Please recommend some Monoblock Amps

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
All fine and good but remember they are what other people like. They do not know your room, your biases, your musical preferences, etc.

You are fortunate that you have some local potential to actually audition options in your own system before deciding. That is very rare these days.

If that does not work, plan on attending an audio show or two. You will at least be able to see and hear other options with the caveat that you will be listening to an entire system in (likely) a marginalized listening environment. But you will be closer to making a more informed decision versus taking someone else's recommendation and throwing darts (your money) at a dart board. And you may meet some knowledgeable folks that can assist you with your decision.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Ah these are quite interesting. I was originally headed this way but could not see to find much lower watt ss amps that were not over 20k. Will add to the list for sure.
65 watt class a /8ohms is enough a lot of speakers ,but the interesting thing is that there is nothing left to modifiy*, WBT sockets, Furutech IEC, Alto Extremo footers and pure silver in the short signal path. just sit down and listen to music.
*Hard for a diy guy:confused:
Exsample pic tube pre and monoamps

A4e-Krefeld-1280_2048x2048.jpg

Socrates428

Nov 28, 2018
Pass Labs XA60.8 (new) are excellent, under your budget, and are a natural pairing for your preamp.

Otherwise, if open to tubes, a pair of VAC 200s or Rogue M180s (with current production Golden Lion input tubes) are both fantastic as well.

Tons of options in your price range, both good and bad...and always trade offs!

Sunra

Jul 16, 2018
Hello all,
Would love some advise of a couple of non-tube based monoblock amps. My budget is up to 18k. I am open to new or used.

Current system built -
Pass XP-20 pre
Technics SL G700 mk1 CD/SACD/Network
Kinki Studio stereo EX-M7(replacing with some monoblocks)
PureAudio Project Trio w/Coax - biwire/amp able
Rega P6 - tweaked out
All cabling Harmonic Technology

I listen most to CD/SACD, Dowloaded digital music, vinyl. Was looking for neutral with sliver of warm.

For reference, of my taste, my theater/multi SACD/DVDA is
Bryston B9^2
Cary Audio Cinema 12
Arcam FMJ 139 universal
Cambridge Audio CXU universal
Tannoy XT 8/6/C
All cabling Harmonic Technology
-would describe this as fairly neutral with a touch toward analytical.
My system is somewhat similar, with the Speakers being Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic with the Voxative PiFe FR driver. Preamplifier is the Pass Labs XP-12, and amplifier is the Pass Labs XA-25. The latter coasts along driving these open baffle speakers sounding natural and relaxed. If your heart is set on mono blocks for the PAP OB speakers I suggest the Pass Labs XA 60.8, but the XA-25 will more than get the job done. I should add if you are nearby an audition may be arranged. PM if interested.

Reactions: JasperJ

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
I have the PAP Quintet15 Coax on order, and have the Passlabs XA60.8s to drive them. Preamp is open at the moment, I will drive the Pass direct from the DAVE in preamp mode for a while.

I love the Passlabs amps, and the XA60.8 is a big and beefy set, and handles most any speaker with ease. The PAP Duo15 and Quintet15 are 96dB efficient so 'can' run with tiny tube amps. But there are some who love big amps, even with high efficiency speakers, and like what they do, so I say if you can go for the XA60.8s and be done. It also leave you more options in the future without running out of gas.

Any thoughts on the Linear Tube Audio MicroZotl preamp with the Passlabs? It has rave review, is affordable and they seem great to deal with. I think it is my favourite on my list at the moment.

Reactions: JasperJ

Sunra

Jul 16, 2018
I have the PAP Quintet15 Coax on order, and have the Passlabs XA60.8s to drive them. Preamp is open at the moment, I will drive the Pass direct from the DAVE in preamp mode for a while.

I love the Passlabs amps, and the XA60.8 is a big and beefy set, and handles most any speaker with ease. The PAP Duo15 and Quintet15 are 96dB efficient so 'can' run with tiny tube amps. But there are some who love big amps, even with high efficiency speakers, and like what they do, so I say if you can go for the XA60.8s and be done. It also leave you more options in the future without running out of gas.

Any thoughts on the Linear Tube Audio MicroZotl preamp with the Passlabs? It has rave review, is affordable and they seem great to deal with. I think it is my favourite on my list at the moment.
I think you will be pleased with the Pass XA60.8 driving your PAP Quintet 15 Coax OB speakers. I have no experience with the MicroZotl other than to mention it was on my short list. I side stepped tubes to keep things simple and am more than pleased with my Pass XP12.

You mention micro powered or low powered tube amps. I tried the Decware SE84UFO with anniversary mod, followed by the SE84UFO25. The first I picked up lightly used to try with my PAP Trio 15 Classics with the Voxative PiFe FR driver. The Decware was fine with jazz quartets and small scale music, but strained when pushed with larger ensembles or more dynamic music. The is was especially evident with the bass, and soundstage would collapse, layering disappeared. The Decware 25th Anniversary amp was fine, but IMO the standard SE84UFO with anniversary mod was the sweet spot in comparison. Basically a much better value. The Pass XA-25 just coasts along and betters the Decware sonically across the board.

Socrates428

Nov 28, 2018

I've had the LTA preamps top of the line preamp here...nice pre, and near on par with the Pass XP22 preamp in head-to-head testing with Pass XA100.8 monoblocks. For my system/tastes, I favored a Don Sachs preamp when feeling like adding more tube sound to the mix, as the LTA was more SS sounding and pass-through where the Sachs was slightly less transparent (making all music sound more alike, albeit beautifully so) yet added the 3D and tube density, halo, and other wonderful 6sn7 traits. Ultimately I preferred the Benchmark preamp over the Sachs, XP22 or LTA or many other preamps I've had (many over 10x its price!) for it's complete sonic disappearing act and nice remote, great interface, volume ramp, and other features. Although I rather like my dacs and amps and don't find any need to "tune" with a preamp....

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
I think you will be pleased with the Pass XA60.8 driving your PAP Quintet 15 Coax OB speakers. I have no experience with the MicroZotl other than to mention it was on my short list. I side stepped tubes to keep things simple and am more than pleased with my Pass XP12.

You mention micro powered or low powered tube amps. I tried the Decware SE84UFO with anniversary mod, followed by the SE84UFO25. The first I picked up lightly used to try with my PAP Trio 15 Classics with the Voxative PiFe FR driver. The Decware was fine with jazz quartets and small scale music, but strained when pushed with larger ensembles or more dynamic music. The is was especially evident with the bass, and soundstage would collapse, layering disappeared. The Decware 25th Anniversary amp was fine, but IMO the standard SE84UFO with anniversary mod was the sweet spot in comparison. Basically a much better value. The Pass XA-25 just coasts along and betters the Decware sonically across the board.
Thank you your those encouraging opinions on my XA60.8s. I am looking forward to hearing the PAP Quintet15s with them.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
I've had the LTA preamps top of the line preamp here...nice pre, and near on par with the Pass XP22 preamp in head-to-head testing with Pass XA100.8 monoblocks. For my system/tastes, I favored a Don Sachs preamp when feeling like adding more tube sound to the mix, as the LTA was more SS sounding and pass-through where the Sachs was slightly less transparent (making all music sound more alike, albeit beautifully so) yet added the 3D and tube density, halo, and other wonderful 6sn7 traits. Ultimately I preferred the Benchmark preamp over the Sachs, XP22 or LTA or many other preamps I've had (many over 10x its price!) for it's complete sonic disappearing act and nice remote, great interface, volume ramp, and other features. Although I rather like my dacs and amps and don't find any need to "tune" with a preamp....
Interesting info on those preamps, thank you. Yes I heard the LTA is a transparent preamp for a tube gain stage, probably as it is OTL?

How is your Lampizator direct to your Passlabs? Is it close to the sound you get with the Benchmark, or miles off (worse)? I am kinda hoping I can go direct myself.

ecwl

Mar 20, 2021
Winnipeg, Canada
Having used Bryston monoblocks (7B ST and 7B SST)years ago, the more recent versions should be fine.

Other options I've used and found sonically yet better than the Brystons I had are:

Sanders Magtech Monoblocks
Sanders Magtech stereo amps (which sound better than the Sanders monoblocks and still have PLENTYy of power)
Audio by Van Alstine DVA M225
Benchmark AHB2 run in mono

The Benchmarks are what I currently use and I have absolutely no complaints. See my discussion at this link.
Bryston 7B3 is a huge leap over the 7B2. Unfortunately, I've never heard the 7B original series before.

My understanding is that if you don't like the 7B or 7B2 sound, you still might like the 7B3 sound.
But if you don't like the 7B3 sound, you definitely won't like the 7B/7B2 sound.

If OP can test Chord, Pass Labs and Bryston at home, I'm sure he can find a sound that he'd like.
Otherwise, one just gets overwhelmed by the analysis paralysis from the abundance of choice.

Reactions: NekoAudio

NekoAudio

Oct 28, 2023
San Jose, California
www.nekoaudio.com
The Bryston cubed series of amplifiers are much more tonally accurate with greater detail retrieval and a clearer sound, than the previous generation amplifiers. I like the cubed model amplifiers a lot more than the SST2 models.

Reactions: GSOphile and ecwl

Socrates428

Nov 28, 2018
Interesting info on those preamps, thank you. Yes I heard the LTA is a transparent preamp for a tube gain stage, probably as it is OTL?

How is your Lampizator direct to your Passlabs? Is it close to the sound you get with the Benchmark, or miles off (worse)? I am kinda hoping I can go direct myself.
I find the XA100.8s (and also the Pass XA30.8 I had previously) sound best ran balanced, and my Lampizator is SE. The Benchmark pre does the SE-balanced conversion brilliantly, so sounds best this way to me. The Tambaqui is excellent direct via XLR.

Republicoftexas69

Quit fond of my Gold Note PA-10s running in mono or bridged mode, GaN amplifiers. Sound wonderful in my listening space.

Hilroy48

Sep 15, 2021
Regina Sk Canada
I have enjoyed my Sugden Class A mono blocks for 2 years now. Give them a look

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
Another one to consider is the TriodeFET Amps

retired farmer

Oct 18, 2022
If you want tubes but it doesn't sound that way I would look at a pair of used canary reference amplifiers. But they have 16 300b tubes between them. A major bill when you need a new set. You will not find them analytical if my memory serves me correctly my ca 160s certainly are not analytical. If you want a pair of nos ca 160s I know where there is a pair for very little money.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing