Panzerholz - its application in audio systems

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Do you know where to buy little amount of Panzerholz in Europe?
but you know how expensive that is? 20mm thickness currently costs 350€ per square meter. this is a minimum purchase quantity of 2.2sqm from a wood dealer. maybe you can find leftover sections on ebay much cheaper. Dealer germany

davenrk

Nov 27, 2020
but you know how expensive that is? 20mm thickness currently costs 350€ per square meter. this is a minimum purchase quantity of 2.2sqm from a wood dealer. maybe you can find leftover sections on ebay much cheaper. Dealer germany
yes I know but I need only a small platform so I'm asking here....

davenrk

Nov 27, 2020
I had some made for personal use by the same Italian firm that manufactured our exhibition furniture.
Hi, could you tell me please the name of the italian furniture firm you mentioned?
thank you

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
be careful when shipping wood products. maybe within the EU it's not an issue. but importing wood into the USA has certain requirements. as i own 22 panzerholtz Daiza's, and Tana LPS panzerholtz chassis too, these were all shipped to me and from time to time had issues on this account. this was in cardboard packaging, but were wood products, so it was an issue. you just need the manufacturer/shipper to have the proper documentation to begin with. many times the documentation must be from the source of the wood, not the product manufacturer, and that can be complicated as the manufacturer might need to do some digging to find it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taiko Audio

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
be careful when shipping wood products. maybe within the EU it's not an issue. but importing wood into the USA has certain requirements. as i own 22 panzerholtz Daiza's, and Tana LPS panzerholtz chassis too, these were all shipped to me and from time to time had issues on this account. this was in cardboard packaging, but were wood products, so it was an issue. you just need the manufacturer/shipper to have the proper documentation to begin with. many times the documentation must be from the source of the wood, not the product manufacturer, and that can be complicated as the manufacturer might need to do some digging to find it.

Fun times :)

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
Does anyone have a source for any of these densified laminates in the USA, or even better, West Coast? I have searched endlessly, but have not found any.

Someone told me about phenolic paper laminates that are available here, but I haven't researched them thoroughly. I'm not sure they are equivalent, as they seem to be mostly resin as opposed to natural materials, so might perform more like plastic than wood.

I'm looking into rebuilding my open baffle speakers using something similar for the baffles.

Republicoftexas69

Republicoftexas69

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Could very well be.

It looked more like higher package weights increased the likelihood of closer inspections. Nowadays the situation has improved since electronically submitted documentation is more common and actually looked at by customs.

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
It looked more like higher package weights increased the likelihood of closer inspections. Nowadays the situation has improved since electronically submitted documentation is more common and actually looked at by customs.
Still not the norm in the UK though... But agreed: the bigger/heavier the package is, the more curious the customs get.

rpk

Aug 30, 2020
Germany
Hello,
here are some thoughts on the example of Panzerholz vs. aluminium of the audio tool manufacturer Lessloss =

best regards Rainer

PS: I am not related to Lessloss or their shareholder.

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Hello,
here are some thoughts on the example of Panzerholz vs. aluminium of the audio tool manufacturer Lessloss =

best regards Rainer

PS: I am not related to Lessloss or their shareholder.
Very interesting lecture. One thing I heard from friends in audio is that Panzerholz is a massive pain in the back to machine properly, while Al is one of the easiest.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing