Pacific dac: Lampizator's new top of the line dac

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Do you know why? :eek:
And if this can change some time in the near future?
Nope - a friend of mine from SIN wanted to order them actually yesterday and he asked guys/ladies in Lampi and got bummer. I also checked with them and zero pcs hidden around the cave. Why is that like this i know - limited series produced.
If there will be more - no idea..need to check with Yoda

Reactions: christoph

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Other than price, higher vacuum, zirconium coating, thicker glass, different shape.

I see you have an Allnic L5000 DHT. I’m currently auditioning an L9000 OTL/OCL. Pretty amazing piece.

The 3000/5000 are not good. I would love to hear the 9000/10000. I am a big fan of their phono and their amps are quite musical too

One 3000 preamp friend moved to Soulution (he kept his Allnic 3000 phono and A6000 power amp) and a 5000 preamp owner moved to the Nat magnetostat because it was much better. He owns the H5000 phono and a few others, and loves the Allnic brand, so it was just the preamps that these two moved away from. And those preamps were real weak links. But I would love to listen to 9000/10000 because they are OTL

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Nope - a friend of mine from SIN wanted to order them actually yesterday and he asked guys/ladies in Lampi and got bummer. I also checked with them and zero pcs hidden around the cave. Why is that like this i know - limited series produced.
If there will be more - no idea..need to check with Yoda
True, Lukasz informed me today about approx 3 month time for delivery of 242 RK.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
I had got the 242 over to yours. It didn't work in your set up. If you want to try it again, either if you change your integrated, or you can get Lukasz to add the 242 resistor to your Pac.

The RK 242 you can try but it will be different.

Do you think 242 RK will be a better match than EML 45 MG ? I won't ask Lukasz for the extra resistor, it would reduce the resale value of my Pac. From the other hand my Cross III was checked after your visit and they replaced some caps and resistors, I am still quite happy with it.
They also measured the A62 B power tubes, they are in perfect condition after 6 years of use.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Do you think 242 RK will be a better match than EML 45 MG ? I won't ask Lukasz for the extra resistor, it would reduce the resale value of my Pac. From the otehr hand my Cross III was in service after your visit and they replaced some caps and resistors, I am still quite happy with it.
They also measured the A62 B power tubes, they are in perfect condition after 5 yers of use.

Not sure why resale will get reduced. Your Pac will still suit all valves like now.

I don't know about the 242 RK. But it will be a different valve, is what I am saying. The KR and RK versions of 300b and PX25 are quite different. The KR 242 has an unique gain and some characteristics that make it quite fussy, the RK will have different characteristics. The numbers in the name don't matter.

The PX25 in your set up did not sound as good as PX25 can do in some other set ups. So this is all quite trial dependent and you cannot say if RK 242 will be better in yours or not compared to Lampi 45 based on how it compares at someone else. You will just have to try.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
True, Lukasz informed me today about approx 3 month time for delivery of 242 RK.
Thanks for the info.
So I have to be double careful with mine :oops:
I think I just let them in my Pacific :p

Reactions: marslo

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Cross III was checked after your visit and they replaced some caps and resistors,

What problem did you have with your Cross3? :eek:

They also measured the A62 B power tubes, they are in perfect condition after 6 years of use.

That is good to know because the A62 B are rather expensive to replace, I guess :oops:
I don't know how many hours are on mine because I bought it 2nd hand...

I am still quite happy with it.

Have you ever tried something flea watt like 300B, 2A3 or 45 SET?
That could work wonderfully with your Avantgarde Duo Mezzo with 108dB sensitivity and the powered subs :cool:

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Some minor flaws due to the bad shape of 2-3 tubes in pre section plus replacement of several regulators or so, do not remember precisely.
And yes, I would like to try different SET integrated but apart from Amare Musica I did not find in Polish distribution demo units available.
Line Magnetic could be one of them but the distribuotr is at Czech border, 6 h drive from my place . And it's heavy....
Maybe KR Audio 300 B or Mastersound 845 could be interesting but I am not sure they are better, rather different.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Some minor flaws due to the bad shape of 2-3 tubes in pre section plus replacement of several regulators or so, do not remember precisely.
How did those flaws indicate themselves?
Are you using new tubes in the pre section now?
Why did the regulators had to be replaced?
Did you send the Cross3 to Ayon or did a local techie have a look at it?

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
How did those flaws indicate themselves?
Are you using new tubes in the pre section now?
Why did the regulators had to be replaced?
Did you send the Cross3 to Ayon or did a local techie have a look at it?

I am so busy last month that truly I cannot remember exactly the flaws , as I had the whole set of pre tubes at home I replaced all of them at once after the guy said 1 or 2 tubes were faulty.
It was the independent engineer who used to work before for Nautilus in Krakow, the Polish Ayon distributor.
He said he had to change some parts but I did not pay attention what he did precisely , all together it was not expensive.

Last edited:

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
The 3000/5000 are not good. I would love to hear the 9000/10000. I am a big fan of their phono and their amps are quite musical too

One 3000 preamp friend moved to Soulution (he kept his Allnic 3000 phono and A6000 power amp) and a 5000 preamp owner moved to the Nat magnetostat because it was much better. He owns the H5000 phono and a few others, and loves the Allnic brand, so it was just the preamps that these two moved away from. And those preamps were real weak links. But I would love to listen to 9000/10000 because they are OTL
Yes, I'd say the 9000/10000 are worth a listen. Without compares at this level I can't say too much, but there is something definitely right about what I'm hearing. The OTL/OCL aspect seems to have merit without drawback in my system. Neutral, clear, dynamic, and musical.

Reactions: bonzo75

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I am so busy last month that truly I cannot remember exactly the flaws , as I had the whole set of pre tubes at home I replaced all of them at once after the guy said 1 or 2 tubes were faulty.
It was the independent engineer who used to work before for Nautilus in Krakow, the Polish Ayon distributor.
He said he had to change some parts but I did not pay attention what he did precisely , all together it was not expensive.
Thanks again

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
as all of you know my amps are pure class A and as big s they are they are only 32 wpc. I have found that the KR242 with its raw brute strength has awakened my system and brought the sound quality to a level I never thought I could achieve. That is why I have been lazy as to trying the RK-KR PX25 tubes
+1 can fully attest to the above regarding the KR242

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
I have a 4 yr old much modded GG1. I had quite a few issues with it after an upgrade to take 242s and almost gave up on it, Ked persuaded me to persevere. After numerous repair trips it sounds wonderful. The KR anniversary 5U4G and KR 242s have proved to be an excellent combination .
I have just finished building a new server for it which has added a few more degrees of realism. Am awaiting a dual rail Paul Hynes SR7 computer power supply which, hopefully, will give another uptick in SQ.

Switch over to the RK5u4g , you'll be rewarded with many more layers of goodness

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
I don’t post much. But my Lampi Pac DAC was (I believe) the first real PAC DAC Yoda built It was brought to Axpona and sent to me after the show to evaluate in my system. (Thanks Fred and Lukasz). Once it was installed in my system it was easy to tell the difference between it and my GG Balanced. The GGB was an excellent DAC as was the Level 5, Big 7 and Big 7B I owned previously. I was even allowed to borrow Fred’s first Amber DAC while one of my DACs was in Poland for an update.
To shorten the story I arranged the purchase of the PAC DAC and still love it. It was built with different tubes then any other modern PAC Dacs which Lukasz dubbed “MIG tubes” because they were made for that infamous Russian fighter.
I’ve enjoyed rolling rectifiers but I cannot roll the Migs as they aren’t the usual DHTs.
But I can say being “stuck” with one set of output tubes has never been an issue as no matter how I’ve configured my system or changed out other components (servers, all types of cables, linear power supplies, you name it) I’ve never been saddened because I can’t roll tubes.
My PAC DAC always presents the music in a swirl of colors, textures, spatial cues, images, transients and all of those audiophile terms we salivate over.
Are the MIG tubes better than the DHTs many argue over on this site? Probably not. But no matter, the Lampizator sound acoustically lights up my room as only the fabled Pharos lighthouse once lit the ancient Mediterranean skies.
And I know Lukasz strives to provide this experience to all Lampi owners no matter which DAC they own.
I like the acoustically lighting up bit.. indeed !!!

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
as all of you know my amps are pure class A and as big as they are they are only 32 wpc. I have found that the KR242 with its raw brute strength has awakened my system and brought the sound quality to a level I never thought I could achieve. That is why I have been lazy as to trying the RK-KR PX25 tubes

This post has mad me feel really quite sad.

The thing is you can't know what's what and what 242 is giving you relative to other possibilities until you try.

And no, Ked, I am not digging at 242, but merely trying to help Steve realise what he has and now different flavours of sound can be appreciated.

That said, everyone is entitled to behave as they wish. But I think a visit from someone with good Lampi experience and a selection of decent valves would be really beneficial.

Ked get yourself round there;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: gian60

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

The thing is you can't know what's what and what 242 is giving you relative to other possibilities until you try.

And no, Ked, I am not digging at 242, but merely trying to help Steve realise what he has and now different flavours of sound can be appreciated.

That said, everyone is entitled to behave as they wish. But I think a visit from someone with good Lampi experience and a selection of decent valves would be really beneficial.

I don't disagree that Steve should try other valves.

You should too, now that you have upgraded your preamp.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

I get it. I truly get it. What you don’t get is I’m not a tube roller. I look for the most natural sound and typically stick with that. The KR/42 gives me all of that plus the dynamics and oomph to bring my system alive. Having said that I will try the RK-KR PX25 this week

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I don't disagree that Steve should try other valves.

You should too, now that you have upgraded your preamp.

Crazy post. I have been through all I own again as you have been told.

My DAC has a mod to send 242 into meltdown, though. So I have missed that one out.

:D

Sorry Steve just keeping Ked on his toes;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing