron,

As a former owner of both Apogee and Magnepan, I can assure you that they do. Dick does not live too far from Overture Audio and he purchased his entire McIntosh system there. I don’t think he works for Overture or Magico.

Ken

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Double negatives are vacuous. So I cannot call you a snooty-snogger, because you are not entirely incorrect. :D

roflmao

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) The speakers entirely disappear like the best planars but retain much more precise imaging. (...)

What planars are you exactly considering? The best disappearing acts I have ever listened with planars were the ESL63, and more than once. BTW, my concept of speaker disappearing includes making the walls of the room disappear, not just the speaker. If the room walls are still there I would call it speaker hiding. :)

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
What planars are you exactly considering? The best disappearing acts I have ever listened with planars were the ESL63, and more than once. BTW, my concept of speaker disappearing includes making the walls of the room disappear, not just the speaker. If the room walls are still there I would call it speaker hiding. :)

I’ve listened many times to most of the Apogee, Magnepan, Quad and Analysis Audio models. I owned Apogee and Magnepan for many years. Having spent several days with the M6’s, when you close your eyes, you cannot believe your listening to a cabinet speaker. Zero cabinet resonances or colorations. In fact, Overture Audio had the Magnepan 30.7’s set up and optimized in their adjacent Magnepan room at the same time. While the 30.7’s sounded outstanding in terms of soundstage and imaging, the M6’s beat them at their own game, providing an equally large soundstage but much more precise imaging of instruments and vocalists, while producing an equally large presentation of piano. Truly amazing loudspeakers.

Ken

Reactions: DeYoung

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I’ve listened many times to most of the Apogee, Magnepan, Quad and Analysis Audio models. I owned Apogee and Magnepan for many years. Having spent several days with the M6’s, when you close your eyes, you cannot believe your listening to a cabinet speaker. Zero cabinet resonances or colorations. In fact, Overture Audio had the Magnepan 30.7’s set up and optimized in their adjacent Magnepan room at the same time. While the 30.7’s sounded outstanding in terms of soundstage and imaging, the M6’s beat them at their own game, providing an equally large soundstage but much more precise imaging of instruments and vocalists, while producing an equally large presentation of piano. Truly amazing loudspeakers.

Ken

Ken, thanks for sharing your impressions. Can you tell us what the rest of the M6 system was and perhaps describe the room a bit? Thanks.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016

Ken

Thanks for sharing. It sounds like the M6 is indeed the “holy grail “ for many in terms of loudspeakers.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Ken, thanks for sharing your impressions. Can you tell us what the rest of the M6 system was and perhaps describe the room a bit? Thanks.

Hi Peter,

Overture had the Esoteric Grandioso system on the M6’s. K1 Player/G1 Clock, preamp and monoblocks. It was set up in their high-end room, approximately 30 x 20 feet with a high ceiling. Many tube traps and some other acoustic treatments in the room.

Ken

Reactions: PeterA

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Thanks for sharing. It sounds like the M6 is indeed the “holy grail “ for many in terms of loudspeakers.

You’re welcome. The M6’s aren’t perfect but they’re close. ;)

Ken

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdp632

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing