Preamp choice for GoldeGate2 and ATC SCM50 (~20-25k)

Bobofei86

Apr 11, 2021
Hi Gents,

Im searching a preamp for a while to solve the impedance mis matching between my Lampizator GG2 and ATC SCM50 active (1.6kohm to 10kohm), actually i really like the sounds of the analog output from my GG2, but the bass and overall picture is limited and cause low frequency lost due to the mismatched...

I planned for around 20-25k budget and heard a few preamp already, However, most of them changed the tone and lost the transparency of my GG2. Really appreciate you guys advice which brand are more transparent or close to the tone of GG2 (Tubes: RK242 + GZ480)

Thanks so much
Joe

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Where are you located?
Aries Cerat Preamps are very transparent.
I have to admit though, that I don't know the input and output impedances of the Aries Cerat Preamps but they sound awesome in my system and in my friend Michael's system.
One little caveat, we both have Pacific DACs and I have also a TRP DAC (and had a GG1.9 before), so no GG2 but I'm pretty confident that the GG2 will also work with the Aries Cerat Preamps.

Bobofei86

Apr 11, 2021
Hi Christoph

I based in Hong Kong and looks like the local dealer didnt carry their product for a while, may i know which model you are using?

I really like the tone in GG2 by using the RK242 + GZ480 combo, thats why I may prefer a SS preamp which is more transparent and "Tasteless" but enhance the dynamic, stage and bass only, meanwhile, I know that 242 is a killer which is not that friendly to many preamps and cause the distortion due to high gain, may I know which tubes you are using in you Pac now?

Thanks again
Cheers
Joe

Last edited:
Reactions: K3RMIT

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi Christoph

I based in Hong Kong and looks like the local dealer didnt carry their product for a while, may i know which model you are using?

I really like the tone in GG2 by using the RK242 + GZ480 combo, thats why I may prefer a SS preamp which is more transparent and "Tasteless" but enhance the dynamic, stage and bass only, meanwhile, I know that 242 is a killer which is not that friendly to many preamps and cause the distortion due to high gain, may I know which tubes you are using in you Pac now?

Thanks again
Cheers
Joe
Hi Joe

I use the entry model "Incito" and my friend Michael the next model up, "Impera".
They both sound very transparent and very alive.
I also use the RK 242 with the RK 5u4g rectifier and Michael uses the RK PX25 (which is also high gain) and also the RK 5u4g recti.

Reactions: Bobofei86

Bobofei86

Apr 11, 2021
Hi Joe

I use the entry model "Incito" and my friend Michael the next model up, "Impera".
They both sound very transparent and very alive.
I also use the RK 242 with the RK 5u4g rectifier and Michael uses the RK PX25 (which is also high gain) and also the RK 5u4g recti.
Thanks Christoph :) Will do some research and see any demo can be arranged in HK

Reactions: christoph

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
I’m a big fan of the VTL 7.5 III. It imposes only a very light sonic signature, and one that I like at that. Luke at VTL will honestly answer technical questions to ensure that it’s a great match for your particular equipment. (Plus, it lets you do tube rolling in yet another element of your chain.)

I found their after sales service outstanding. At one point they built me a mono summing box so that I could send a proper mono feed to subs when using my unit in home theater settings, and not when using my unit in two channel settings.

Bobofei86

Apr 11, 2021
I’m a big fan of the VTL 7.5 III. It imposes only a very light sonic signature, and one that I like at that. Luke at VTL will honestly answer technical questions to ensure that it’s a great match for your particular equipment. (Plus, it lets you do tube rolling in yet another element of your chain.)

I found their after sales service outstanding. At one point they built me a mono summing box so that I could send a proper mono feed to subs when using my unit in home theater settings, and not when using my unit in two channel settings.
Thanks Bruce, I have a chance to hear the VTL combo in the local dealer in HK few months ago, it’s very solid and sounds very good, I will check this option as well, but I may prefer a SS preamp since I can roll the tube in my Lampi already and want to get a preamp to give more dynamic and punch

Last edited:

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
They may be a bit outside budget, but both CH L1 and Audionet Stern work very well with GG2. I also really enjoyed Thomas Myer 10Y but that is quite a different pre-amp. For something v transparent and "quick", the LTA amps which license David Berning's ZOTL designs are v good value for money.

Reactions: Bobofei86

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi Gents,

Im searching a preamp for a while to solve the impedance mis matching between my Lampizator GG2 and ATC SCM50 active (1.6kohm to 10kohm), actually i really like the sounds of the analog output from my GG2, but the bass and overall picture is limited and cause low frequency lost due to the mismatched...

I planned for around 20-25k budget and heard a few preamp already, However, most of them changed the tone and lost the transparency of my GG2. Really appreciate you guys advice which brand are more transparent or close to the tone of GG2 (Tubes: RK242 + GZ480)

Thanks so much
Joe
A budget of usd25k will allow you to select a good ss preamp from many traditionally famous hifi brands.

However here is a new ss preamp at <<usd20k (in HK) to which I have rectly listened.
Quite allrounded with a tinge of tube-like favor.
Worth an audition :

Bobofei86

Apr 11, 2021
They may be a bit outside budget, but both CH L1 and Audionet Stern work very well with GG2. I also really enjoyed Thomas Myer 10Y but that is quite a different pre-amp. For something v transparent and "quick", the LTA amps which license David Berning's ZOTL designs are v good value for money.
Thx HeiHei and I know that Stern is something spectacular :)
apart from the price, i cant find any dealer in HK for a demo...also heard that the previous models were not so reliable which need lots of service maintenance, i may need to check with them any authorized dealer in HK who can provide service maintenance as well

Bobofei86

Apr 11, 2021
A budget of usd25k will allow you to select a good ss preamp from many traditionally famous hifi brands.

However here is a new ss preamp at <<usd20k (in HK) to which I have rectly listened.
Quite allrounded with a tinge of tube-like favor.
Worth an audition :

Thanks CK, listened in their show room already and the details from P3 is one of the best i have ever listened, this one is shortlisted but i want to find few more options before i jump, honestly heard a lot of good words about Pilium but unfortunately no dealer in HK as well... Anyone have the chance to listen Pilium preamp? And your thoughts when compare with those classy players?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi Joe,
I am interested in Pilium too but there isn't any dealer in HK.
Alon Wolf employs a set of Pilium pre+monos to demo his M9 in the listening room of Magico factory.
202107_magico_5155c~2.jpg

IMHO the Soulnote P-3 mst be one of the best-buys in that price level.
It can fight with preamps of other brands which are 1.5x more expenaive.

Another interesting ss preamp <usd20k to note is the Westminiater Lab Quest preamp.

Bobofei86

Apr 11, 2021
Hi Joe,
Alon Wolf employs a set of Pilium pre+monos to demo his M9 in the listening room of Magico factory.
View attachment 80324

Another interesting ss preamp <usd20k to note is the Westminiater Lab Quest preamp.
100% agreed P3 is very good in terms of C/P, but during my demo section, i found their presentation is a bit "soft" and not very punchy, since i mainly listen to blues, rock, metal, jazz and R&b stuffs, their presentation style may not fit my listening preference, personally i find Bricasti m20 is better to present these kind of music, hopefully, I can arrange the home demo to test soon

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Yes, your taste (music & sound) is the most important determining factor.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
One other I forgot to mention is Riviera - there is something magical in these boxes, as they are incredibly harmonically rich, but quick, nimble and transparent at the same time.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
One other I forgot to mention is Riviera - there is something magical in these boxes, as they are incredibly harmonically rich, but quick, nimble and transparent at the same time.

The Riviera hybrids have a big jump in performance on changing the one valve they have to a Mullard, as we found in Gian's friend's system

Bobofei86

Apr 11, 2021
Thanks Bonzo :)
Shortlisted the finalists: Aries Cerat Incito S and Pilium Ares, will go for either one which got a lots of good feedback on WBF, but unfortunately I don’t have any chance to listen to the demo or arrange a trial in my system, heard that a few members using AC which is good match to Lampizator +242 tube, likely will go ahead for this option

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Hi Joe,
View attachment 80324

Wow what a awesome system.

moby2004

Jan 21, 2018
Having listened to many preamps with a Lampi Pacific DAC ( no experience with the GG2 sorry), I can say that Viva Audio Linea preamp is a very good choice as well in this budget ( transparent, dynamic) . Riviera preamp is a very good preamp as well (probably a bit “richer” but never listened with a Lampi dac .)
Passive pre like Bespoke is a possibility as well with a very high gain tube ( still you might find it lacking a bit of “punch”)
Alex

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing