Oh my, oh my - Aries Cerat Helene DAC

I can't stay silent - today we received Helene DAC, "baby" DAC from Aries Cerat. What a baby, what a beauty. From the very fist second the sound was sublime, digital rarely gets better than this - in form of Kassandra DAC only probably. I am not saying this lightly, just compare Helene to all the big guns, you would be surprised. Rich, transparent sound, real body of instruments, timbre to die for, as analog as possible, but most importantly, natural music flow, touching your heart and soul. Be warned, after listening you might need to sell some very expensive equipment. But there is solution - you buy Kassandra LE, thus may be less painful.

Use some solo drums music, if your bass is moving forward you're in the right phase. if the phase is wrong, you will most likely hear less bass in the room

Reactions: abeidrov
I thought the right phase can also depend on a recording. I’ve tried to switch phase using my preamp many times on different tracks, but so far has not found a recording where it makes a significant difference.

I thought the right phase can also depend on a recording. I’ve tried to switch phase using my preamp many times on different tracks, but so far has not found a recording where it makes a significant difference.
I didn't say it sounds worse, sometimes bass cancellations due to wrong phase can be an advantage because they excite room modes less. check out roger waters amused to death right phase and wrong phase. the q sound recording only works spectacularly through phase shifting.
reverse the poles of both loudspeakers for fun and listen

Reactions: abeidrov
The Helene inverts phase. So both outputs (RCA and XLR ) are inverted, not just RCA.

The difference between correct and wrong phase should be audible.

The reason we ask users to try both and see why they like is, because sometimes their speakers(or amps) are inverted, so using the dac as it (that is inverting) the result is correct phase.

If you do not hear difference, i would not worry about it:) Usually transients would sound off , and stage collapse when your system has wrong acoustic phase.

Best
Stavros

Reactions: Stef
I didn't say it sounds worse, sometimes bass cancellations due to wrong phase can be an advantage because they excite room modes less. check out roger waters amused to death right phase and wrong phase. the q sound recording only works spectacularly through phase shifting.
reverse the poles of both loudspeakers for fun and listen
Thanks, I’ll try that. Do you think that reversing poles of speakers and using a phase switch of the preamp is the same?

Reactions: DasguteOhr
Thanks, I’ll try that. Do you think that reversing poles of speakers and using a phase switch of the preamp is the same?
If your analogue or digital signal sources all have the same phase at the output, it is easy to reverse the polarity of the loudspeakers. If they are different, it becomes more difficult, then it makes more sense to swap the phase switch on the pre or signal source (DAC). Only testing helps, e.g. The Sheffield/Xlo Test CD or the Image Hifi Test LP both have very good test titles.

Reactions: abeidrov and Stef
I've been using the AC Heléne for few weeks and it's really a beautiful component to add in any well balanced system. Few words come immediately to mind when listening to music through this DAC: organic sounding and texture of the voices / instruments. Bass are also solid. It's really addictive.

Attachments

• IMG_1061.jpeg
    IMG_1061.jpeg
    761.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0968.jpeg
    IMG_0968.jpeg
    638.3 KB · Views: 63
I've been using the AC Heléne for few weeks and it's really a beautiful component to add in any well balanced system. Few words come immediately to mind when listening to music through this DAC: organic sounding and texture of the voices / instruments. Bass are also solid. It's really addictive.
Nice … The Helene is one of those entry level products that has benefited from previous developments found in the higher level sibling Kassandra DAC’s … Almost too well considering the RRP ;)

Nice … The Helene is one of those entry level products that has benefited from previous developments found in the higher level sibling Kassandra DAC’s … Almost too well considering the RRP ;)
I agree. Nevertheless size / weight management was also an important point for me. The other AC DAC being much bigger, this one has the perfect balance between sound / technology / size...

Reactions: Argonaut
The Helene inverts phase. So both outputs (RCA and XLR ) are inverted, not just RCA.

The difference between correct and wrong phase should be audible.

The reason we ask users to try both and see why they like is, because sometimes their speakers(or amps) are inverted, so using the dac as it (that is inverting) the result is correct phase.

If you do not hear difference, i would not worry about it:) Usually transients would sound off , and stage collapse when your system has wrong acoustic phase.

Best
Stavros
I have tried both and several times. Also asked an audiophile friend to help me experiment the 2 phases...
Our findings are that inverted phase for Heléne (red on red for speakers) sounds more relaxed and that the correct phase (red on black for speakers) sounds more lively and upbeat. Just a question of preference I guess... IMO It doesn't change the Heléne DAC fantastic tonal balance or the beautiful clarity, just slightly the dynamics. To keep it simple (listening to other sources) I keep the inverted phase

Reactions: Argonaut
A question for the knowledgeable. My AC Helene runs into my VTL 7.5 III pre which runs into my Dart NS18 Model 2 amp. I'm currently using Mogami Platinum XLRs, and I'd like to do better. I thought I read somewhere that the Inakustik 1204/2404 line is a great place to start, but wondering what other XLR cables any of you've had good luck with.
Thanks

A question for the knowledgeable. My AC Helene runs into my VTL 7.5 III pre which runs into my Dart NS18 Model 2 amp. I'm currently using Mogami Platinum XLRs, and I'd like to do better. I thought I read somewhere that the Inakustik 1204/2404 line is a great place to start, but wondering what other XLR cables any of you've had good luck with.
Thanks
IMHO Inakustik cables are good-buys with nice cost-performance ratios.
However they emphasize neutrality so if you treasure musicality more, they may not be your cups of tea.

I guess I always thought XLR connections were the best connection. Definitely worth a shot, as I'll be the first to say, "I've been wrong before"...
Thanks!

Taking delivery on a Helene in the next few weeks, feedback here has been helpful. Be interested to hear what sources folks are running to their Helene DACs.

Not wanting to upset the apple cart - I would check, you may find the Helene sounds best on RCA output. Try it and see, the VTL has single ended inputs.
I also find that the Heléne sounds best on RCA output (while I use XLR for all my other gears) - more dynamic, wider soundstage and more transparent. I don't know why honestly... Maybe the XLR output uses a transfo and the RCA is more "pure" ?

Reactions: skids929

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing