Photo Critique and Edit Thread

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
"Prehistoric Mushroom Field?"
This was from our camping trip to the Bisti Badlands - New Mexico.
The hoodoos, which are common in this area are the geological outcome from a process called differential erosion.
Typically a small cap of the resistant layer remains, and protects a cone of the underlying softer layer from erosion, resulting in a mushroom or fairy tower formation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lee Henley

accwai

Jul 26, 2012
No, it was a standard Rodenstock 210MM I purchased in Switzerland from Sinar.

For this magnification it required two sets of bellows but otherwise no problems. I used a Broncolor Hazy Light bi-tube and with 4K of flash power it produced F90 at 1 meter so no problem with depth of field.

I take it that's a Sinar DB mounted lens then. In any case, I figure just because one has power and resolution to burn doesn't mean one should push hard. This is 1.2× on Canon 65mm MP-E:

EXIF says aperture was f/8 but effective aperture is much smaller at around f/18. So it's already borderline diffraction limited. Going beyond that, things start to soften across the frame real fast. The flip side though is this is a 12 frame focus stack. Without stacking, at this kind of magnificant one can't possibly get enough DOF at f/8. And it gets much worst from here. Macro is always a walk down the tight rope...

As for Broncolor, if I had more money than I know what to do with, I would certainly go for a small Para and light to drive it. Right now, an Elinchrom Deep Octabox does well enough:

Lens was Leica 60mm Macro-Elmarit-R on Canon EOS adapter.

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
Remembering Paris, 25 years ago.....

vindixon

Oct 29, 2012
Radnor, Pa
www.vincentdixon.com
A campaign that I shot for the Red Cross in Vietnam & Zimbawbe last year. It just picked up a Graphite Pencil at the D&AD awards.

Attachments

• RC-VIETNAM.jpeg
    RC-VIETNAM.jpeg
    441.4 KB · Views: 18
  • RC-ZIMBABWE.jpeg
    RC-ZIMBABWE.jpeg
    432 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: Direct Drive

Albertporter

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
www.albertporterphoto.com
I take it that's a Sinar DB mounted lens then. In any case, I figure just because one has power and resolution to burn doesn't mean one should push hard. This is 1.2× on Canon 65mm MP-E:

EXIF says aperture was f/8 but effective aperture is much smaller at around f/18. So it's already borderline diffraction limited. Going beyond that, things start to soften across the frame real fast. The flip side though is this is a 12 frame focus stack. Without stacking, at this kind of magnificant one can't possibly get enough DOF at f/8. And it gets much worst from here. Macro is always a walk down the tight rope...

As for Broncolor, if I had more money than I know what to do with, I would certainly go for a small Para and light to drive it. Right now, an Elinchrom Deep Octabox does well enough:

Yes, Sinar DB mount, I bought a matched set of Rodenstock 75MM, 90MM, 150MM, 210MM and 305MM from the factory. I wrote them a few months in advance and when my wife and I visited we picked them up.

When that shot was made there was no digital, at least not being used in commercial work and 4X5 and 8x10 were pretty much required to give printing house enough material to work with for best color and resolution.

The Bronclolor was bought for it’s splendid color accuracy and it’s ability to produce almost perfectly even light, typically within a fourth of an f stop.

So even though I could have used my Nikon, Leica or Hasselblad it was accepted that well paid jobs were expected to be delivered as large format.

An exception to that was when I did freelance work for Southwest Airlines, that 9 year period most of the magazine shots were either 35MM or Hasselblad since I was on location, doing pictures to tempt flyers to buy vacation packages from SWA.

The hardest part was not capturing images, but getting signed releases for both property and people that appeared in images.

accwai

Jul 26, 2012
Yes, Sinar DB mount, I bought a matched set of Rodenstock 75MM, 90MM, 150MM, 210MM and 305MM from the factory. I wrote them a few months in advance and when my wife and I visited we picked them up.

305mm is almost always interesting. The length is related to imperial unit so it's usually old design, like process lens or antique like this:

Yes, that's bi-pole sync connection o_O

Last edited:

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
Balanced Rock - Big Bend National Park.

We hiked to this site before sunset, and waited for the stars to come out (this area is one of the Darkest areas in the USA).
Hiking back with our headlamps on, we saw 1000's of beautiful green sparkles reflecting back at us along the dark trail.
Closer observation revealed they were the eyes of 1000's of small spiders, reflecting back from the light.
The spiders hatch this time of year!!
What a spooky night.....

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
It's real!
Taken at Balanced Rock at Big Bend.
I had my wife pose under the rock, while I added a little more light from my cell phone.
Foreground exposure was about 14 seconds at 1000ISO, Sky exposure was about 20 seconds at 5000ISO.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
It's real!
Taken at Balanced Rock at Big Bend.
I had my wife pose under the rock, while I added a little more light from my cell phone.
Foreground exposure was about 14 seconds at 1000ISO, Sky exposure was about 20 seconds at 5000ISO.
All the credit to your wife. No kidding. She multiplies the interesting ness of the picture by 100.

Reactions: gfroman

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
Remembering Antelope Canyon....
(Another with my wife)

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
"Stairway to Heaven" -
Another view from Antelope Canyon.

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
Another from Antelope Canyon....

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
"And I want to sleep with you in the desert tonight, with a billion stars all around....." - Eagles.
Big Bend National Park
One of the darkest places in the USA.

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
Remembering magical Meteora!
Centuries old monasteries in Central Greece.
The area of Meteora was originally settled by monks who lived in caves within the rocks during the 11th Century.
But as the times became more unsure during an age of Turkish occupation and lawlessness, they climbed higher and higher up the rock face until they were living on the inaccessable peaks where they were able to build by bringing material and people up with ladders and baskets and build the first monasteries.

Last edited:
Reactions: MPS and Vienna

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
"Dawn at Dead Horse Canyon"

Reactions: MPS and Barry2013

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing