Karen Sumner

Industry Expert
Apr 18, 2021
With the introduction of Transparent Generation 6, there are a few more than usual Gen 5, MM2, and older Transparent Cables available through the pre-owned market that offer a lot of performance and value. I hope many of you will want to take advantage of this opportunity.

Correct calibration is very important to the performance of all Transparent REFERENCE, XL, OPUS, and MAGNUM OPUS Audio Cables. REFERENCE level Audio Cables are available in high impedance (HI-Z) and low impedance (LO-Z) versions. XL, OPUS, and MAGNUM OPUS Audio Cables are closely calibrated to the specific impedance output characteristics of sources, preamplifiers, and amplifiers.

If one uses Transparent REFERENCE, XL, OPUS, or MAGNUM OPUS Audio Cables throughout a system that have been properly calibrated to the output impedance characteristics of their associated components, the sound should seem more tonally believable with rich instrumental timbres, dynamically alive, and capable of capturing much of the characteristics of the performance space with a greater sense of the presence of musicians and their instruments. As one progresses from REFERENCE upward each of the musical qualities described here take on another level of musical believability while also extending power delivery and resolution at the frequency extremes.

If what I describe is what you want to experience, we want to help you regardless of your preowned source.

Transparent keeps a complete database of serial numbers, models, and calibration details for every calibrated cable we have built, and we are happy to let you know whether the cables you are considering would be a good match for your current system. If you want to know how we keep all this information up-to-date, just ask.

If the cables you are considering purchasing need recalibration and or termination to fit optimally in your system, we are happy to take care of that for you.

If you purchased your pre-owned cable from an authorized dealer or distributor, your pre-owned cable comes with a limited lifetime warranty. The warranty entitles you to recalibrations at no charge for as long as you own the cables. As a result of the warranty, the owner can also participate in the Transparent upgrade program and receive substantial trade-in allowances toward the purchase of higher performance level cable.

If you purchased your pre-owned cables through a third party, the warranty is not transferrable. Transparent charges a nominal fee for recalibration. In addition, we have a very reasonable fee structure for any repairs or termination changes that might be necessary. Call 207-284-1100 or write to info@transparentcable.com for recalibration help and service.

Another approach would be to purchase a limited life-time warranty for pre-owned cables through an authorized Transparent dealer which will give you all the benefits of the original limited lifetime warranty, including recalibrations at no charge and trade-in/upgrade privileges. This could come in quite handy, particularly if you think you might want to upgrade your pre-owned cables to a higher level of performance at some point in the future or if you tend to change components in your system frequently.

Please feel free to ask me questions if you are considering purchasing some preowned Transparent.

Last edited:

spearl8

Sep 16, 2021
Hi Karen,
When cables are recalibrated are the network boxes opened and then something adjusted on the inside? I don’t need specific company secrets just wondering generally speaking how an existing cable is modified. I am enjoying my G6 Super speaker cables. Thank you.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hi Karen

What happens if you live outside of the USA?

Can the recalibration be carried out by each countries distributor or dealer?

I am in Australia.

dandylinpsst

Jun 12, 2010
With the introduction of Transparent Generation 6, there are a few more than usual Gen 5, MM2, and older Transparent Cables available through the pre-owned market that offer a lot of performance and value. I hope many of you will want to take advantage of this opportunity.

Correct calibration is very important to the performance of all Transparent REFERENCE, XL, OPUS, and MAGNUM OPUS Audio Cables. REFERENCE level Audio Cables are available in high impedance (HI-Z) and low impedance (LO-Z) versions. XL, OPUS, and MAGNUM OPUS Audio Cables are closely calibrated to the specific impedance output characteristics of sources, preamplifiers, and amplifiers.

If one uses Transparent REFERENCE, XL, OPUS, or MAGNUM OPUS Audio Cables throughout a system that have been properly calibrated to the output impedance characteristics of their associated components, the sound should seem more tonally believable with rich instrumental timbres, dynamically alive, and capable of capturing much of the characteristics of the performance space with a greater sense of the presence of musicians and their instruments. As one progresses from REFERENCE upward each of the musical qualities described here take on another level of musical believability while also extending power delivery and resolution at the frequency extremes.

If what I describe is what you want to experience, we want to help you regardless of your preowned source.

Transparent keeps a complete database of serial numbers, models, and calibration details for every calibrated cable we have built, and we are happy to let you know whether the cables you are considering would be a good match for your current system. If you want to know how we keep all this information up-to-date, just ask.

If the cables you are considering purchasing need recalibration and or termination to fit optimally in your system, we are happy to take care of that for you.

If you purchased your pre-owned cable from an authorized dealer or distributor, your pre-owned cable comes with a limited lifetime warranty. The warranty entitles you to recalibrations at no charge for as long as you own the cables. As a result of the warranty, the owner can also participate in the Transparent upgrade program and receive substantial trade-in allowances toward the purchase of higher performance level cable.

If you purchased your pre-owned cables through a third party, the warranty is not transferrable. Transparent charges a nominal fee for recalibration. In addition, we have a very reasonable fee structure for any repairs or termination changes that might be necessary. Call 207-284-1100 or write to info@transparentcable.com for recalibration help and service.

Another approach would be to purchase a limited life-time warranty for pre-owned cables through an authorized Transparent dealer which will give you all the benefits of the original limited lifetime warranty, including recalibrations at no charge and trade-in/upgrade privileges. This could come in quite handy, particularly if you think you might want to upgrade your pre-owned cables to a higher level of performance at some point in the future or if you tend to change components in your system frequently.

Please feel free to ask me questions if you are considering purchasing some preowned Transparent.
Hi Karen:
If I am not satisfied with the service and lack of professionalism of the countries distributor ,Is there any other way to buy Transparent cable?
I plan to buy G6 XL SC to connect my Rockport speakers
Thank you.

Karen Sumner

Industry Expert
Apr 18, 2021
Hi Karen,
When cables are recalibrated are the network boxes opened and then something adjusted on the inside? I don’t need specific company secrets just wondering generally speaking how an existing cable is modified. I am enjoying my G6 Super speaker cables. Thank you.
Hi, spearl8 -

Yes, the network boxes are taken apart, and we make the calibration adjustments to the network that is inside the box. It is also protocol to clean and polish the outer modules and repair/replace any connections that are in need of attention.

Congratulations on your SUPER Speaker Cable acquisition! SUPER cables have a universal calibration so you do not need to worry about calibration yet. ULTRA Audio Cables which are the next step up in performance from SUPER also have universal calibration. If you upgrade to REFERENCE at some point in the future, your dealer and we would need to know the brand and model of your amplifier to make sure that the cables work more ideally with your system.

I am happy to answer any questions you might have about the other links in your system.

Karen Sumner

Industry Expert
Apr 18, 2021
Hi Karen

What happens if you live outside of the USA?

Can the recalibration be carried out by each countries distributor or dealer?

I am in Australia.
Hi, XV-1 -

The cables would need to be sent to us for recalibration. You and your distributor would be responsible for shipping costs both ways. We would perform the recalibration and refurbishment at no charge provided the cables are under warranty. We will provide the necessary "warranty repair" paperwork on our end to insure that the shipping goes as expected without incurring import/export duties and taxes.

Karen Sumner

Industry Expert
Apr 18, 2021
Hi Karen:
If I am not satisfied with the service and lack of professionalism of the countries distributor ,Is there any other way to buy Transparent cable?
I plan to buy G6 XL SC to connect my Rockport speakers
Thank you.
Hi, Dandylinpsst —

We will try to find a way to make this work. What is the country where you live? We will handle the details by personal message or a phone call.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
As a 17-consecutive-year owner of Transparent Cables...I have used this program, and it is great. A big fan, and now all of our cables are able to recalibrated as necessary in the future. In fact, with the recent changes of equipment, we asked, and the current calibrations of most of them were fine which was nice to see...and as has been remarked recently, the answer from TA came back directly within less then 24 hours. That's service.

Reactions: Karen Sumner

carl13

Feb 6, 2020
If you ever wondered if networked cables could improve your system, this is a great opportunity.

I had a chance to try a full tuned loom of REFERENCE cables in my system. They didn't work for me, but they're worth a try.

Karen Sumner

Industry Expert
Apr 18, 2021
If you ever wondered if networked cables could improve your system, this is a great opportunity.

I had a chance to try a full tuned loom of REFERENCE cables in my system. They didn't work for me, but they're worth a try.
Our dealer in the Northwest, Definitive Audio, is very committed to helping their customers find the best solutions for their home music and film system needs. They have been a very valued Transparent partner for decades. Customers can audition everything from Transparent hardwired to Magnum OPUS there. I am very glad you had this opportunity.

carl13

Feb 6, 2020
Our dealer in the Northwest, Definitive Audio, is very committed to helping their customers find the best solutions for their home music and film system needs. They have been a very valued Transparent partner for decades. Customers can audition everything from Transparent hardwired to Magnum OPUS there. I am very glad you had this opportunity.
Never heard of Definitive Audio and have never had any contact with them.

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
They are probably the largest highend dealer in the Seattle area.
At least they were when I lived there 2001.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
over the years done lots of business with Definitive. great organization. and back in the day i happened to purchase 2 sets of Transparent Audio Opus MM speaker cables from them for 2 stereo darTZeel 108 amps and vertically bi-amped my Von Schweikert VR9 SE's. this was 2005/2006.

it was awesome sounding. the 2 sets of Opus MM speaker cables did not suck.

Last edited:

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I can say Transparent was quick to recalibrate my speaker cables and a pair of interconnects when I moved from Audio Research to Pilium. (Thank you to my friends @ Definitive) With a lot of new gear I have been reluctant to wander into the “new cables” abyss. Thankfully, the Transparent cables sound great with the Pilium gear and 3 different pairs of speakers.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing