Oscars 2019 | Discussion: Speculation - Prediction - Film/Actor Critic Opinion

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Like I said, various views ...
https://www.thestar.com/amp/enterta...green-book-but-agreea-star-is-born-sucks.html

The woman voter seems to be more sensitive, more open, with a more clearer vision.
...Except for The Favourite. But some Canadian people have a strong penchant for British queens.
And for the Brits The Favourite was certainly their favorite for all the awards it got @ BAFTA.
But even them voted Roma as the Best Film.
_____

* https://www.thestar.com/amp/enterta...key-to-sundays-oscar-best-picture-winner.html

I'm going to say this here; I would be very surprised if Green Book wins Best Picture.
So I don't really trust other people's eyes when it comes to Best Picture of 2018.
No doubt, Roma is it. If they see it, good, if they don't, be it.some

And if some see Netflix as a problem, or the Spanish language as an issue, or the slow and boring paste of this black and white Mexican movie as not a true contender for 2018 Best Picture; it's not the film, not the director, none of this where a problem is, it's not being able to see it. IMHO ...I have nothing against that, zero.

Last edited:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Whose the favorite for "Best Token Performance Inciting Academy Guilt Reparations"? Isn't Harvey Weinstein getting a nomination for "Best Pending Felon Performance"?

Reactions: bonzo75

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Just for fun: https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddr...heres-whats-inside/ar-BBTXozE?ocid=spartandhp

And the order of the Oscar's presentation:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Olivia Colman? Wow. Not deserving in my book and I really enjoyed The Favourite.

Glenn Close got screwed.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Well, they got best picture right by not giving it to Roma.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Well surprise, surprise Bob

Like I said watch for Green Book to steal the award that you for months stated was going to Roma

Roma deserved Best Foreign film and nothing more IMHO

Bohemian Rhapsody was the big winner and Rami Malek deserved the award

Reactions: dminches

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Happy for Rami Malek even though I thought Bradley Cooper doing his own singing would edge him out. Delighted by Green Book's win. Imagine that. A clean, moving story and wonderful movie you can take your family and children to see without feeling embarrassed. Good for Green Book! Sad for Glenn Close as Olivia Coleman's performance in a totally mediocre movie was an undeserved win, at least for me.

Hated the usual political bully pulpit stuff, especially from Spike Lee.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Well, they got best picture right by not giving it to Roma.

In my green book Roma was number one, but Green Book was number two, not far behind.
It is perfect as Roma got Foreign Film. So I'm happy for Green Book, I had couple tears in my eyes @ the film's end. Green Book is a very very good movie, with a good solid gold heart.

Cinematography I liked both Cold War and Roma.
Mexico is again well represented this year, with Alfonso Cuarón.

Wow, Black Panther did just fine tonight.

I was surprised by Bohemian Rhapsody getting the most Oscars, four.

In all retrospect my two favorite films did fine.
I was off with both my predictions and personal preferences overall.

I'll do better next year ...

* Happy for Free Solo. And happy overall for the outcome; you win some you lose some.
I'm sure everyone's feeling the same. And there is always next year, if we're lucky enough to get there for the 2020 Oscar awards (2019 year).

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Well surprise, surprise Bob

Like I said watch for Green Book to steal the award that you for months stated was going to Roma

Roma deserved Best Foreign film and nothing more IMHO

Bohemian Rhapsody was the big winner and Rami Malek deserved the award

I must admit Steve, you are a better film player than I; it's one of your forte, among a multitude of others. I said it too in the past; you are the top moviegoer here @ WBF.

Looking forward to some New Zealand photos.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Happy for Rami Malek even though I thought Bradley Cooper doing his own singing would edge him out. Delighted by Green Book's win. Imagine that. A clean, moving story and wonderful movie you can take your family and children to see without feeling embarrassed. Good for Green Book! Sad for Glenn Close as Olivia Coleman's performance in a totally mediocre movie was an undeserved win, at least for me.

Hated the usual political bully pulpit stuff, especially from Spike Lee.

Unfortunately, the back lash parade has already began - see LA Times critic.

I'm with you- a great movie that was actually enjoyable unlike The Artist, Birdman, Moonlight, Shape of Water, etc. Critics are so full of themselves.

I think this year's somewhat sad slate lacked a timeless, without peer movie so an enjoyable one winning was ok with me.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Keith, you are a critic. :)

* I'm on the same page of the same book as you all (Steve, Marty and you), with Green Book.

** As for Spike Lee, he gets too agitated too easily, I think he needs some quality vacation time in Venezuela, for his next film.

Last edited:

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
A very ho hum night as I expected at last nights Oscar's. As I had previously noted it had been a very weak year for quality movies. For the most part I enjoyed most of the Best Picture nominees but I didn't believe any of them stood out as great film. Entertaining most of the them, but none of them exceptional.

Out of that group "Greenbook" was almost the winner by default.

In the Best Actress category Glenn Close should have won. I think Olivia Coleman is a fine actress as she has proved in "Broadchurch" and "The Night Manager". The Academy seems to enjoy over the top performances such as Coleman's in "The Favorite" over the understated role by Close in "The Wife".

In the Best Supporting Actor category all of the performances were worthy of the award. Mahershala Ali's belongs in the current group of A list actors. Not only was he excellent in Greenbook but his acting in "House of Cards", "Moonlight" and "True Detective" has been compelling.

In Best Supporting Actress I have no issue with Regina King's win other than her part in "If Beale Street Could Talk" was not as meaty as those of either Rachel Weisz or Emma Stone in "The Favorite". I would have chosen "Weisz".

Rami Malek deserved his win for his role as Freddie Mercury but then again I won't take anything away from Christian Bale.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Unfortunately, the back lash parade has already began - see LA Times critic.

I'm with you- a great movie that was actually enjoyable unlike The Artist, Birdman, Moonlight, Shape of Water, etc. Critics are so full of themselves.

I think this year's somewhat sad slate lacked a timeless, without peer movie so an enjoyable one winning was ok with me.
Keith, Birdman is hands down the most pretentious film I've ever seen. The Oscar hype made me burn $15.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Olivia Colman? Wow. Not deserving in my book and I really enjoyed The Favourite.

Glenn Close got screwed.

I've always enjoyed Colman (Hot Fuzz, Broadchurch, etc) but she is a character actor and I don't see how her role in The Favourite was anything but a co-star. I absolutely loved the odd movie but I'm very surprised it won for anything. Close did indeed get screwed.

Reactions: dminches

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing