Part-Time Audiophile Review & Reviewers Choice Award for the S2

songeraudio

Manufacturer Handmade Field Coil Speakers
Aug 3, 2022
Portland, OR
www.songeraudio.com
We are so pleased to share the first full review of the S2, written by the Editor-in-Chief of Part-Time Audiophile Marc Phillips, and published with his Reviewers Choice Award just this morning.

I'm left speechless by what Marc had to say. Having this work acknowledged by industry professionals with decades of experience in audio has been an incredibly rewarding experience for me. When Marc is ready at last to get off the high-end audio merry-go-round, we'll be here to build the last pair of speakers he'll ever need.

Cheers, friends.

Songer Audio S2 Field Coil Loudspeakers | REVIEW

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
We are so pleased to share the first full review of the S2, written by the Editor-in-Chief of Part-Time Audiophile Marc Phillips, and published with his Reviewers Choice Award just this morning.

I'm left speechless by what Marc had to say. Having this work acknowledged by industry professionals with decades of experience in audio has been an incredibly rewarding experience for me. When Marc is ready at last to get off the high-end audio merry-go-round, we'll be here to build the last pair of speakers he'll ever need.

Cheers, friends.

Songer Audio S2 Field Coil Loudspeakers | REVIEW
Well deserved Ken. I’m betting this will be the first of many accolades

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Ken,

I just realized an important question I should've asked you in our Zoom interview: why isn't the woofer in the S2 a field coil?

songeraudio

Manufacturer Handmade Field Coil Speakers
Aug 3, 2022
Portland, OR
www.songeraudio.com
Hi Ken,

I just realized an important question I should've asked you in our Zoom interview: why isn't the woofer in the S2 a field coil?
Time and cost constraints prevented it. John at Acoustic Elegance and I chatted in email years ago when I was in development of the S2 about jointly developing one, but we were both so busy we just didn't find the time to follow through. There are three projects that I find myself weighing to take on next, and the 15" field coil woofer is one of them... the two others are future speaker models.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Time and cost constraints prevented it. John at Acoustic Elegance and I chatted in email years ago when I was in development of the S2 about jointly developing one, but we were both so busy we just didn't find the time to follow through. There are three projects that I find myself weighing to take on next, and the 15" field coil woofer is one of them... the two others are future speaker models.
looking forward to hearing the fruits of your labor

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
the 15" field coil woofer is one of them... the two others are future speaker models.

I attended the Pretend School of Loudspeaker Design over the weekend, so I would love to see a 15 inch field coil woofer on the top and on the bottom, with two S1x drivers in the middle, all open baffle!

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I attended the Pretend School of Loudspeaker Design over the weekend, so I would love to see a 15 inch field coil woofer on the top and on the bottom, with two S1x drivers in the middle, all open baffle!
An open baffle with a modern low voltage field coil woofer is not a good idea. Field coils usually have a strong magnetic drive, which is counterproductive if you want full sound pressure at the cutoff frequency (FS driver). Of course you can lower the field coil voltage, but that is to the detriment of the load capacity (sound pressure). There is always a downside to the coin. Just take a bass driver with a quality qts 0.8-1.0 and listen happily with openbaffle. Don't think too complicated. Qtc.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing