Power Cables, High current versions vs Regular?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Francisco and David,
Everyone has their own interpretation and meaning of descriptors like "neutral". The better term for the Ching Cheng is "natural", that is, it conveys the timbre and tonality of instruments in a manner that sounds as one would expect from the real instrument. This is totally subjective of course.
(...)

Thanks for your comments, Marty. Although timbre and tonality of instruments are an important aspect of sound reproduction, there is a lot more in sound quality that I consider equally relevant. Perhaps I am not a golden ear listener - I can't evaluate timbre and tonality of instruments from the cellphone Youtube videos ;) - but I praise a lot the fluidity, energy, soundstage and layering of music. In stereo sound reproduction, these aspects are also conveyed manipulating the spectral characteristics of music - it is how great sound engineers can recreate a 3D illusion in our room with sound coming from two single physical sources. Systems will always be a balance of compromises - and here fortunately we become the accused, the jury and the judge, at best others are allowed to play the lawyers ...

IMHO the CC's strip some parts of the music in order to enhance others, as all other cables or equipment. Considering your speakers have high-efficiency and have a nice impedance curve I can't see any technical reason why they should electrically limit bass transients with your current amplifiers - again IMHO, they are affecting the sound in another way that subjectively suggests it. But yes, most power issues are still voodoo in stereo.

My opinion on "natural" has been slowly evolving to the point I now consider it as Babel Tower word - it mainly spreads confusion in debates, precluding any proper analysis.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I think that some confusion may be due to my inarticulation to describe what I'm trying to convey. The CC's do not lack low frequency content in terms of frequency response. How much clearer can I be on that point? If the source is, say, a sustained 32 Hz Organ pedal as in the Saint-Saen's Organ symphony, the CC's perform nicely. However, if you're playing transient low frequency bass notes at high power (i.e, the Jim Keltner Sheffield Drum track, or a synth bass such as Verla Baetz's "Slacking" on the Golden Circle album, which can melt walls at high volume), then the comparison becomes rather obvious. (Of course, with synth bass, the word "natural" becomes meaningless.) Don't overthink this. The CC is a great cable and has been reviewed as such by many users. For for the most compelling transmission of instant high current delivery of low frequency material to some power amps, I simply prefer something else.

Reactions: PeterA

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I think that some confusion may be due to my inarticulation to describe what I'm trying to convey. The CC's do not lack low frequency content in terms of frequency response. How much clearer can I be on that point? If the source is, say, a sustained 32 Hz Organ pedal as in the Saint-Saen's Organ symphony, the CC's perform nicely. However, if you're playing transient low frequency bass notes at high power (i.e, the Jim Keltner Sheffield Drum track, or a synth bass such as Verla Baetz's "Slacking" on the Golden Circle album, which can melt walls at high volume), then the comparison becomes rather obvious. (Of course, with synth bass, the word "natural" becomes meaningless.) Don't overthink this. The CC is a great cable and has been reviewed as such by many users. For for the most compelling transmission of instant high current delivery of low frequency material to some power amps, I simply prefer something else.

No power cable will affect the frequency response, even lamp cord - it is not what I was considering.

Instant high current delivery transmission issues should not exist in amplifiers using high frequency switched power supplies, such as yours. IMHO we must look elsewhere for the difference. It was why I wrote my comment.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing