Oscars 2019 | Discussion: Speculation - Prediction - Film/Actor Critic Opinion

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Last evening 'Cold War' won the American Society of Cinematographers Award (ASC).
? https://www.shootonline.com/news/lukasz-zal-wins-asc-award-cold-war

That makes it more interesting for the upcoming Oscars in exactly two weeks from today.
I mentioned it previously that the two very best films I saw this year were Roma and Cold War.

And by pure accidental coincidence of magic movie hazard, they are both black and white motion pictures. And not only that but they are also both Foreign films, one ('Roma') in Spanish and Mixtec (from Mexico), and the other ('Cold War') with six different languages spoken in the film; German, French, Russian, Italian, Polish and Croatian. And even more extraordinary is the screen aspect ratio of 'Cold War' which is 1.37:1 (4:3), the frame size of our old cathode tube TVs from when we were children in the 1950s. ...For both the size and the color (b&w).
It's like going back in time to when our parents grew up (some of us) from the late 1940s until the 1960s (the film covers that period of the cold war).

I'm not a film expert. My background is the arts, nature, film history, paintings, architecture and music. I'm also passionate in everything else in life, including supreme ultra high end high fidelity audio stereo.

By the way, speaking of audio and music (arts), 'Roma' has the best sound mix design of all the films I saw in 2018. It won't win the Oscar in that category for the simple reason of lack of awareness by most of the Academy voters. IMO

And the music in 'Cold War' is simply the best, period. ...The choral (voices), piano playing, jazz playing, orchestra, traditional, the opening, ...everything is masterfully executed to perfection...picture and sound (cinematography and music parts).

* If I was drop on an inhabited island in the middle of an ocean, those two films on a USB stick with my thin solar powered tablet (with USB port) and good integrated stereo speakers should be in my survival kit bag wirh me. ...This year.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Now: BAFTA
?https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2019/0210/1028714-the-bafta-winners-from-london/

Yes, the show is only tonight but the awards (some) are being given already and as we move along right now • https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...a-awards-2019-bohemian-rhapsody-a8772791.html

No surprise here:
Best documentary
Free Solo – WINNER

And because we are in London, with a UK film award ceremony, it's no surprise to see The Favourite leading in the number of awards winning right now. ...The big favourite to get the most awards with the most noninations, twelve.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
There we have it; BAFTA total final winners, all in black on white:
? https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-47157927

THE MAIN WINNERS
  • The Favourite - 7
  • Roma - 4
  • Bohemian Rhapsody - 2
  • Black Panther - 1
  • BlacKkKlansman - 1
  • Green Book - 1
  • Vice - 1
  • A Star is Born - 1
_____

The Favourite (#1) dominated the Bafta film awards on Sunday night, picking up seven awards out of 12 nominations.
_____

"Alfonso Cuarón's Roma (#2) also had a successful night picking up four prizes - best film, best director, best cinematography and best film not in the English language.

After winning best cinematography, Cuarón said: "Foreign is just a different colour, and colour complements each other, I'm very happy Bafta is honouring a story about a domestic worker of indigenous background.

"The specific colour of this film is Mexico, so I want to thank also Mexico."
_____

"Rami Malek won the best actor prize for his portrayal of Freddie Mercury in Bohemian Rhapsody (#3). The film also won best sound."
_____

Good cleanup to 'The Favourite', Bravo!

Next, the Academy Oscars.

Last edited:

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I liked Green Book too, very.
But I liked Roma more.

If I look @ films without knowing anything behind them, what I just said is 100% how I felt watching them. And with the knowledge of behind the films, even more so.

The movie experts and the general public are not always on the same page; it's absolutely normal.
It's like a rock and roll music band versus a classical orchestral Opera music play.
What rocks our strings is what makes us sing. ...And dance.

If you and I we both enjoyed Green Book, I bet you'll enjoy Cold War too.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I liked Green Book too, very.
But I liked Roma more.

If I look @ films without knowing anything behind them, what I just said is 100% how I felt watching them. And with the knowledge of behind the films, even more so.

The movie experts and the general public are not always on the same page; it's absolutely normal.
It's like a rock and roll music band versus a classical orchestral Opera music play.
What rocks our strings is what makes us sing. ...And dance.

If you and I we both enjoyed Green Book, I bet you'll enjoy Cold War too.

Cold War is on my to-see list.

I am not sure what makes someone a movie "expert." Maybe they have more knowledge about how a movie is made and the behind the scenes stuff but in the end the movie's job is to tell a good story well.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Very good question; someone with the eyes and ears of an eagle, of an angel, with a sharp angle? Someone with the knowledge in the arts of filmmaking?
Beats me, I just follow my own instinct like everyone else.
_____

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I knew that was a bad move, very very bad move.
? https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/a...resident-issues-statement-2019-oscars-1185826

You reward the art of filmmaking universally or you stay home inside your own little enclaved bubble with your clowns.
I'm talking to the America society of filmmakers and cinematographers and film editors here.

The Oscars for the best of the best is not a Mickey mouse house affair.
Get a grip Hollywood, follow the program.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Few additions and changes ...

Lead Actor:

Christian Bale, “Vice”
Bradley Cooper, “A Star Is Born”
Willem Dafoe, “At Eternity’s Gate”
Rami Malek, “Bohemian Rhapsody” ?
Viggo Mortensen, “Green Book”

Adapted Screenplay:

“The Ballad of Buster Scruggs,” Joel Coen , Ethan Coen
“BlacKkKlansman,” Charlie Wachtel, David Rabinowitz, Kevin Willmott, Spike Lee ?
“Can You Ever Forgive Me?,” Nicole Holofcener and Jeff Whitty
“If Beale Street Could Talk,” Barry Jenkins
“A Star Is Born,” Eric Roth, Bradley Cooper, Will Fetters

Original Screenplay:

“The Favourite,” Deborah Davis, Tony McNamara ?
“First Reformed,” Paul Schrader
“Green Book,” Nick Vallelonga, Brian Currie, Peter Farrelly
“Roma,” Alfonso Cuarón
“Vice,” Adam McKay

Costume Design:

“The Ballad of Buster Scruggs,” Mary Zophres
“Black Panther,” Ruth E. Carter
“The Favourite,” Sandy Powell ?
“Mary Poppins Returns,” Sandy Powell
“Mary Queen of Scots,” Alexandra Byrne

Film Editing:

“BlacKkKlansman,” Barry Alexander Brown
“Bohemian Rhapsody,” John Ottman
“Green Book,” Patrick J. Don Vito
“The Favourite,” Yorgos Mavropsaridis
“Vice,” Hank Corwin ?

Production Design:

“Black Panther,” Hannah Beachler
“First Man,” Nathan Crowley, Kathy Lucas
“The Favourite,” Fiona Crombie, Alice Felton ?
“Mary Poppins Returns,” John Myhre, Gordon Sim
“Roma,” Eugenio Caballero, Bárbara Enr??quez

Original Score:

“BlacKkKlansman,” Terence Blanchard
“Black Panther,” Ludwig Goransson
“If Beale Street Could Talk,” Nicholas Britell ?
“Isle of Dogs,” Alexandre Desplat
“Mary Poppins Returns,” Marc Shaiman, Scott Wittman

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
By the number$ ... for Best Picture

? https://www.goldderby.com/article/2019/2019-oscars-best-picture-nominees-made-most-money-profit/amp/

The two biggest money makers @ the box office were ...
1. Black Panther (Made $1.35 billion) - Cost = $200+ million
2. Bohemian Rhapsody (Made $850 million) - Cost = $50 million

And the two that made the less and went under ... (cost more to make than what they reap) ...
1. Roma (Made $4 million) - Cost = $15 million
2. Vice (Made $57 million) - Cost = $60 million
_____

How relevant are those numbers in relation to Best Picture?
Zero relevance. They actually seems to follow the exact opposite direction.
It's the same with Best Music ... the music we like best is not the music that sells most.

Do you agree with this assessment?
_____

Extra: Keep your cool in check @ all times, never lose your temper and don't let your emotions and wrong judgement take over by making the wrong calls with devastating actions and results.
With movies some people take this sport very seriously...money and culture and artistic merits etc.
It is also true with other things of life, like music, like changes, like food, etc.

? https://ca.news.yahoo.com/amphtml/10-days-show-time-full-revolt-over-oscars-213133191.html

It's only a movie.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
If you were one of the 7,902 Academy voters from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS), how would you vote for the Oscar awards; with your heart, your brain, your art, your emotions, your logic, your instinct, your knowledge of the underground, your financial interest, your support for your friends, your values of life and principles, your political views, your cultural views, your anything else in life that influences you towards the best there is, the best you saw, the best you think, the best film, actor, actress, music score, everything related to films for the year 2018?

Is it the message, the messenger, the presentation, the pretty people, the pretty decors, the prêt tu costumes, the pretty CGI visual effects, the pretty mix of sound effects, the sceneries, the camera compositions, movements, focus, the pretty colors, the romance, the drama, the comics, the heroes, the real life stories, ... what makes you tick?

Who is right and who is wrong? What makes it wrong and makes it right; you, or everyone else?
What's more important; money or human values? ...Both?

What is the cinema art, what makes great actor and a great actress and a great film director and a great cinematographer?

Are films a waste of time like poetry? Are books and music more important?
Are comic cartoons good for our kids and us?
Are superhero comic books made into films valuable?
Are violent horror blood guns sex politics religions movies good for the brain and the soul of a man, woman and child?

What is the best love story film ever made?
What is your favorite romantic film?

Which film is going to win the Grand Prize for the year 2018 by being awarded the Oscar for Best Picture? If it is not the one you prefer yourself are you going to think that everyone is wrong and only you is right? Are you going to accept what the majority voted for?

? https://www-cbc-ca.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5024030?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1#referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/oscar-victory-campaigning-1.5024030

What is best?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I highly doubt it (from the stats, from logic and from choice...preference of the art and heart):
https://www.thestar.com/amp/enterta...hy-blackkklansman-might-win-best-picture.html
_____

* Bonus: https://www.vogue.co.uk/article/in-conversation-with-alfonso-cuaron
_____

Tomorrow night is the big night of the Oscars, are you going to watch if your favorites won?
Are you going to celebrate with champagne, cognac and Cuban cigars?

When everything is all done and gone which music album are you going to spin first;
Glenn Gould (Bach - Goldberg Variations), Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Frédéric Chopin - Piano Sonatas, John Coltrane - Blue Train/Giant Steps, Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, Patricia Barber - Modern Cool, Gustav Mahler, Dmitri Dmitriyevich Shostakovich, Debussy, Beethoven, Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, Igor Fyodorovich Stravinsky, Giuseppe Domenico Scarlatti, Pink Floyd - The Wall?

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
If only one picture could describe the entire world from your vision through your life's experience on this planet...say one from a film for example, a 2018 film? ...Any 2018 film, it doesn't have to be nominated @ the 91th Oscars.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing