Oscars 2019 | Discussion: Speculation - Prediction - Film/Actor Critic Opinion

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Thanks for posting. A very interesting perspective.

Those pieces are huge parts of Kareem's much heralded life as one of the greatest players the NBA has ever seen

Reactions: jeff1225

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Here is a guy who had the balls to say that Green Book was a bad film because it didn't get racism "right". Whose the racist now Mr. Lee?
His histrionics at the podium were despicable. Unless I missed it, at least he doesn't call his movies a "Spike Lee Joint" anymore, one of the most self-aggrandizing shams in the history of movie making. Too bad. Some of his stuff such as Malcolm X and Do The Right Thing were outstanding films.

He said that " it was the wrong call by the ref" ... meaning > not the 2018 Best Picture in his book.

I agree that his attitude @ the Oscars doesn't reflect grace and acceptance. That makes him an easy target for the members of the Academy in losing their votes. It has been for some years; one of the reasons he finally got his first Oscar last Sunday, on the edge.

This year's films are loaded with history; extravaganza, sex, racism, injustice, orientation, culture, a world of distinction ... I mean dysfunction. Green Book is a "good feel" movie and that's what the Academy voters went for...bravo. Roma is a more intimate portrait, of beauty, serenity, compassion, truthfulness, faithfulness and simplicity. It was a tough sell for the film Academicians to vote for. They aren't used to slow moving pace personal stories from Mexico, I think; in addition of El Chapo's latest "state of the affairs". I don't know, maybe a little bit of it.

Anyway all is excellent because our happiness is higher today than it was yesterday, for me it certainly is ... everything is normally beautiful. The more I see the more beauty is revealed, the more I hear the more sweet music enters my soul, the more I read the more my imagination is @ peace, the more I learn the more expanded my mind in the universe.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

"Unless they're making a documentary, filmmakers are history’s interpreters, not its chroniclers. Green Book interprets the sea of historical events to reveal a truth relevant to today: Resist those who would tell you to know your place. This is true whether it’s about race, gender identity, religion, nationality, body type or anything else that hateful and irrational people use to shame or hinder others in their pursuit of happiness."

Good writing, article.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Is it only me, but I'm pretty serious in thinking Mission Impossible should have been on the Best Picture shortlist, and should have won.

I can't think of a poorer shortlist in living memory. As someone said, the industry purely talking to itself.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Is it only me, but I'm pretty serious in thinking Mission Impossible should have been on the Best Picture shortlist, and should have won.

I can't think of a poorer shortlist in living memory. As someone said, the industry purely talking to itself.

Yes, isn't this the one where he gets his initial instructions in a vinyl shop? Definitely it should have won. Tom cruise owns OMA TT, so he should be given best performance too

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Just for you Ked ...

Marc, 'Mission: Impossible - Fallout' had zero Oscar nomination. I just don't know what happened.
https://qz.com/quartzy/1509190/miss...-should-be-a-2019-oscar-best-picture-nominee/

But 'Free Solo' won (Best Documentary Feature). Try to locate it and you'll see that Tom Cruise is no match...not even close. MI-6 was certainly entertaining as action flick goes. ...Like Black Panther, except that the later had an impacting message, but did not win Best Picture...still, three Oscars...I was surprised.

Action films are . . . different. They are in a category of their own. But MI6 didn't make the cut @ the Oscars and I just don't know why exactly.
I was also surprised that 'The Favourite' (sex caprices) got only one Oscar, and an unexpected one @ that, but very lovey..."It's hilarious...I got an Oscar".

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I didn't like the movie. I was just making a reference to his audiophilia

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Reactions: jeff1225

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Blackkklansman is not an Osvaer caliber movie. He should take that Oscar and give it to himself for Malcolm X. Then Donlad Trump would have something to crow about.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
BlacKkKlansman is a political film in this political climate. It's a statement about blacks versus whites, about the KKK, about what happened in 2018 in a certain town of a certain state.
It's about the reactions from the people in power. It's not a pleasant joy ride, not a feel good road trip movie...just the exact opposite...it feels oppressive, extremely uncomfortable, violent, with unwarranted deep deep hatred.

It's a sarcasm, a sad satire, an over-the-top sci-fi comedy closest to reality. ...Figure of speech.
It's not a family friendly romance, not a nice walk in the park.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
'A Star Is Born' was also nominated for Best Picture, and Best Director too, plus more.
It won the Oscar for Best Original Song.
Here's your chance again to see the film with an additional twelve minutes:
https://globalnews-ca.cdn.ampprojec...05285/a-star-is-born-movie-extended-new-song/

This is the film that made over ten times plus (x12) what its budget was:
https://www-cosmopolitan-com.cdn.am...rtainment/a26549522/bradley-cooper-net-worth/

Compared to 'Green Book' (4 stars out of 5, my own score), 'A Star Is Born' is a 3.5-star movie in my book, and I am generous. I do like the song, I'm glad it got the Oscar. But I prefer the music in the film 'Cold War' and by a very very wide margin...that's me and the music inside.

If you want a film that has "vitamins" ... the music essence; watch 'Cold War' instead of 'A star Is Born'. The later is popstart, the former is upheart.

* Today is a good day, I mean a very good day.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing